Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

_Brian wrote: »
    Half of the stands are just auld shiite

I can't disagree with that observation but I'll still miss the ploughing this year. The better half and myself do usually build a mini break around it each year and we've seen some nice parts of the country we probably wouldn't have otherwise. It's the same with most regional show's it's the same faces every year but there's plenty of days for staying at home from November through to May imo. I'm not much of a socializer but look forward to a few shows and fair's around the country as well as night in a BnB or hotel.

There's lots of heritage and thing's to see and do in our own country and hopefully one of the upsides to Covid will be that people remember that a holiday doesn't have to start with a few hours on a plane. There's nothing wrong with a break abroad but maybe we could support our own a bit more in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

They are still planning on running the actual ploughing competitions behind closed gates subject to guidelines at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

wrangler wrote: »
    Like Ear to the Ground, Countryfile, etc it's no longer profitable to cater just for farmers, same with politicians, there's not enough farmers, not enough votes.

We like going, it’s a great exhibition show
    We’ve got great bargains over the years from farming to house etc

At one time having the Ploughing champion in showing was a massive honour

Catering for the masses is alright but you it shouldn’t be at the expense of what defined you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Saw this online and thought it was really nice idea.

https://ibb.co/qMhw8V4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

_Brian wrote: »
    Saw this online and thought it was really nice idea.

https://ibb.co/qMhw8V4

Fire, everyone out !!!

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Fire, everyone out !!!

They should be sitting on small squares

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The hamsters must have been out last night, boards acting up this morning for me on the laptop. Not showing posts, saying I've unread posts in threads I've read etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The hamsters must have been out last night, boards acting up this morning for me on the laptop. Not showing posts, saying I've unread posts in threads I've read etc.

Yeah, 404 errors on mobile and Followed Threads showing up only having posts before 7am on the laptop.

Refreshing does bring it back, eventually.

This guy is very good, about 5 minutes of good jokes and a song then that you might not want to listen to if you're from Roscommon.

https://m.facebook.com/seanmcboc/videos/542716129881827/?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FGyLLYBRzyU&_rdr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭50HX

Checked stock this mornin all fine

Went out with the eldest lad a while ago for a good walk and checked em again

Best fsz bull calf i have ~375kg at 8 months with what looks like a broken hip

Can get up but will fall over if he moves, no cows bullin

Just one of those things, outside the front door which is the main thing but fcuk me why it always the best ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 r4110

i was looking for a flail mower to cut rushes and seen an ad for a clontrac 2.2m mower for 4.5k on done deal.
    Has anyone used one of these before? Tried looking it up but couldn't find anything online about them.

50HX wrote: »

Just one of those things, outside the front door which is the main thing but fcuk me why it always the best ones

It's always on the weekend too in my experience, I'm sorry to hear that it's very disheartening especially when they get to that stage. Is there any butcher locally that might be able to salvage something from the situation? If he's still sucking the cow at that weight he's probably fleshy enough to slaughter. It's hardly dislocated as opposed to broken? A bone setter might be a good call if you thought the hip wasn't shattered, an uncle of mine lost a fine Draught colt foal year's ago that broke his shoulder when he was 6 months old.

Is there a stock bull that he might have gotten a belt off or do you think it was just a freak accident? I had a heifer bulling the other day and a bull calf about 3 months old was after her alongside my stock bull. The bigger bull was giving the calf an odd puck of his head but touch wood I've never had any problems in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Guaranteed to be the best.

I am sorry to hear it. But I do stand by the phrase, as long as it stays from your door.

Have no stock bull, all AI here....just a freak thing i think

Tried the butcher this evening, things are gone so tight with regs that he won't take him unless he can walk

I had heard that all the smaller abbitors were getting more inspections lately

Just have to scratch it and move on, will see what vet says 2mor anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wasn't there ads recently of a service that processes the animal on site?
    Mightn't get much but it's sad to see good food go to waste.

Be careful of the regs around injured animals and actions that may be deemed cruelty.

Have no stock bull, all AI here....just a freak thing i think

Tried the butcher this evening, things are gone so tight with regs that he won't take him unless he can walk

I had heard that all the smaller abbitors were getting more inspections lately

Just have to scratch it and move on, will see what vet says 2mor anyway

Yes there's very strict regulations nowadays about what is and isn't fit for transport to slaughter. As John mentioned above there are ads advertising on farm slaughter but I've no experience of how it actually works. A neighbor had a heifer weanling a bit lighter than yours break her hip about 3 year's ago. She eventually came right on it although she had a limp and muscle wastage on that side. Saying that she could run with the rest of the cattle and I think he got around €900 for her at 500kg when he sold her as a forward store. The biggest issue I'd be afraid of is a compound fracture which usually means game over due to the resulting infection. Your vet will be able to help you make the right call and sometimes the first loss is the best loss in such situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭straight

Maybe lift the leg to make sure it's not a nail or screw or something.

straight wrote: »
    Maybe lift the leg to make sure it's not a nail or screw or something.
    Never thought if that..will check..thanks

Its a back leg, when he stands leg is waving/dangling.....its the hip imo
    When he tries to move you can see the leg turning inwards completely

I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Are boards not paying the bills or what?
    Seems to be a lot of issues lately... :(

Are boards not paying the bills or what?
    Seems to be a lot of issues lately... :(

Could be to do with the surge in users prior due to lockdown? Or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Never thought if that..will check..thanks

Its a back leg, when he stands leg is waving/dangling.....its the hip imo
    When he tries to move you can see the leg turning inwards completely

I

That doesn't sound good. See what vet says . Is he in pain?

whelan2 wrote: »
    That doesn't sound good. See what vet says . Is he in pain?

Doesn't appear to be in too much pain, will let ye know what vet says later on

Double fracture, just put him out if his misery.....ah the joys

That is an cnut of a thing to happy. I'm so sorry, very frustrating to get them past the vulnerable calving/calf stage, and a freak thing like that occurs.

Just pulled a jeep full of ragwort. Have a nice bank holiday Monday ye all

whelan2 wrote: »
    Just pulled a jeep full of ragwort. Have a nice bank holiday Monday ye all

Was it your own jeep or did you fill a walkers jeep with it?:D

Was it your own jeep or did you fill a walkers jeep with it?:D

Ye there was a jeep parked in the gate way. I'm sure they'll love the lovely flowers I picked for them :D

Was my own jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

He didn't try feed off a different cow. Have a strong calf here and he sucks of every cow. He waits until her own calf is on and sneaks in from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Would anyone by any chance know of a supplier of Dust masks, hard to get a supply for less than x3 the price in the spring in Uk.
    Ideally looking ffp2 or ffp3 spec.

• Advertisement

dzer2 wrote: »
    He didn't try feed off a different cow. Have a strong calf here and he sucks of every cow. He waits until her own calf is on and sneaks in from behind.

Never saw him drinkin other cows, had 2 cows that let others drink and had to seperate out from herd

Just thinking is there anything to be got from farm insurance for him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement