Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin and Unify

• 07-11-2020 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

We're on the 500 Mb package with VM. House is concrete so signal very poor. I listened to a friend and went for the Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway (VM Hub put in modem mode) and two Ubiquiti UniFi nanoHD Access Point (UAP-NanoHD) [WLAN AC, 4x4 MU-MIMO, 1733 Mbit/s + 300 Mbit/s]. One upstairs and one downstairs and the app is telling me that there's a 1 Gb connection to the access points. Speed tests also decent enough but very often working from home, my laptop or even my iPhone 11 telling me my connection is poor and causing issues with connection on MS Teams (which we use at work).
    Not sure if this is a VPN issue (most colleagues with poor connection do not have same issues as I do). Obviously, in my simplistic interpretation, the latency must be going up to cause issues.
    I do not know much about configuration etc so would be grateful if anyone could tell me if there's any fine tuning that can be done to fix these issues. Planning to move away from VM to FTH soon so not sure if the current issues are to be blamed to VM or something else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mrbubbles

If it's working fine with the VPN turned off then it sounds like a VPN configuration issue. However, there are a number of VPN protocols and your own setup is likely to be highly tailored towards the network to which you're connecting, so it will be difficult to troubleshoot as an outsider. You've mentioned that the VPN is for work, is there an IT department who can give you a hand double checking everything?

If it's still shakey even with the VPN turned then that would indicate a network issue, in which case you'll probably have better luck getting help here.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

mrbubbles wrote: »
    If it's working fine with the VPN turned off then it sounds like a VPN configuration issue. However, there are a number of VPN protocols and your own setup is likely to be highly tailored towards the network to which you're connecting, so it will be difficult to troubleshoot as an outsider. You've mentioned that the VPN is for work, is there an IT department who can give you a hand double checking everything?

If it's still shakey even with the VPN turned then that would indicate a network issue, in which case you'll probably have better luck getting help here.

Thanks @mrbubbles
    I have ordered Digiweb SIRO which will be installed on Thursday. See how I get on with it and then if issues still persist, get someone to look at our network at home. Not sure work IT would like to tune VPN settings for individuals but I might have to ask! I have asked the Digiweb rep on boards about latency etc. so he's assure me it's low on electric internet (SIRO) when connected via cable and low enough on WIFI

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mrbubbles

Is it a work VPN that you're referring to (i.e. to connect to your office network) or a 3rd party VPN company (e.g. NordVPN)?

If it's a work VPN and the issue only persists when it's switched on then it'll be an issue with the VPN specifically; your work IT department might be the only people who can troubleshoot it. If it's a work VPN and you're trying to connect to your work network, they should be happy to help.

If it's a 3rd party VPN then, I agree, they probably won't want to touch it, which is fair enough.

Just go through a process of elimination by isolating/testing each aspect:
    • Plugging in your laptop to the router directly will eliminate the possibility that it's a WIFI issue.
    • If it works fine with VPN switched off but not with VPN switched on then it's a VPN issue
    • If it's broken in both cases, it's an internet issue.

Advertisement