Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sourcing broilers

• 01-08-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

I was wondering where I can buy day old chicks for feeding. I usually pay €3 each from the van. Are there any hatcheries that sell directly to small customers? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭epicmoe

I was wondering where I can buy day old chicks for feeding. I usually pay €3 each from the van. Are there any hatcheries that sell directly to small customers? Thanks

Following. Also looking for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I pay 3.50 for off heat. I figure the difference between the costs of day old is worth it when I take into account 4 weeks of heat, feed, work and risk of death

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

I pay 3.50 for off heat. I figure the difference between the costs of day old is worth it when I take into account 4 weeks of heat, feed, work and risk of death

These seem expensive when you can buy a fresh plucked chicken in Dunnes for €5. I know, I know, it is the joy of rearing them. But then there is also the killing, scalding and plucking bit to be done...

My mother used to raise chickens in the 1970's. She would order day olds from some supplier in Dublin I believe and get them delivered to her in a box off a CIE passenger bus coming from Dublin that passed at the end of our lane in the midlands. I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

These seem expensive when you can buy a fresh plucked chicken in Dunnes for €5.

Only trouble with that is the €5 chicken isn't even related to the one you will rear yourself. Battery chicken is alive for 45-50 days pumped full of grains and little or no room to move around. Home reared will more than likely be out and about picking at what it wants with the grains for almost twice as long.

These seem expensive when you can buy a fresh plucked chicken in Dunnes for €5. I know, I know, it is the joy of rearing them. But then there is also the killing, scalding and plucking bit to be done...

My mother used to raise chickens in the 1970's. She would order day olds from some supplier in Dublin I believe and get them delivered to her in a box off a CIE passenger bus coming from Dublin that passed at the end of our lane in the midlands. I kid you not.
    I'm putting a 3.5kg bird in the oven this afternoon. I reckon it cost me 9e to the point of kill.

Show me a bird of that weight, fed organic food and grass fed for its lifetime at that price.

I believe you about it the bus. I saw it myself as a kid

• Advertisement

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Only trouble with that is the €5 chicken isn't even related to the one you will rear yourself. Battery chicken is alive for 45-50 days pumped full of grains and little or no room to move around. Home reared will more than likely be out and about picking at what it wants with the grains for almost twice as long.

I know all about the difference in rearing. But I have tasted plenty of both free range and butchers/supermarket chickens. Strangely enough Dunnes source very fresh chickens and they taste just as good as the free range ones. Other supermarkets/butchers less so. But yes I appreciate the ethics of it all and I don't like factory farming. But one aspect of the home rearing experience that gets overlooked is the killing and especially plucking parts which are not fun so I wouldn't be inclined to rear broilers myself.

2 of us killed, plucked and gutted 15 birds in a couple of hours.
    One of those birds fed 7 adults, 2 kids and still enough for another dinner.

Show me an organic chicken in tesco for a tenner that could do that?

2 of us killed, plucked and gutted 15 birds in a couple of hours.
    One of those birds fed 7 adults, 2 kids and still enough for another dinner.

Show me an organic chicken in tesco for a tenner that could do that?

That's fair enough. But I have to say that even though I could do the whole plucking and gutting this myself if I had to, it's something that I am more than happy to pay someone else, or a machine, do for me.

That's fair enough. But I have to say that even though I could do the whole plucking and gutting this myself if I had to, it's something that I am more than happy to pay someone else, or a machine, do for me.

I should have edited my other post. To say show me any chicken for a tenner that would feed so many :)

I should have edited my other post. To say show me any chicken for a tenner that would feed so many :)

What was the kill out weight and what age was the chicken?

• Advertisement

What was the kill out weight and what age was the chicken?

That one was 3.1
    All between 2.1 and 3.3 kg
    10 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭jt69er

They were delivered that way all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭memorystick

Do lads feed the bagged poultry meal or just feed barley and wheat. That crumb starter mix would fairly pump them up.

