Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vintage amp for technics 1200

• 02-01-2021 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I’m looking to set up my technics 1200 in the living room but want to get a decent vintage (1980s look in silver opposed to black) amp to accompany it. It will be housed in a unit so I’m looking for it to have a decent visual display as well as decent sound. I appreciate that second hand is the way to go but am at a loss on where to start. I’ve used my pioneer hi fi for over 25 years but want to move on.
    I’m looking at a budget of under 300-350 euro.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,

You could keep an eye on Adverts.ie for a while - vintage kit routinely comes up for sale and you can always check a persons trading history for reassurance to see if they regularly deal in similar kit.

This seller https://www.adverts.ie/member/671207/ads usually has decent vintage stuff for sale ( I haven’t traded with this person but their trading history and rating speaks for itself)

This seller https://www.adverts.ie/member/416220/ads also has had vintage hifi items for sale - check their “sold” items - I bought a set of speakers from this person in the past and would recommend them without hesitation.

You can always search adverts “sold” items using the names of the kind of equipment you’re looking for to find other sellers. You could also use one of their existing ads to get in touch and they might keep you in mind if something suitable crosses their path.

Not intending to be negative, but you should bear in mind that vintage ( 70s 80s ) amplifiers are often comparatively low powered and you could check with the seller if they’ve been recently serviced (a receipt from a reputable service centre is a good indicator) or keep in mind that it might be worth your while getting it serviced yourself. Something built in the 1970s is now getting on for 50years old.

Hope that helps, good luck with the search.

Ritz.

Advertisement