Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

tfjHwh.jpg
    Better than milking cows

We'll see about that in the morning ;). Enjoy the well deserved break GG and don't neglect the cailín for the sake of keeping an eye on boards!

Robin
    Nice heifers. Have you eurostar figures for them? I find them fairly accurate for my young stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Have a soft spot for a red whitehead myself bod but it's hard to pick up a good one now! Old fellow used to have a load of them when I was a young fellow and he had a sim bull with them. Their progeny made mighty cows for a Charolais bull.

I bought her out of a trailer off of a dealer at midnight on side of the road as wasn't taking a day off , calves were dear at the time but I gave 440 euro at the time ! But other calves in trailer weren't great so I am happy enough how she turned out for the extra 40 euro !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

tfjHwh.jpg
    Better than milking cows

God you've lovely fairy liquid hands there green :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reggie. wrote: »
    God you've lovely fairy liquid hands there green :D

Ooooh and he has the pinky out! He was brought up well;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

just do it wrote: »
    Robin
    Nice heifers. Have you eurostar figures for them? I find them fairly accurate for my young stock

I have but I ignored them when I decided to keep the heifers. If I based my decision on the figures the blue would already be dead! But the lim heifer has 4 stars for maternal.

I don't think I will keep the blue for to long. Hoping to get a couple of heifers from her for breeding.

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I have but I ignored them when I decided to keep the heifers. If I based my decision on the figures the blue would already be dead! But the lim heifer has 4 stars for maternal.

I don't think I will keep the blue for to long. Hoping to get a couple of heifers from her for breeding.

I think the figures are geared more towards finishing animals for the Irish market (Simmentals in particular figure strongly). That blue heifer is a likely candidate for export quality weanlings. I'm not sure how the eurostar figures would be for her. A proven producer of quality export weanlings on here has commented quality and muscle in the dam is more important than milk. Once they can calve ok the rest can be managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭ABlur

Cattle grazing a very poor field I had reseeded with a Guttler overseeder about 6 weeks ago. Fairly happy with the outcome but it will need a lot of minding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Robin

Stupid question JDI that I should probably know. If I wanted to get euro star figures for heifers I bought how would I go about looking them up?

Stupid question JDI that I should probably know. If I wanted to get euro star figures for heifers I bought how would I go about looking them up?

You need to have subscribed to ICBF ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

On that point, If I (who is on ICBF), was looking to buy cows / Heifers of someone (not on ICBF), is there a way that I can look at the Eurostar rating, as what looks the best in the field could have the worst Eurostar etc.
    Under the bull search any male calf can be searched!

Noticed these lesions on this cow. It's spread quiet a bit. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort but I'm wondering what it is. Not a great pic but is seems like a rash and then caused the cut by scratching?

C13F7B90-CDCE-4A85-A244-E9F16CA8D1D5_zpsatgjjaww.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Noticed these lesions on this cow. It's spread quiet a bit. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort but I'm wondering what it is. Not a great pic but is seems like a rash and then caused the cut by scratching?
    It looks like photosensitization! Get her into a dark shed by day and let her out at night to graze.

+1 on that. We discussed it a couple of times this summer - Here and Here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

It looks like photosensitization! Get her into a dark shed by day and let her out at night to graze.
    you can get a cream to rub on it too its called zink cream anyone ever see it in Ireland ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

After grass from silage cut a month ago. Short and leafy perfect for the little suckies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

After grass from silage cut a month ago. Short and leafy perfect for the little suckies

And lovely clover in it aswell,

Lovely stuff. Mine are on reseeded aftergrass and I can see a big difference in thrive in comparison to other years when they were on good enough looking grass but on old swards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Lovely stuff. Mine are on reseeded aftergrass and I can see a big difference in thrive in comparison to other years when they were on good enough looking grass but on old swards.

Yeah they field was had beet 3 years ago corn 2 years ago and reseeded last year great field of stuff I must say.
    The grass grows so nice and leafy and shoots back up with a bit of rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Thought this was amazing. Completely off thread.

Mods, sorry in advance

• Advertisement

You're grand. It's er..... 'Exploration into the pragmatic possibilities of maritime agriculture within the greater aspect of oceanic life and culture'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

.Kovu. wrote: »
    You're grand. It's er..... 'Exploration into the pragmatic possibilities of maritime agriculture within the greater aspect of oceanic life and culture'

I thought the health and safety message is also strong:)

Was going to put in photo comp for the craic, thought this months topic didn't suit though

Health and safety message? Like don't fall into an ocean> I obviously skipped that class:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

The hired tits... Fr x JE
    URL=http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/bodacious30/media/Mobile Uploads/photo_zps237caebe.jpg.html]photo_zps237caebe.jpg[/URL]

Can't see her behind the 2 bucks now! She calving at Xmas , mud fat and carrying a lim heifer

photo_zpsd18740cc.jpg

The neighbours dog. He is 9 months old and is serving his apprenticeship along side 2 other cattle dogs. He's a lovely young pup, so friendly and obedient. According to the owner he will be very big - he is basing this on the size of his paws?? He has the pointiest ears I've seen on a dog when he point them. Bit like a fox

8D6CC947-1834-4336-8AF2-746AA87DDEFC_zps2felsbrx.jpg

You have a better view than me right now:p
    qcC3Q0Jl.jpg?1

You have a better view than me right now:p
    qcC3Q0Jl.jpg?1

Nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

The neighbours dog. He is 9 months old and is serving his apprenticeship along side 2 other cattle dogs. He's a lovely young pup, so friendly and obedient. According to the owner he will be very big - he is basing this on the size of his paws?? He has the pointiest ears I've seen on a dog when he point them. Bit like a fox

Have heard/ seen the thing with the paws alright, one of the dogs here when she was a pup looked like she had massive paws compared to the rest of her! But she grew into them over time!

Reggie. wrote: »
    Nasty

Yerr, he managed to do a bit of a job on it. But he can still kick :mad:

It's at jobs like that you realise how useful those foot winches on a crush would be. (when you've a horse lunge rope round his leg and twisted over a bar wedged into the wall!!)

• Advertisement

Yerr, he managed to do a bit of a job on it. But he can still kick :mad:

It's at jobs like that you realise how useful those foot winches on a crush would be. (when you've a horse lunge rope round his leg and twisted over a bar wedged into the wall!!)

Know all about it this year myself

Advertisement