Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blackleg vaccination

• 31-07-2020 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi. Do ye all vaccinate calves against blackleg. Injection cows tomorrow for it. I'd say calves might not be the easiest to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Yeah it's worth it

Think it works out about 3 euro / head, much less of a loss in the long run than one or two contracting it and dying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Ya always do them. Its very fast to do, fill the chute and you'll have them done in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

Tig98 wrote: »
    Yeah it's worth it

Think it works out about 3 euro / head, much less of a loss in the long run than one or two contracting it and dying

More like €1 per head.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭einn32

As I was told years ago one of the first symptoms of black leg is death.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hi. Do ye all vaccinate calves against blackleg. Injection cows tomorrow for it. I'd say calves might not be the easiest to do

Never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

No

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Curious answers. It's older calves that die of it, usually cows escape.
    If the question was reversed I'd understand it as around here cows are often neglected.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

greysides wrote: »
    Curious answers. It's older calves that die of it, usually cows escape.
    If the question was reversed I'd understand it as around here cows are often neglected.

We used to do them as weanlings up to a few years ago but lost 2 calves about 2 months old in the space of a few days to it so do them all when I'm dehorning them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Goodeone

Lost 2 bullocks about 15 years ago with blackleg. A third went down when the vet was out and he managed to save him. We have vaccinated calves and stores since with no issues. We never vaccinate cows though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Do all calves at turnout with booster 4 weeks later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Do you all do it just once or repeat every year?

We do the weanlings at turnout and boaster 6 weeks later.

Don’t do two yr olds or cows.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

893bet wrote: »

I try and do my own calves twice if I remember and usually give a few bought in weanlings and stores a jab before letting them out. I don't know if that approach is overly effective but once they go to grass it's put on the long finger and touch wood I've no problems so far. It's not that expensive and at least I can say I tried my best and whatever happened afterwards happens. My grandfather lost two yearlings the same day too it year's ago. This was back in the days of on farm burial and by the time he'd the hole dug there was a third animal to go into it. I'd hate to lose an animal and think I could have prevented it with a simple clostridial injection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I just do calves every year nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Gave the 2nd shot yesterday
    We give to everything 2 & under (hasn’t cut the tooth) even first calvers
    For the sake of €3/hd

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

All calves done at tagging here. Then again when dosing.
    Calves get 2 doses.
    Some years ( like this year) if I suspect a calf was missed all are done again for a 3rd time before weaning
    Lost a mighty weanling about 10 years ago, vet diagnosed blackleg.
    I'll never make that mistake again. It's so disappointing, and really gets under my skin when sh1t like that happens. Losses extend so much further than financial loss. I find when things go wrong, other things start to go wrong cause I'm distracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Injected all cows, in calf heifers and calves this morning. No real Issues. Better safe than sorry. Have a cow now with a runny nose, water coming from her mouth and heavy breathing. Waiting on a vet😬😬

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Just calves here, nothing else. Didn't think it was an issue for cow's? Cow's and heifers & bulls done for lepto and salmonella as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

Same as most , do calves twice 6 weeks apart. I think its recommended to do cattle the following year once/year but only did it one time when doing drainage on an outfarm ( setstocked so couldn't lock them out)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭max12

No need to do animals over 2 years.

Booster after 4-6 weeks is needed for the first time and an annual one thereafter is sufficient.

Do all you stock here as started about 6 years ago when I lost one to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Have to do it here.
    Inject cows at Christmas, to give calves born in jan Feb March immunity. And give calves another shot at a few days old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Local here used to do all his calves once. Vet told him it was an absolute waste of time only doing them once. He never had any issue with Blackleg so assumed if it was a total waste of time why bother at all. Lost 2 later that year.
    Does them twice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Have to do it here.
    Inject cows at Christmas, to give calves born in jan Feb March immunity. And give calves another shot at a few days old.

If they are suckler calves they would have passive immunity from the cow until 3 months old. We give suckler calves their first shot of Covexin 10 at 3 months old.

There is a different regime for dairy calves, they get first shot Covexin 10 at 2 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

If they are suckler calves they would have passive immunity from the cow until 3 months old. We give suckler calves their first shot of Covexin 10 at 3 months old.

There is a different regime for dairy calves, they get first shot Covexin 10 at 2 weeks old.

That's interesting about the suckling, would it only apply if the cows receive an annual booster?
    I would have thought 2 weeks was awful young for a calf's immune systems to have to deal with it. We do it at 4 and 10 weeks here.

Most lads would be chancing away the one shot until they lose a few, nearly always the best ones of the bunch, 2 shots it is then forevermore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

That's interesting about the suckling, would it only apply if the cows receive an annual booster?
    I would have thought 2 weeks was awful young for a calf's immune systems to have to deal with it. We do it at 4 and 10 weeks here.

Most lads would be chancing away the one shot until they lose a few, nearly always the best ones of the bunch, 2 shots it is then forevermore.

I don't know - I read that information from the leaflet.

Back in 2008 when our Vet was compiling a herd health plan, I got the impression from him that it was the anti-bodies in the cow's milk cancelling the efficacy of the vaccine during the first 2-3 months of the calf's life.

The 2 weeks for Dairy calves was mentioned by the Vet at a KT meeting.

Only the calves get Covexin now. As a precaution any bought stock are given the Covexin and the booster.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭nhg

We blackleg the calves as part of the vaccination routine, they'll have the booster got prior to turn out. Give the yearlings a booster at turnout in March, don't do the finishers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

nhg wrote: »
    We blackleg the calves as part of the vaccination routine, they'll have the booster got prior to turn out. Give the yearlings a booster at turnout in March, don't do the finishers

We give yearlings 2 shots
    Is that overkill?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

einn32 wrote: »
    As I was told years ago one of the first symptoms of black leg is death.

Instant death

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I do the calves twice and again in the following spring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Essentially, yes. One claims more effectiveness against Bacterial Redwater than the other.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement