Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cherryblossom. Any good for carving?

Options
  • 10-04-2014 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I have a Cherryblossom tree to cut down soon. Most of the tree has been dead for 2 years (frost damage) with one large branch still living.
    There are a lot of memories attached to this tree, and I would like to make something from it, but is this wood any good for carving? I'm thinking ornamental mirrors/coffee tables. How should I store/dry it?
    I think the fact that one branch is living may give interesting staining in the trunk (18 inch diameter).
    Sap is rising at the moment, would it be best to cut now or wait till winter.
    This will be my first wood carving experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I have used European cherry and its a nice wood. Its a bit 'greener' than American cherry with red/brown streaks through it.
    All cherry will however have a pale sapwood - you will be amazed how your stock will shrink if you cut that away.
    If you have decided that the tree has to go there is no point waiting until winter. Cut it into blanks suitable for carving.
    Planking it is a different matter - I cut small logs on my Hammer 4 hp bandsaw with a home made jig. A sawmill might plank yours but there's not much wood on garden trees !
    Its a medium- soft timber so should be suitable for carving.

Advertisement