That one was 3.1
    All between 2.1 and 3.3 kg
    10 weeks

The biggest one I can buy in my local supermarket, as previously named, is 2.2kg and retails at €6. There can't be much margin for the poor producer.

The biggest one I can buy in my local supermarket, as previously named, is 2.2kg and retails at €6. There can't be much margin for the poor producer.

There's but they are factory killed at 3 weeks so less feed costs vans bigger economies of scale.
    A 10 week bird cost me 9-10 euro. That's without labour costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Is it very difficult pluck them? I've hens, ducks, pigs, sheep etc and am thinking of getting into broilers but the plucking is putting me off!
    Also, what's the best feed for them? I'm just giving my hens layers at the moment. Chick crumb?

Is it very difficult pluck them? I've hens, ducks, pigs, sheep etc and am thinking of getting into broilers but the plucking is putting me off!
    Also, what's the best feed for them? I'm just giving my hens layers at the moment. Chick crumb?

I use organic Growers pellets.
    Put some washing liquid into the pot of hot water. Get a pair of grooming gloves in amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭memorystick

Do many here process their own birds? The guy I go to is about 25 miles away. €3 per bird isn’t very much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

who can kill and eat their pet chicken

Do many here process their own birds? The guy I go to is about 25 miles away. €3 per bird isn’t very much

€3 is very good IMO. He obviously isn't plucking by hand for that kind of money. Do you need a minimum amount for him at that price?
    I only ever do 2 or 3 at a time so I dont mind doing them myself.

• Advertisement

bobbyy gee wrote: »

If they are reared for food then I dont think they're pets.

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    If they are reared for food then I dont think they're pets.

I call all my broilers Gertrude. Then I kill them :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I can. No problem.
    I've a few pet curly kale plants too. There time is very near!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

My 12 broilers finished between 2 and 2.7kg. Delighted.
    My kale, unfortunately, has been decimated by caterpillars. Looks like roast chicken and stir-fried butterflys for dinner!

My 12 broilers finished between 2 and 2.7kg. Delighted.
    My kale, unfortunately, has been decimated by caterpillars. Looks like roast chicken and stir-fried butterflys for dinner!

Not a bad weight. How old.
    Mine were 10 weeks 2.1-3.3 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Not a bad weight. How old.
    Mine were 10 weeks 2.1-3.3 kg
    I'm not sure but I would say a little older than yours. Maybe 12 to 14 weeks. I killed in two or three batches over a week and a half.

I'm not sure but I would say a little older than yours. Maybe 12 to 14 weeks. I killed in two or three batches over a week and a half.

It took you 2 to 4 weeks longer to get on average a smaller bird than I did.
    You need to sit down and do your sums on the cost per bird and also how much feed per kg weight.
    I was reading some of the US pasture fed producers groups who say 2.8 kg of feed per kg of meat is industry standard. I've met that on both batches though I kept them 2 weeks longer this time.
    I also fed 12 hours on and 12 off.

There is discussion about giving them grit to aid digestion. I'm waiting to see figures from someone whose testing this out in the U S. I didn't this year but will consider it next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

there's a machine that plucks them in 30 seconds it's a drum that spins

there's a machine that plucks them in 30 seconds it's a drum that spins

I know there are machines, but are they feasible for smallholders to buy (this is the smallholders forum)? I have no idea of how much such machines cost. For instance if such a machine cost €5k then it would hardly be economical for a smallholder rearing a couple of dozen broilers per year.

• Advertisement

I know there are machines, but are they feasible for smallholders to buy (this is the smallholders forum)? I have no idea of how much such machines cost. For instance if such a machine cost €5k then it would hardly be economical for a smallholder rearing a couple of dozen broilers per year.

I've seen 3-400 for a drum plucker.
    I did 21 birds this year in 2 batches. I'll probably do 30 next year. Im not sure even that price is justified for small numbers

Advertisement