Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

moulding machine

• 13-11-2012 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new moulder, for skirting architrave and frames. hoping to get it out in one pass, rather than double runs. Has anyone any recomendations or experiences on various machines. 6 or 7 head would be ideal but i'm running on a seriously tight budget. I have only ever worked on a few makes of machines, weinig, wadkin and scm. all the machines would be 80's and 90's.
    all thougths and experiences would be welcome and if you had info in whether the tooling was awkward set or anything would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

1chippy wrote: »
    I'm looking for a new moulder, for skirting architrave and frames. hoping to get it out in one pass, rather than double runs. Has anyone any recomendations or experiences on various machines. 6 or 7 head would be ideal but i'm running on a seriously tight budget. I have only ever worked on a few makes of machines, weinig, wadkin and scm. all the machines would be 80's and 90's.
    all thougths and experiences would be welcome and if you had info in whether the tooling was awkward set or anything would be appreciated.

For skirting,architrave you dont necessarly need a 6,7 head, a 5 head will easily do what your after. I have worked on 9,6 & 5 head machines,all weinig. The 9 head was a beast but you would be talking savage money. The 5 head was a 2003 model and the 6 head a 1985 model and i would rather run the older machine any day, older is not necessarly bad, the 5 head broke my heart, a much better finish of the older machine although the heads on the 6 head could be jointed,the 5 head the couldnt. If your around the midlands i will offer any free help you want in setting the machine etc. feel free to pm if you need anymore advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

were running an scm 4 head machine at the moment. resetting for secondary runs are just wasting time. would grooving the back of the skirt not be more troublesome on a 5 head or am i looking at what in my mind would be nearly like a combination head so in effect both plane and groove in the one pass. i was hoping to get to the stage where the running off was fool proof. were too much waste with lads that loose concentration when running. basically pushing it in any way. Thanks bizzyb for the offer. was in maginns today, seem to have some scrap and whats not is well over priced. Galwaydude budget is open to under 15k. cheaper the better.
    I'm waiting for you to tell me you can do that for me.:D

Ye if you have a profile grinder do up cutters for your top head that will finish and groove the back of your skirting board(based on a 5 head) if you go for a 6 head no need for the above cutters as you will have 2 top heads.
    15k is a nice budget, that 03 5 head weing moulder i mentioned in my previous post was bought from the uk for 10k.
    If your doing alot of softwood maybe think of going for a jointing head moulder, you can up production by running it at high speeds and the finish is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I bought a Weinig 6 head for 14 K plus VAT a few years ago, bought it in 'as is 'condition. ( 2 right heads, wish it had a second bottom),It neded a bit of work but i'm pretty handy at fixing things so i got it working perfectly.
    If i could find a bottom head and fittings, i could add it to the back, all the spaces/ guides are there for 2 more heads, i would have to get a slot cut in the bed though.
    I do a second run to groove / rebate/ plough the backs of shirting and architraves, it would be nice to add a head and do it in one run.

• Advertisement

bizzyb wrote: »
    Ye if you have a profile grinder do up cutters for your top head that will finish and groove the back of your skirting board(based on a 5 head) if you go for a 6 head no need for the above cutters as you will have 2 top heads.
    15k is a nice budget, that 03 5 head weing moulder i mentioned in my previous post was bought from the uk for 10k.
    If your doing alot of softwood maybe think of going for a jointing head moulder, you can up production by running it at high speeds and the finish is much better.
    can you what you mean by a jointing head moulder cheers.
    mainly hardwoods, prob only run around 3-4% softwoods.80% oak at the moment.
    anything you would avoid or to look out for in machines?

http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=jointing+stone&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&biw=1138&bih=520&tbm=isch&tbnid=IVoMPJysRIH0SM:&imgrefurl=http://www.woodtechtooling.com/Jointer_Stones/jointerstones101.html&docid=FpchWjIs-ZL9cM&imgurl=http://www.woodtechtooling.com/Jointer_Stones/JointStoneShaping.jpg&w=437&h=223&ei=HeKoUJCAEYi3hAfs94CADw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=113&vpy=172&dur=554&hovh=159&hovw=312&tx=164&ty=86&sig=112002593101564683609&page=1&tbnh=130&tbnw=243&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:63 tried to find a better picture but this is all i can find, basically if you have a straight knive cutter block with 6 cutters on it,chances are only 2-3 cutters are actually hitting the wood so by jointing with an abrasive stone it gets all 6 cutters touching the wood leading to a much better finish. In the picture this would be regarded as a profile jointer,normally on the 5th and 6th head, imagine the template in the picture is your head the profile jointer moves in and out from the head, on heads 1-4(say doing skirting)your going to have straight knive cutters,these jointers glide parallel to the cutter.
    Jointing is for high speed softwood production,m in your case of doing all hardwood there is no real need for jointing because your only running at a low feed.Its hard to explain in words but hope this gives you some idea!
    Things to look out for, you know yourself just watch out for visible abuse to the machine,what kind of condition its in.
    One tip i would give you,if you view a machine that is still wired up(but more than likely not), run a piece of 7 or 8 by 1 threw it and then measure the inside and outside thickness and make sure the both measure the same. I worked on a 6 head wadkin a few year back and the outside was always 1mm thicker on the outside, anything over 6 inch was always 1.5 thicker, it wont really be a problem doing skirting but if your doing t&g or anything like that it is impossible to get them to match up perfect. That wadkin machine we replaced the 5th and 6th spindles and even replaced the last piece of the bed and still could never get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Big money -I presume for commercial output.? As a diy guy I'd be temped by those American type thicknesser/moulders I see on the box. Woodmaster and Williams and Hussey are the best known. There's the little problem of importing them but it can be done for less than 5K.!

Just curious did you take the plunge after,hope whatever you go for treats you well.

still looking, been around a fair bit of the country and only really one of any interest. A weinig. a LOT OF PURE SCRAP AVAILABLE . One was even delicately stored outside for the last 3 years. the beds were destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

still looking, been around a fair bit of the country and only really one of any interest. A weinig. a LOT OF PURE SCRAP AVAILABLE . One was even delicately stored outside for the last 3 years. the beds were destroyed.

Any scrapped Weinig? I'd love to find a second bottom head for mine.

There is a weinig 6 head on Dondeal in Kerry,only on it since yesterday,hard to tell by the picture but looks in good condition.

bizzyb wrote: »
    There is a weinig 6 head on Dondeal in Kerry,only on it since yesterday,hard to tell by the picture but looks in good condition.
    I was talking to him today. cant get down till next week and he said someone else has already said they would take it. It was reasonable money too with a shot of cutters and heads.

Advertisement