Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

• 15-06-2012 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Decided I'd get in here ahead of everyone else. My enthusiasm remains undimmed for the holy grail of schools rugby after Michael's dismissed the naysayers and trumped over favourites Clongowes in the March decider.

Schools pretty much have already started training really with their weekly weights, fitness and tip activities.

Not too much activity to comment on for the moment but we'll see more as time progresses. Feel free to comment if you want to discuss squads, coaches, opinions on the season ahead etc..

My view: Terenure favourites but 'Rock, CWC and Michael's trailing close. Mightly 'Nure team could win it for the first time since 2002.

OFF TOPIC MOD NOTE:
    Anyone looking for info or wanting to discuss Provincial Schools rugby in general may find the correct thread by clicking here.

Who Will Win The Leinster Schools Senior Cup 2013? 239 votes

Clongowes Wood
    0% 0 votes
    St Michael's College
    11% 28 votes
    Blackrock College
    19% 47 votes
    Belvedere College
    20% 50 votes
    Terenure College
    7% 19 votes
    St Mary's College
    29% 71 votes
    Castleknock College
    6% 15 votes
    Other
    3% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

This years Terenure team have been heavily tipped to win it. I've heard people saying it for the last 2 years or so. Lets hope they are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm more interested in keeping an eye on individual players than who wins the cup. The players I'm gonna be watching with interest are: Jack O'Neill, Nick Timoney, Rory O'Farrell, and Harrison Brewer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

I created a thread a few weeks ago http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78456806
    Provincial squads will begin training in 2-3 weeks time and players will have been given weight/fitness programmes etc for both schools sides and provincial sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

This year will be Terenure's big chance. They have 10 players back who started the semi final against Clongowes. Plus two more back from injury-both of whom would have started. Plus 2 more who played for Leinster. The group have been unbeaten all the way up and won the junior cup 3 years ago putting 51 points on Clongowes and 'Michaels. I honestly think only injuries can stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Hagz wrote: »
    I'm more interested in keeping an eye on individual players than who wins the cup. The players I'm gonna be watching with interest are: Jack O'Neill, Nick Timoney, Rory O'Farrell, and Harrison Brewer.
    Billy Dardis, Conor McKeon and Bobby Holland are names to look out for aswell

• Advertisement

Billy Dardis, Conor McKeon and Bobby Holland are names to look out for aswell

Didn't know Dardis and Holland had another year. Definitely guys to look out for. Especially Dardis.

Didn't know Dardis and Holland had another year. Definitely guys to look out for. Especially Dardis.

Dardis definitely does, only 90% sure on Holland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rugbyman2015

Ormondlad I like your thread as it covers all competitions but the Leinster competition is very big and always dominates boards.ie every year in the rugby forum. Would it be ok to keep both yours and this thread open?

I think Michael's will be in better shape than three years ago at JCT with confidence (members of winning 2012 squad), superb out half (Ross Byrne) and the general leveling out in terms of physique and skill level that occurs between jct and sct.

Belvedere haven't got much to write home about next season once more. Not a great group coming forward when you consider the disaster in 2010 in the first round.

Blackrock will be looking good. They were tipped in the semi three years ago and will have a heap of jct winners from 2011 (notables Nick Timoney and Oliver Jaeger, two physical specimens to say the least).

Castleknock could be a dark horse. 8 Leinster players from fifth and sixth year. Jack O'Neill will be at his peak at it's his final cup season. This is the same group that were unbeaten till Christmas as J's. They also have a fifth year group that lost only two matches in 2010-2011, one of those being a narrow lose to Michael's. A resurgence is beginning to happen there.

Don't have much info on Clongowes. Know they were semi-finalists in 2010 and 2011. Presume they'll be in the running but not favourites this time round for once.

I think Michael's will be in better shape than three years ago at JCT with confidence (members of winning 2012 squad), superb out half (Ross Byrne) and the general leveling out in terms of physique and skill level that occurs between jct and sct.

Belvedere haven't got much to write home about next season once more. Not a great group coming forward when you consider the disaster in 2010 in the first round.

Blackrock will be looking good. They were tipped in the semi three years ago and will have a heap of jct winners from 2011 (notables Nick Timoney and Oliver Jaeger, two physical specimens to say the least).

Castleknock could be a dark horse. 8 Leinster players from fifth and sixth year. Jack O'Neill will be at his peak at it's his final cup season. This is the same group that were unbeaten till Christmas as J's. They also have a fifth year group that lost only two matches in 2010-2011, one of those being a narrow lose to Michael's. A resurgence is beginning to happen there.

Don't have much info on Clongowes. Know they were semi-finalists in 2010 and 2011. Presume they'll be in the running but not favourites this time round for once.

Totally agree re Castleknock, big strong team, favourites for the Js three years ago, wouldn't put it past them to upset a few apple carts.
    It seems like Rock are in with a chance, haven't had much to shout about these last couple of years but they look like potential winners this year.
    However, my favourites would have to be Terenure, 12 out of last years starting XV returning and were unfortunate not to go all the way last year. Look at Brewer, Dardis and Stephen O'Neill to take the title back to Dublin 6W.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I think Terenure have to win it this year for their own sake. Ten years since their last win and they are very thin on the talent level after this year. If they fail, it could be a while before we see 'Nure pick up the cup again.

Hope Dardis gets moved to out half. He looked really good there in the last fifteen minutes of the semi final.
    To be honest, I think Terenure have to win it this year for their own sake. Ten years since their last win and they are very thin on the talent level after this year. If they fail, it could be a while before we see 'Nure pick up the cup again.

Agreed. They will be under pressure big time to deliver

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Decided I'd get in here ahead of everyone else. My enthusiasm remains undimmed for the holy grail of schools rugby after Michael's dismissed the naysayers and trumped over favourites Clongowes in the March decider.

Schools pretty much have already started training really with their weekly weights, fitness and tip activities.

Not too much activity to comment on for the moment but we'll see more as time progresses. Feel free to comment if you want to discuss squads, coaches, opinions on the season ahead etc..

My view: Terenure favourites but 'Rock, CWC and Michael's trailing close. Mightly 'Nure team could win it for the first time since 2002.
    I object to this thread it's too early. It's like Christmas advertising at Easter time. Toooo soooon go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

It's do or die for the Gick, that's for sure. At the moment I'd back Blackrock as they'll be coming in under the radar after the last two seasons - all eyes will be on Michael's and the Terenure as the main contenders. Doubt we'll see much from Belvedere or Clongowes and I think it'll take a great draw to see Mary's get anything out of this competition.

That said it'll all become clearer once the friendlies get under way in a few months time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

amtw wrote: »
    I object to this thread it's too early. It's like Christmas advertising at Easter time. Toooo soooon go away.

I agree.....its ridiculous......park it till October and we can shoot the breeze then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

ormond lad wrote: »
    I created a thread a few weeks ago ...

From what I saw, your thread was nothing more than an long winded and boring debate as to whether or not your thread was a good idea.

From what I saw, your thread was nothing more than an long winded and boring debate as to whether or not your thread was a good idea.
    Because several posters whinged and moaned about something different being done and didnt actually just get on and comment on rugby
    As i said in that thread all the Munster/Ulster schools play the Leinster schools from september to january and this way all comments can be seen and commented in 1 thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

ormond lad wrote: »
    Because several posters whinged and moaned about something different being done and didnt actually just get on and comment on rugby...

My point is that the vast majority of other users appear to disagree with your opinion that there should only be one Schools Rugby thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If all you're going to do is debate whether or not there should be threads, then clearly there mustn't be much to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Hope I'm wrong but I think Terenure have it in the bag next year. Very strong team coming through. Michael's and Clongowes relatively strong too. Can never write off Blackrock. Belvo and Mary's aren't up to much I believe.

• Advertisement

Lads I see I made a mistake in my first point in saying Terenure last won the Cup in 2002 when in actual fact it was 2003. Quint would want to make sure I got that one right ;).

Just going off the point but how do you edit an original post on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Lads I see I made a mistake in my first point in saying Terenure last won the Cup in 2002 when in actual fact it was 2003. Quint would want to make sure I got that one right ;).

Just going off the point but how do you edit an original post on this?

Go to your post and hit the EDIT button on the bottom right hand side of the post itself.

.ak wrote: »
    Go to your post and hit the EDIT button on the bottom right hand side of the post itself.

See what you mean. Cheers. Only problem was when I went to one of my posts from a good while back the edit button had disappeared but remained on my recent ones. Will know for next time.

Getting back to the rugby is it true that Nick Timoney was vice-captain of the SCT in Blackrock last season considering he was only in 4th year? They have some unit in Oliver Jager!

Heard that Timoney benches 150kg? What kinda monkeys are they putting out on the field these days? You'd want to back up your physique with performances in my view. Nothing wrong with teams training professionally (very important actually) but skill is something that needs to be looked at if long term we want to be up there with the likes of the All Blacks.

Already!?
    I haven't prepared for the Leinster Schools 'I heard' comments yet.

Already!?
    I haven't prepared for the Leinster Schools 'I heard' comments yet.

Maybe time to get the mods to ban us using 'heard' in posts from now on. Take everything with a serious pinch of salt they say.

Anyone know how long the U18 interprovincial comp will run for?

Anyone know how long the U18 interprovincial comp will run for?
    The u18 schools interpros are generally played in the first 2-3 weeks of september. Some games will be on wednesdays and others on saturdays.

Saw Bryan Cullen in Terenure College yesterday. In his profile it says he is training the sub academy but is he helping training the Schools U18 team? Are they using Terenure as their base?..

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Saw Bryan Cullen in Terenure College yesterday. In his profile it says he is training the sub academy but is he helping training the Schools U18 team? Are they using Terenure as their base?..

Has the squad even been announced yet? I haven't seen it, although I assume the players themselves knew since 4th year

• Advertisement

Has the squad even been announced yet? I haven't seen it, although I assume the players themselves knew since 4th year
    Leinster unlike the other provinces normally dont announce any of their underage intepro squads until late august or early september right before the interpro games are played.
    If you really want to know the 18s/19s squads you can have a look at different club and school websites where there may be news of players making the squads. For example im fairly sure i heard recent Jack Feeney, an outside back and super footballer from roscrea is in the leinster 19s squad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement