Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

throwing cigarette butts out the car window

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Anyone who litters has as much self respect for themselves as they do their own surroundings

Manky manky manky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

you havent your balls pulled people up over it :pac:

and no, i haven't. Wouldnt mind actually doing it to see the look on your face tho lol. All you would do is hit me with a dirty look. Unless you see my reg.

Out of the many many wrong things that happens in this world on a daily basis throwing a butt away is the least of them.

Big Man You :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I see no issue with flicking a smoke out the car window, or flicking a cigarette anywhere for that matter. It really isn't a big deal.

People who get upset over it are the original snowflakes, and by that I mean they're only outraged because they can be, not because they're genuinely disgusted with the act itself. They'll tell you that they are disgusted, but really it's a case of complaining just to complain.

They might feign concern about the environment or something to validate the grievance but, as I said, it's feigned and without merit. I can understand with rubbish, because it makes the place - whatever place - a bit unsightly. An empty bottle of coke isn't going to perish within hours in the same way that a cigarette butt would and does.
    Feigned? You can't know this. It looks like you're just projecting to make yourself feel better (I can't know that for sure either but it does look that way, whereas you've no grounds for saying the others are "feigning" objection).

If a person disapproves of throwing any other litter out the car window or whatever scenario, then they'd surely disapprove of discarding cigarette butts in such a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I like cig-butts and I cannot lie.
    When one lands in my eye
    When a car drives by with a ciggy butt to waste and it lands up in your face that’s ace

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

As a smoker it is actually a real pet hate of mine to see people throwing fag butts out the window. No excuse for it.
    My friend says she doesn't have an astray so I bought her one for €3. Like I said no excuse.

Oh and the person asking about ashtrays. My car came with one . It's a pretty new Octavia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

So you can't articulate why somebody's a knacker if they throw a cigarette butt away in public?

A picture says a thousand words.

image.jpg

If you need someone to explain it then that's a poor reflection on your upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

A picture says a thousand words.

image.jpg

If you need someone to explain it then that's a poor reflection on your upbringing.

Interestingly, I'd argue you're a bigger scumbag than any smoker if you question my parents and the job they did on the back of a 17-word sentence that I wrote. It's prejudice really because you don't know me or my parents, one of whom has passed away, and isn't prejudice a far bigger stain on any society than flicking away cigarette butts?

I reckon it is you know.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Feigned? You can't know this. It looks like you're just projecting to make yourself feel better.

I don't need to make myself feel better because I don't believe there's anything inherently wrong with flicking a cigarette away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

I don't need to make myself feel better because I don't believe there's anything inherently wrong with flicking a cigarette away.

See anything wrong here?

Cigarettes are the most littered item on earth. Worldwide, about 4.5 trillion cigarettes are littered each year.

Littered cigarette butts leach toxic chemicals—such as arsenic (used to kill rats) and lead, to name a few—into the environment and can contaminate water. The toxic exposure can poison fish, as well as animals who eat cigarette butts. If you throw your cigarette butts on the ground, they eventually find their way to the ocean and other water sheds and YOU are contributing to the most commonly found man-made waste that originates from land.

Plastic pieces have been found in the stomachs of fish, birds, whales, and other marine creatures that mistake them as food, swallowing harmful plastic and toxic chemicals. Ingestion of plastic cigarette filters is a threat to wildlife. Sometimes even young children pick up and ingest cigarette butts.
    Wind and rain often carry cigarette butts into waterways, where the toxic chemicals in the cigarette filters leak out, threatening the quality of the water and the creatures that live in it.

98 percent of cigarette filters are made of plastic fibers (cellulose acetate) that are tightly packed together, which leads to an estimated 1.69 billion pounds of cigarette butts winding up as toxic trash each year.

The plastic fibers in cigarettes are non-biodegradable, meaning they won't organically break down. Although cigarettes don’t break down naturally, they can gradually decompose depending on environmental conditions like the rain and sun. Estimates on the time it takes vary, but a recent study found that a cigarette butt was only about 38 percent decomposed after two years. It can take total up to 25 years to break down.

Some of the costs are associated with the manpower and resources to pick up litter. Who picks up litter? Employees of parks, schools, hotels, restaurants, and local governments have to pick up litter, as well as volunteers who care about the environment.
    Cigarettes are often littered within 10 feet of a permanent ashtray. Now that most buildings do not allow smoking inside, the problem of discarded butts on sidewalks, entryways and in courtyards is increasing.
    Other costs are incurred when a discarded cigarette butt starts a fire that destroys a forest, a field, or people's homes. Fires caused by cigarette butts claim the lives of about 1,000 people and injure about 3,000 people each year.
    The costs of "lost revenue" are incurred when tourists will not spend their vacation dollars to visit a beach or park that is full of litter and trash.

• Advertisement

Stateofyou wrote: »
    #Fires caused by cigarette butts claim the lives of about 1,000 people and injure about 3,000 people each year.

Not littered cigarette butts, which is what we're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

So where do you draw the line? Or is it also fine to dump your old fridge and 3 piece suite down a country lane? Can we all just use your garden as a municipal dump?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

This started with someone throwing a cigarette butt out a car window. Someone chucking a cigarette butt out their car window probably isn't going to bother making sure it's properly extinguished. Try throwing a butt out the car in Australia, and see what the penalties are like if you're caught.

Hopefully that's not a lame attempt to just turn a blind eye to the negative impact on the whole.

seagull wrote: »
    So where do you draw the line? Or is it also fine to dump your old fridge and 3 piece suite down a country lane? Can we all just use your garden as a municipal dump?

As I said, I draw the line at rubbish - actual rubbish. There's no reason why you can't keep an empty bottle of Lilt or a Twix wrapper in your pocket until you happen upon a bin. You can't with cigarette butts because the butt itself makes you and your clothes smell far worse than the smoke, so it gets flicked away or dropped and stood on. And that's the end of it. It ends up being sucked up into one of those ground-cleaning machines, or the wind blows it away, or the rain strips the paper and loose tobacco from it and suddenly it's just a half-an-inch long bit of fibre that nobody notices on their way to or from work.

Also, I know this is Boards, but let's not compare the flicking of a cigarette butt to the dumping of a fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

People who cycle in traffic know why it a scumbag thing to flick away a cigarette.

Have a look at this

https://weartv.com/news/local/pensacola-motorcyclist-sustains-third-degree-burns-after-driver-flicks-cigarette-butt

Years ago a lit cigarette went down my t shirt. Luckily the t shirt was loose so I had 3 small burns. If I had caught the arrsewipe he'd have been left in no doubt whatsoever why its a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

_Brian wrote: »
    People who smoke are just sticking their fingers up at the whole of society anyway with their disgusting habits.

Bunch of stale smelly people stuck in the 1940’s.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    ...smoking and smokers are rather disgusting
    Anyone who smokes in public or in their car should be shot with balls of their own shyte.

Wow. People seem to think that an addiction warrants abuse. Do ye say the same to everyone with an addiction of any type? I smoke. I don't want to. I've given them up about 20 times at this stage, with varying degrees of success, from a week to a year. But I always end up back on them. Not because I want to, but because I'm addicted. I live with my parents, of which my father has emphysema (mainly due to working on the building sites, but also aggravated by smoking). It took him until he had a stroke to finally be able to kick the habit. A habit his doctor told him to take up for health benefits. You'd think that would be enough to get me to stop, but no. I'm an addict, but it's apparently ok to give abuse to cigarette addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Sky King wrote: »
    The filter is plastickey stuff which doesnt degrade

Yes, the filter is the environmental problem.

The problem could be solved easily if a ministerial order was made to the effect that cigarettes should have either no filter or a biodegradable filter

As I said, I draw the line at rubbish - actual rubbish. There's no reason why you can't keep an empty bottle of Lilt or a Twix wrapper in your pocket until you happen upon a bin. You can't with cigarette butts because the butt itself makes you and your clothes smell far worse than the smoke, so it gets flicked away or dropped and stood on. And that's the end of it. It ends up being sucked up into one of those ground-cleaning machines, or the wind blows it away, or the rain strips the paper and loose tobacco from it and suddenly it's just a half-an-inch long bit of fibre that nobody notices on their way to or from work.

Also, I know this is Boards, but let's not compare the flicking of a cigarette butt to the dumping of a fridge.

It's hard to imagine anyone being much more willfully ignorant than that. Flicking away a cigarette butt isn't the end of it. "Suddenly" it's just a half inch long? WTAF. There is no decomposition processes that happens "suddenly."

Here's what ACTUALLY happens.

If you throw your cigarette butts on the ground, they eventually find their way to the ocean and other water sheds and YOU are contributing to the most commonly found man-made waste that originates from land.

Wind and rain often carry cigarette butts into waterways, where the toxic chemicals in the cigarette filters leak out, threatening the quality of the water and the creatures that live in it.

It can take total up to 25 years to break down.

Who picks up litter? A street sweeper isn't doing most of it.
    Employees of parks, schools, hotels, restaurants, and local governments have to pick up litter, as well as volunteers who care about the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

Cigarette butts don't just dissappear or degrade. They end up in waterways and are one of the most commonly found pieces of litter found in the ocean. You're aware that they, along with other materials like microplastics enter the food chain, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Funnily enough Guys yesterday at a petrol Station (not beside the Pumps)
    A man rolled down his window and threw his butt out of the window and rolled it up again. I was sitting in the car beside him. I immediately thought of this thread. If our windows were down I think I would have commented. Or if he had left his window down. But he rolled it back up.

If I was to witness this again Should I have

A) Got out and knocked on his window and mentioned politely about his littering?

B) Keep Quiet its none of my business say nothing.

C) Give him a condescending look while shaking my head left and right.

Have any of you approached a cig butt litter lout if so, what happened?

Funnily enough Guys yesterday at a petrol Station (not beside the Pumps)
    A man rolled down his window and threw his butt out of the window and rolled it up again. I was sitting in the car beside him. I immediately thought of this thread. If our windows were down I think I would have commented. Or if he had left his window down. But he rolled it back up.

If I was to witness this again Should I have

A) Got out and knocked on his window and mentioned politely about his littering?

B) Keep Quiet its none of my business say nothing.

C) Give him a condescending look while shaking my head left and right.

Have any of you approached a cig butt litter lout if so, what happened?

C) Dirty look. Person parked up next to me opened window and threw it on the ground still lit. Rolled down my window and told her she dropped something. She could hear me through the glass. Said "there's the bin" and pointed to it about 5 steps away. She looked at me and said nothing. Shook my head in disgust. Passenger in the car had just gotten back in and was laughing.

Years ago I used to live in an apartment building and next to a lady who chain smoked. Had to keep my windows closed all the time which really p'd me off. She would sit on her patio to smoke and then flick her cigarettes into the grass over her rail. There would have been hundreds of them on the ground at one point. All of us who lived there would have to walk by on the path to get into our entrance to our flats, so we had to walk by this stinking, and ugly section of garden before entering our own homes. One day she flicked it out in front of me and I told her it's actually disgusting and harmful to the environment. She blew her last mouthful of smoke at me and shook her head and went back in. I go into my flat, get a glove, and spend my time picking them all up. She's watching me through the curtain. Then I dump them over the side of the rail onto her patio right in front of her eyes. Left the little bucket with her. She started using it after that. Other owners there told me she had been doing that years, and as we all paid maintenance fees, garden workers had been picking them up every time they came out so the grass could be cut. So we all basically paid to pick up her litter. A complaint to the management company was never responded to.

No right answer, any and all options (except B) are fine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Big Man You :)

Thank you.
    All this not being petty really gives me a lot of free time to go to the gym :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

We cleaned our road there before Christmas.9 black bags of rubbish we took off it.a rural road.mostly coffee cups and bottles and cans.also cigarette boxes.
    3 weeks later the same road is in pure sh1te again.
    Dirty dirty fcukin scum that are driving the roads.

Yeah. They need to start putting a refundable deposit on cans and bottles. 20c minimum , people would be less likely to litter then and if they did , people would clean it up to get the deposit back

Stateofyou wrote: »
    C) Dirty look. Person parked up next to me opened window and threw it on the ground still lit. Rolled down my window and told her she dropped something. She could hear me through the glass. Said "there's the bin" and pointed to it about 5 steps away. She looked at me and said nothing. Shook my head in disgust. Passenger in the car had just gotten back in and was laughing.

So you were very rude to a complete stranger and she's the villain for dropping a cigarette butt? "You dropped something". What a stupid and patronising comment.

See, this is what leads me to think you don't actually care about people dropping cigarette butts, because if you cared in real life as much as you suggest you do on the internet then you'd have broached the subject in a far better way. If you cared enough about wanting her to change her mentality on flicking away cigarette butts then why would you be rude and patronising? Is that a conducive means of success? Obviously not, it's futile. So either this ancedote never actually happened or you couldn't care less.

So you were very rude to a complete stranger and she's the villain for dropping a cigarette butt? "You dropped something". What a stupid and patronising comment.

See, this is what leads me to think you don't actually care about people dropping cigarette butts, because if you cared in real life as much as you suggest you do on the internet then you'd have broached the subject in a far better way. If you cared enough about wanting her to change her mentality on flicking away cigarette butts then why would you be rude and patronising? Is that a conducive means of success? Obviously not, it's futile. So either this ancedote never actually happened or you couldn't care less.

Why so mad? It's because you do the same ignorant shi*te and you wouldn't like being pulled up for it. Like you are by everyone else on this post.

There's no need to have a full blown conversation about littering. Every adult knows better and she knew full well. What makes you think a constructive conversation presenting the facts would have been taken on board and a good use of my time? I did that here, yet look at you - you've ignored that and continued on in your ignorance saying "It ends up being sucked up into one of those ground-cleaning machines, or the wind blows it away, or the rain strips the paper and loose tobacco from it and suddenly it's just a half-an-inch long bit of fibre that nobody notices on their way to or from work."
    Despite facts to the contrary. What's futile is engaging with willfully ignorant people. You know better (as did she), but you choose not to do better. Height of ignorance.

I'm not mad. I just pointed that you're your own worst enemy in this crusade. Next time you see somebody drop a cigarette butt on the ground, YOU should pick it up in front of them and bring it to a bin. Do it right in front of them. I promise you that's much more powerful and it'll make them think about it more than you going, 'Sorry miss, you dropped something' and then pointing to a bin as if they're eight years of age. Why you thought this was going to achieve anything I've no idea.

I'm not mad. I just pointed that you're your own worst enemy in this crusade. Next time you see somebody drop a cigarette butt on the ground, YOU should pick it up in front of them and bring it to a bin. Do it right in front of them. I promise you that's much more powerful and it'll make them think about it more than you going, 'Sorry miss, you dropped something' and then pointing to a bin as if they're eight years of age. Why you thought this was going to achieve anything I've no idea.

Instead of criticizing those of us doing something about it, and telling us to pick up toxic trash that's after being in your mouths (!!!) take a long look in the mirror and stop doing it yourself.

I shouldn't need to be "powerful." Inform yourself with the facts, grow up, and dispose of your own rubbish. Even small children learn and know not to litter.

Oh god you're not doing anything about it lol.

Being very rude to a stranger and treating her like a child isn't going to make her not flick cigarettes away in the future. Take it from me, you were the asshole in that situation, not her. And I'm sorry to tell you that you didn't make a blind bit of difference in that situation, nor have you made any difference in this situation. You don't care about the environment. Give me your shopping list and your make of car and I guarantee I'll find a way in which to argue you're harming the environment, just in a different way. Because guess what, we all are! Every single one of us is guilty one way or the other because it turns out quite a lot of things are harmful to the planet.

I'd bet a million euro you eat fish and here you are berating smokers for murdering sea creatures with their cigarette butts. I'm certain this is a multi-layered hypocrisy on your part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Hi Hammer I actually like this suggestion. Another situation I have come along is walking behind someone who threw a ciggy butt (or say a crisp packet) on the ground whos walking ahead of you say 30 steps or so. So they are not going to see you picking up their rubbish & hence wont see the valuable lesson. In that case what would you suggest. hmmm. :confused: You would kind of need some way to catch their attention:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement