Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

STI Clinics in Ireland (list in first post updated 10/08/2010)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

Have read the thread on STI awareness and while it's got very good information in it and advice that we could all do with taking on board and is'nt avaible haft as widely as it should be. I do think one of the over all effect is to put a bit of the frighteners on people and I don't think thats particularly usefull for a number of reasons.

* Fear is not a good motivator for behaviour change.
    * Yes Condoms do not offer 100% protection from all STI but they do provide the best protection from the more series infections
    * Sex can be a wonderful positive powerfull force in peoples lives and that shouldn't be forgotten.
    * If people have taken risks making them feel guilty or embrassed doesn't help the problem.
    *While some STI's have very series consequences or can be with you for life others aren't really that big of a deal, if you go for regular STI check ups.
    * STI's are just infections (usualy of a bacterial nature) not a judgment on your behaviour and we need to demistify them if we are series about getting people to attend for regular STI check ups (like a sexual health MOT)
    *If at some stage over your sexual life you pick up a case of NSU or Gonorrhea, if you are getting regular STI check ups it's not the end of the world.

May get my head bitten off for some of this but I though we could do with some perspective on the topic.

just to recap
    Yes do use condoms
    Yes do get regular sexual health check ups
    Yes do have fun and enjoy your sexuality

• Registered Users Posts: 40,736 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes I agree with you, I think the best thing is to promote Safe sex and as you regular sexual health check ups

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

these talks and all the info are somewhat excessive if ppl would just use a condom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

amusing and informative yellum :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Just plain brilliant!

If only I'd seen it last night, we had a Carol Service......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

had a science teacher in 2nd yr putting a condom on a test tube as part of the biological side of science. There's a confusion over who should be teaching it. I got sex-ed in primary school here and in canada, and in secondary here. They were more open talking to 11 yr olds in cananda then teenagers over here. We got split in to groups, girls went off to chat about their thing, we ours.

Having open parents was a great help as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

I agree with all you have said. People don't know where they have been, and they are blindingly trustful, or even fearful. We need to do some thing about this as a society or we will not make it to the next century in one piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Angelic Eyes

I have read what everyone has said, I totaly agree with your viewpoints, however to those of you who don't see the harm in f**king aroug, then please GROW UP. This is the real world and bad things happen.

That said, it is worth bearing in mind thatbut please keep in mind that you don't know these people. They could be just lazy, reality deficient idiots who deserve what they get, or they could be going through hell. To see what I mean. read below.

They could be in a abusive relationship, afraid to leave and afraid to stay. When that happens, you lose all choice. Forget contraception, forget consent, its all about THEM and their evil ways.

This has happened to a good few girls I know- and evary one of them is to damn terrifed to see it- you live in denial. Even when (if) you break out of it, you are to afraid, to ashamed to seek help.

The biggest problem we have in relation to Sex Ed, in particular STI Ed, is societys opinions. Its never the mans fault........................always the womens, you know the attitude. "cause she can get pregnant and we can't so its not our job"

Well I ask you this........................how the f**k can a woman force a man into her? there is head and hey thats about it.

For everyone who gets this, and is safe- well done

For anyone in such a relationship, please get out of it. I know how scary it is, I know how bad it feels. I have been there, and left there.

They are the kind of scars that never leave , but they do get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Dublin
    St. James's Hospital, Dublin 8
    The Department of Genitourinary Medicine and Infectious Diseases (GUIDE) Clinic
    Tel: (01) 4162315 / 4162316
    Appointments / Emergency Walk-in Service

STI Clinics General
    Monday & Friday 9.30am - 12.30pm
    Tuesday & Thursday 1.30pm - 3.00pm (By appointment only)

Young Person's Clinic (appointment)
    Thursday 10.30am - 11.30pm

Syphilis Screening & Treatment
    Tuesday & Thursday 9.30am - 11.30am

HIV Clinics General
    Monday 1.30pm - 4.30pm
    Wednesday 8.30am - 11.30pm

New patients (Diagnostic Evaluation Unit)
    Wednesday 2.30pm - 4.00pm (By appointment only)

Infectious Diseases Clinic
    Friday 2.00pm - 4.00pm (By appointment only)

Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Eccles St., Dublin 7
    Tel: (01) 830 1122
    Monday - Thursday (STI Clinic) - 2.00pm - 4.00pm
    Thursday (HIV Testing) - 10.30am - 12.30pm
    Tuesday (Follow up medical monitoring for patients with chronic infectious diseases, including HIV) - 9.30am - 1.00pm

Baggot Street Clinic, 19 Haddington Road, Dublin 4
    Tel: (01) 6602189/2227.

Gay Men's Health Project
    Tuesday 6.30pm - 8.00pm
    Wednesday 6.00pm - 7.30pm

Women's Health Project
    Wednesday 2.00pm - 4.00pm

Aisling Clinic, Cherry Orchard Hospital, Ballyfermot Road, Dublin 10
    Tel: (01) 620 6010
    HIV Clinic - Tuesday 2.00pm - 4.00pm
    City Clinic, 108 Amiens Street, Dublin 3
    Tel: (01) 855 5310
    HIV Testing - Monday 2.00pm - 4.00pm

IFPA
    5/7 Cathal Brugha Street, Dublin 1.
    Tel: 01 - 872 7088 / 874 2110
    Fax: 01 - 872 5734
    OPENING HOURS
    Monday: 9.30am - 8pm
    Tuesday: 9.30am - 7pm
    Wednesday: 9.30am - 7pm
    Thursday: 9.30am - 8pm
    Friday: 9.30am - 7pm
    Saturday: 9.30am - 4pm
    Sunday: Closed

CLARE
    Ennis General Hospital.
    Tel: Limerick (061) 482 382
    Monday 10.00am - 1.00pm
    (by appointment only)

CORK
    Victoria Hospital, Old Blackrock Road, Cork.
    Tel: (021) 4966 844
    Monday/Tuesday/Thursday 9.30am - 11.45am
    Wednesday 9.30am - 11.45am & 2.15pm - 4.30pm
    All clinics are by appointment only.

GALWAY
    University College Hospital, Newcastle Road, Galway
    Tel: (091) 525 200 (by appointment only)
    Monday 2.00pm - 6.30pm
    Friday 10.00am - 12.00pm
    First Thursday of the month 2.00pm - 5.00pm

KERRY
    Tralee General Hospital, Tralee, Co. Kerry
    Tel: (021) 4966844
    Friday 2.00pm - 4.30pm
    By appointment only.

LIMERICK
    Regional Hospital, Dooradoyle, Limerick
    Tel: (061) 482 382 (by appointment only)
    Tuesday & Friday 10.00am - 1.00pm & 2.00pm - 5.00pm

MAYO
    Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar, Co. Mayo
    Tel (094) 21733
    Tuesday 10.00am - 1.00pm

SLIGO
    Sligo Regional Hospital, The Mall, Sligo
    Tel: (071) 70473
    Tuesday 6.00pm - 7.00pm
    (walk-in basis)

TIPPERARY
    Nenagh General Hospital
    Tel: (061) 482 382
    Wednesday 2.00pm - 5.00pm
    (by appointment only)

WATERFORD
    Waterford Regional Hospital, Waterford
    Tel: (051) 845149
    Monday 2.00pm - 4.00pm
    Thursday 9.30am - 11.30am

NORTHERN IRELAND

BELFAST
    Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast
    Tel: 02890 894777 (048 from ROI)
    Monday 8.30am - 11.30am
    Wednesday & Friday 1.30pm - 3.00pm
    Tuesday & Thursday 8.30am - 11.00am

COLERAINE
    Causeway G.U.M. Clinic, Coleraine
    Tel: 028703 44177 Ext. 2080 (048 from ROI)
    Tuesday 5.30pm - 6.00pm
    Friday 2.00pm - 5.00pm

DERRY
    Altnagelvin Hospital, Glenshane Rd., Derry
    Tel: 02871 611269 (048 from ROI)
    GUM Drop-In Clinic
    Monday, Wednesday & Friday 9.30am - 11.30am
    Monday 5.00pm - 7.30pm
    Wednesday 1.30pm - 3.30pm

NEWRY
    Daisy Hill Hospital, Newry
    Tel: 028308 35000, Ext. 2243
    Wednesday 9.00am - 12.30pm

• Advertisement

It should be pointed out that the Women's Health Project in haddington Rd. is strickly for women working in prostitution and not for the general female public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

I've just made an appointment to see Dr Freedman in Ranelagh re a small rash - anyone got any experience of him...?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I *used* to think I'd a fairly decent sex ed in school: but I don't remember anybody telling be about f*cking herpes.

