Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,685 ✭✭✭CoBo55

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Further note: Since switching to modem mode with Virgin router and sticking an OpenWRT box in front of it, my internet has been rock solid. Come November I will be looking hard at:
    * Fair usage limits
    * Existing customer speeds, experiences
    * Supplied hardware
    * Upload speeds

How much are you using now with VM?
    Customer speeds seems to be a minefield at the moment, I'd be more inclined to haggle hard with VM for a half price deal. I'm on half price for 6 months, many are getting half price for 9 months.
    Supplied hardware shouldn't be a problem you can just use your open wrt router.
    Upload looks to be maxed out at 100mb/s with all providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wpisdu

Got Vodafone FTTH connected a couple of days ago, totally delighted! I'm using my own Asus RT-AX86U router and it's totally rocking (getting 940Mbps/100Mbps)! What a difference for online gaming also, ping reduced by 40% on average, jitter from average 4ms on Virgin to 0.5ms on Vodafone FTTH. What a time to be alive :)

Btw VM offered me 35e for the first 6 months and then 71 for 500Mbps, Vodafone is 39.95 for 12 months for 1Gbps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

CoBo55 wrote: »
    How much are you using now with VM?
    Customer speeds seems to be a minefield at the moment, I'd be more inclined to haggle hard with VM for a half price deal. I'm on half price for 6 months, many are getting half price for 9 months.
    Supplied hardware shouldn't be a problem you can just use your open wrt router.
    Upload looks to be maxed out at 100mb/s with all providers.

3.5TB (up + down combined) - which is high I know!

3.5TB (up + down combined) - which is high I know!

I'd be sticking with VM:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Got their email this morning, yep still no sign of it going live, the rolls of fibre dotted around the town are almost a year old now, what a shambles of an outfit.

Exact same, the fibre is rolled up on the ESB pole outside the house. Thought it would be a quick process as the ESB feed to the house is right there but something is not adding up.
    Where's the holdup does anyone know? Is it Siro or ...

• Advertisement

Exact same, the fibre is rolled up on the ESB pole outside the house. Thought it would be a quick process as the ESB feed to the house is right there but something is not adding up.
    Where's the holdup does anyone know? Is it Siro or ...

It's Siro (according to digiweb).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Just wanted to add back that I've been toying around trying to figure out why I'm getting only 260mb down.

Finally changing DNS to a public provider transformed it instantly. Now I'm getting 800mb almost consistently the last 30-60 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Just wanted to add back that I've been toying around trying to figure out why I'm getting only 260mb down.

Finally changing DNS to a public provider transformed it instantly. Now I'm getting 800mb almost consistently the last 30-60 mins

That doesn't sound right - the DNS simply translates web address like www.google.ie to IP addresses like 74.125.193.94 and it will only do it once for a large file download...

Now having a fast DNS server is important for things like initial web page loading time so making your change is a good thing. FYI I use:
    1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 as mine which were at the time the fastest (see https://1.1.1.1/dns/ for more info).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

That doesn't sound right - the DNS simply translates web address like www.google.ie to IP addresses like 74.125.193.94 and it will only do it once for a large file download...

Now having a fast DNS server is important for things like initial web page loading time so making your change is a good thing. FYI I use:
    1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 as mine which were at the time the fastest (see https://1.1.1.1/dns/ for more info).

I agree. It should be millieseconds saved per connection. Speed test should have no impact, but once I swappe the DNS the graphs swung upwards. I cannot fathom why. It doesn't make any sense.

I use Cloudflares aswell now.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

Just got Siro installed from pure telecom today. Supposed to be 1GB download. What's the best way of testing the speed. When I test it over wi-fi on a laptop I'm only getting about 50mb/s and when I plug the laptop into the router I get about 400 mb/s.

It's perfect for what I need but curious how I can see if I'm getting the 1gb I was promised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

20mb all day normally 250mb.
    Has anyone come across this before? Could it be the modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 redeye101

Sunny!! wrote: »
    20mb all day normally 250mb.
    Has anyone come across this before? Could it be the modem?

Try connecting to the 5Ghz network on your Gigabox router, you’ll have faster wireless speed on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

redeye101 wrote: »
    Try connecting to the 5Ghz network on your Gigabox router, you’ll have faster wireless speed on that.

Yup did that switched back to 2.4 then as well and same result...

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Just got Siro installed from pure telecom today. Supposed to be 1GB download. What's the best way of testing the speed. When I test it over wi-fi on a laptop I'm only getting about 50mb/s and when I plug the laptop into the router I get about 400 mb/s.

It's perfect for what I need but curious how I can see if I'm getting the 1gb I was promised.

Firstly if you signed up for the 1GB service then your download speed should be between 880-942mb with a ping of about 5 connecting the laptop to the modem via cable. Also is is best to use either a CAT5e or 6 cable. (use www.speedtest.net and select a server like Blacknight for example).

Also does your laptop support 5ghz for wi fi? You will know this if you see 2 versions of the same modem on the available networks option. If this is the case click on the 5ghz one and enter the long WLAN network key and click connect. You should see faster speeds of on average between 200-460mb depending on distance.

Lastly on the day of installation did the installer do a speed test on his laptop before he left, showing you the speeds he was getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Ring them in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

cunnijo wrote: »
    Firstly if you signed up for the 1GB service then your download speed should be between 880-942mb with a ping of about 5 connecting the laptop to the modem via cable. Also is is best to use either a CAT5e or 6 cable. (use www.speedtest.net and select a server like Blacknight for example).

Also does your laptop support 5ghz for wi fi? You will know this if you see 2 versions of the same modem on the available networks option. If this is the case click on the 5ghz one and enter the long WLAN network key and click connect. You should see faster speeds of on average between 200-460mb depending on distance.

Lastly on the day of installation did the installer do a speed test on his laptop before he left, showing you the speeds he was getting?

Thanks. Will try the laptop again tomorrow.

He didn't show me any speed test and I tried to stay away from him doing his work under the current circumstances.

The Fritz box router is connected to the Siro box on the wall via a LAN port on the router. Is this normal? On the old Vodafone router it was connected to the wall socket via the DSL port.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thanks. Will try the laptop again tomorrow.

He didn't show me any speed test and I tried to stay away from him doing his work under the current circumstances.

The Fritz box router is connected to the Siro box on the wall via a LAN port on the router. Is this normal? On the old Vodafone router it was connected to the wall socket via the DSL port.

Yes, this isn't DSL. You could plug your laptop into the siro box directly if you have a fixed an IP on your laptop.
    Is your laptop capable of gig speeds? What about a decent phone on the 5Ghz wifi? Should be able to get up to 300? I have a laptop that can get 500 on wifi but 4 other laptops struggle to get above the 150-200 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

Hey Guys,

Every second night, for the last year, at 10pm my SIRO connection with PURE drops consistently for a few minutes.

jogBbiG.png

Thoughts? Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Could be your DHCP lease refreshing? It last for 24 hours I think. Is your IP changing?

alan4cult wrote: »
    Could be your DHCP lease refreshing? It last for 24 hours I think. Is your IP changing?

IP address remains the same.

• Advertisement

TLI working on behalf of Siro here in Enniscorthy looks like they're connecting into power cabinets, first bit of work I've seen getting done since last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭RonnieL

stamjoe wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Every second night, for the last year, at 10pm my SIRO connection with PURE drops consistently for a few minutes.

Thoughts? Cheers..

Where did you get that output? I'm with pure the last couple of months only, and it's generally been excellent, but I've noticed the odd drop recently and it would be handy to be able to see when they occurred if I need to get on to their tech support.

RonnieL wrote: »
    Where did you get that output? I'm with pure the last couple of months only, and it's generally been excellent, but I've noticed the odd drop recently and it would be handy to be able to see when they occurred if I need to get on to their tech support.

Probably a router log. Maybe he has his own router that gives more info. 10pm is a very annoying time to be going down:mad:

Probably a router log. Maybe he has his own router that gives more info. 10pm is a very annoying time to be going down:mad:

Yeah it's the log on the fritzbox, quite annoying being down for 3/4 minutes, it's really strange to happen every second night for almost a year now, think I'll just switch from Pure, I was with Airwire, great support there, not getting much from Pure hence a post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Trying turning off the router at say 11pm and wait and see if it moves to 11pm drop the following night.
    Sounds like a DHCP lease renewal to me but could be something on their side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I checked my fritzbox and I have the same event log at 1:30am every second day. mix of errors and successes. Same IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭RonnieL

TheDriver wrote: »
    I checked my fritzbox and I have the same event log at 1:30am every second day. mix of errors and successes. Same IP address.

Same here, but at about 08:30. Some days it reconnects within a second, other times there's an error before succeeding a minute or two later. Doesn't bother me, but handy to know if I get complaints some Saturday morning about Peppa pig not working.

alan4cult wrote: »
    Trying turning off the router at say 11pm and wait and see if it moves to 11pm drop the following night.
    Sounds like a DHCP lease renewal to me but could be something on their side too.

I'll try something like that, 10:30pm couldn't be a worse time for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

If unplugging it resets the time it disconnects, then maybe get a smart plug or cheaper timer plug on it to restart it every night around 3am.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Advertisement