Sexual contact (in any/all depts, it ain't fussy) with an infected person will leave you infected for life (cos it's a virus).

Be especially warey of cold-sore sufferers-- even when one is not blatently obvious on their lips.

It's the first question I would new casual partners : do you get coldsores?.

:-( Sadly, it's a bit l8 for me. I now "enjoy" recurring (twice annually) herpetic infections in a very delicate place.

Could someone please tell me how they test for herpes? I've read they use a blood test to test for it. Is this correct information? Do I simply go to a STI clinic and ask to be tested for herpes or what is the procedure.

Thanks, Unreg

Can someone please answer this if you can. I want to get tested when i have a day off this week.

- Does anyone know if there is somewhere free (or doesnt cost an arm and a leg) to get tested in Waterford/Dungarvan/Clonmel areas?

- Can you just get blood/urine sample to test for some of them and tell them to leave any internal examinations to a later date?

- Can your own general doctor check for STD's and if so any idea's of prices.

- If you do have one do they ask for the name of previous partner/s to inform them or can you do that yourself?

- WHAT exactly do they do?

- Can you ask for a female doctor to examine you?

- How long does it take

Sorry if you think i'm ignorant but i've had a scare and want to be tested even though i have no symphoms.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭plenderj

I went for some STI tests not too long ago. Broke up with the ex, and found out she was sleeping around, so better safe than sorry. It wasn't an entirely pleasant experience - but I'd do it again if I had to.

I went to a guy recommended by my GP - Dr.Freedman (Friedman ?) in Ranelagh. He's actually very good. Asks loads of very (very) personal questions the minute you walk in the door, but hey what do you expect?
    Didn't ask me for any other partner's names.

I had to give him a urine sample, a blood sample... and then. Well. Lets not discuss what I had to do next. But like I said - I would do it again if I had to. I just shut my eyes and looked up to heaven and let him fiddle away.

Cost me €150 for the first visit. €100 for the next visit about something else, and €80 for the next. I needed the results in a hurry because I was going away with someone, and he had them back in about 3 days.

Hello everyone,

I educated myself a long time ago about STIs and the methods for avoidance of contracting them.I go and get checked out at a clinic whenever I become single so I know that I go into a new relationship disease free. I feel its the only way to be responsible about this.

So I take care of myself when it comes to sex, I ALWAYS use a condom and NEVER sleep around.

Guess what?
    last time I became single I went to a clinic for STI tests that I was positive would come back negative...

sigh

I was very wrong.

After years of being very aware and subsequently being very careful about who and how I slept with people I found out that I had contracted genital warts. great. Now i have them for life, sure i can get them burnt/frozen off quite quickly and only have a week or so discomfort as they heal but they will always be with me, in my body, just lying dormant, ready to pop up again without warning. There is no cure for genital warts only ways to remove them when they grow on you.

I was in a long term relationship for 5 years before getting tested.
    Sadly this means my ex girlfriend must have slept around on me, bad buzz yes but life goes on.

what i am saying is this:

even being educated about the dangers wont protect you from others. if they are infected and you sleep with them you will most likely become infected yourself and in turn pass it on to someone else.

"Cost me €150 for the first visit. €100 for the next visit about something else, and €80 for the next. "

Is that how much it costs? I cannot afford that. I've found out someone i was with was also with the town bicycle so i feel "i'm diseased". I've no symptoms but i found out this girl is pregnant by him, she has four kids by four different guys, and has been with a hell of a lot more. He denies it but i know it's true. I also found out that last year he was with a girl who kept a "diary" of all her conquests and put *****'s beside their names. That diary was discovered by her leaving it on a bar (she's a 23 yr old barmaid) and there was a list of guys as long as your arm, lots of them married men. HE was also on that list. (For anyone who's nosey and for the sh*t of it, he got 3 stars - she must of been drunk, he only deserves a 1 or 2 :) ) I've only been with 4 people but i think i should get tested. I do not want to be with anyone until i know i'm clean or cured.

Can anyone tell EXACTLY what is involved in being tested please. I've read all the replies but it is not clear. and is the above price what everyone charges? Can i go to my local doctor for the tests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gmhp

that price is for a private doctor

A couple of posts up the list there is a list of public clinic where all testing and treatment is provided for free

I think most areas have been covered regarding whats involved in the sti testing already in this thread if you re read it and there is something specfic you are looking for still post it and you will get an answer

does anyone have a contact number fro this dude dr. freedman (friedman?).
    my gp recommended him also but he had no details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

it doesnt take long everyone should get it done and that nagging feeling at the back of your mind will go.its painless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

I went to Dr Freedman 6 months ago - got a full STD test for €150 and was given the all clear. The reason I had gone to him was because I had a small rash on the shaft of my penis - he did'nt know what it was! Suggested I go to a dermatologist or GP. Well I still have the rash - have tried every 'over the counter' cream available, but to no avail. I'm beginning to wonder if Dr Freedman missed something. Can anyone recommend a GP in Dublin (southside preferably) who I could go to re this?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

I agree with dammit,not every question has been anwsered

If i go for one of these,what the hell is the procedure? Do I have to give blood?(hate giving blood samples,really do). Or do they send you into a cublcle with some magazines and wait for you to shoot in a cup? Or just a urine sample? Seriously,what is the exact procedure with this?

Also,which one of those clinics are free,all of them?

And wtf cant i log out??!!?

EDIT-was talkin to a mate of mine today who had it done. It sounds like medieval torture. Pokin stuff under your foreskin and everything. Im not going for one without a bottle of vodka beforehand,it was seriously disturbin what they do to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Is €150 really the cheapest you can get tested for?

went to the Baggot street clinic with my girlfriend, met some very nice people, had a blood test, got the results back a week later, cost FREE.

If you have that nagging feeling in the back of your head why not just go to this clinic and find out the truth. Nice friendly quick service.

No need to make a appointment, 5 till 7 on a thursday. It was very quiet the day i went for the results and test, you wont be waiting long in a busy waiting room.

Good health to everyone!

safe guest

That baggot street clinic only does blood tests so at the most you where only checked for HIV, syphilis, Hep A, B and C. You wheren't tested for any of the more comon STI's

safe guest

That baggot street clinic only does blood tests so at the most you where only checked for HIV, syphilis, Hep A, B and C. You wheren't tested for any of the more comon STI's

You are correct, you only get a blood test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

:eek: Following a well overdue STI test I was diagnosed ith the Silent Killer Clamydia .
    Ive been with my fiance for 5 yrs and coz we'd never been tested we can never tell where it came from of when it was contracted

Puts alot of doubt into your mind i can tell you , simple prescription from the doctor clears it up straight away

went through the gruelling ordeal of getting tested today at james'. Booked an appointment 2 months ago, which only allows you to be seen on the day. You take a ticket and wait 3-4 hours to be seen, then once through you get the eye of your penis scraped by a female doctor, blood taken, and urine sample given. Then, wait for it, you only get a phone call in 2-3 weeks if they have bad news. How bloody stupid is that? I'm going to be terrified every time my phone starts ringing in the coming weeks! Shocked at the system!!!!

• Advertisement

I am sure no one including the staff think it's the ideal solution.

But as you saw with your two month waiting for an appointment the clinic is very busy this system allows then to spend more time screening people and dealing with people who need treatment at the expense of telling someone they have no infections.

Where clinics are getting busyer every year with less resources to manage the situation something has to give. This sadly is one of the things that is giving in this clinic.

On a postive note put james hospital number in your phone so at least you will know it's them before you answer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement