Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Update on driving lessons and testing

Options
  • 05-05-2021 2:57pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’ve just received this email from the RSA

Communication for all ADI’s regarding Coronavirus Restrictions.

Dear ADI

Following on from the Ministers’ announcement Friday 30th April 2021 confirming the gradual reopening of some road safety services we would like to confirm the following.

1. Initial Basic Training (IBT), the programme of mandatory lessons that all learner motorcyclists must complete with an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) before sitting a driving test, can resume from 10 May. IBT Trainers should ensure that when delivering IBT training courses that all protective measures are in place before facilitating training –

• Training rooms should be set out to allow for a minimum of 2 metres (6.5 feet) in between each learner during the training day.
    • The size of the room will dictate the number of learners to be catered for, please keep numbers to the minimum possible.
    • Face coverings/masks must be worn.

https://www2.hse.ie/coronavirus/ https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/0bd80-new-public-health-measures-announced-the- path-ahead/

The RSA will continue to deliver motorcycle testing.

2. From the 10 May essential workers will be allowed to take Essential Driver Training (EDT) sessions with an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI). For clarity this, will apply to any essential workers who are just beginning the EDT process and for those who had already commenced their EDT before restrictions were imposed. To confirm this extends to essential workers in the process of undertaking lessons in preparation for Car, HGV and Bus tests. As previously allowed by Government ADI’s can continue to deliver pre-test lessons to essential workers. Those learners in the non-essential category may not take EDT sessions while level 5 restrictions remain in place.

3. We are currently developing a process which will facilitate this new instruction from government. Specifically, we are developing a form, which can be downloaded from the RSA website, which essential workers must complete to ‘self-declare’ their essential worker status. When completed it must be provided to their ADI in advance of their EDT session/lessons. For clarity, the self-declaration form only needs to be provided once by the learner to an ADI, it does not need to be provided before each session/lesson.

4. This form should be kept on file by the ADI as the RSA may seek confirmation that the candidate has signed the ‘self-declaration’ confirming that they are an essential worker. It will also allow ADIs to satisfy themselves that the learner has confirmed that they are an essential worker.

5. The RSA will also reopen its EDT Online Portal, on 10 May, to allow Approved Driving Instructors (ADIs) to upload EDT sessions completed by essential workers and reopen the facility to order EDT Logbooks.

6. The government has also instructed that driving tests for essential workers continue to be the priority for the driver testing service. In line with the gradual reopening of services, driving tests for all those who are eligible to take the test and have been waiting longest will recommence in a limited fashion (To be confirmed). The further opening of the driver testing service will be the subject of discussions between Department officials and the RSA in the coming week. It is expected that the earliest invitations will start to be issued to these customers towards the end of this month.

7. National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) centres will continue to remain open for essential workers only until 17 May, when they will re-open for all customers. NDLS customers who have a Public Services Card or MyGovID can apply online at ndls.ie.

We understand that people have been waiting for these services but would ask everyone for their patience as plans are put in place to gradually re-open services over the coming weeks. Information will be posted on the RSA website as these plans are finalised. Unfortunately, the RSA does not have further information at this time, and we would ask customers not to call the RSA. Further details will be announced as they are finalised in the run-up to services recommencing.

We hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards

Stephen Murphy
    Acting Head of Driver Education
    5th May 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fakent.ie

thank you for the info, should we text our instructors to inform them we are essential workers, or wait till they text us asking if we are?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Fakent.ie wrote: »
    thank you for the info, should we text our instructors to inform them we are essential workers, or wait till they text us asking if we are?

I’ve posted on my school page that I’ll take bookings from Saturday to give time for the declaration system to be put into place. I personally wouldn’t text round all my pupils, the onus is really on them if they want to book but that’s just me, I’m not sure how your instructor likes to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 haypennydenver

And sorry, Hi Mascot.

But can my ADI upload a batch of lessons onto the portal right away that were taken, but that was previous to the portal being closed to them. Can he/she upload them now automatically from the 10th. Those EDT lessons are simply done, and I'm waiting on those as an essential worker for the test

And sorry, Hi Mascot.

But can my ADI upload a batch of lessons onto the portal right away that were taken, but that was previous to the portal being closed to them. Can he/she upload them now automatically from the 10th. Those EDT lessons are simply done, and I'm waiting on those as an essential worker for the test

They can from 10th May onwards, the portal doesn’t open til then. Unfortunately they had to close the portal due to ADIs continuing to do EDT lessons during Level 5 restrictions. The RSA issued a couple of warnings which seemed to fall on deaf ears and they closed it completely. We can’t even order a logbook just now.

They can from 10th May onwards, the portal doesn’t open til then. Unfortunately they had to close the portal due to ADIs continuing to do EDT lessons during Level 5 restrictions. The RSA issued a couple of warnings which seemed to fall on deaf ears and they closed it completely. We can’t even order a logbook just now.

Cheers. Yeah I'll just have a word with school before the week is finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Just to get it right can anyone who is classed as an essential worker take ETD lessons from the 10th regardless of whether they have started EDT lessons before the portal was shut down?

I have a family member who needs to do the EDT and sit a test asap but their instructor told them last night it was not possible as they had not started lessons before the shutdown?

gary550 wrote: »
    Just to get it right can anyone who is classed as an essential worker take ETD lessons from the 10th regardless of whether they have started EDT lessons before the portal was shut down?

I have a family member who needs to do the EDT and sit a test asap but their instructor told them last night it was not possible as they had not started lessons before the shutdown?

Only an instructor with a heavy schedule would say that. Most instructors would take the hand off for this scenario.

Anytime prior to the 10th, persons without a test date, essential worker or not could not take EDT's. Only scenario where i think your instructor statement applies. No test = No EDT

This is where it worked out for me, I received a test and was an essential worker and therefore got lessons. But thats all lifted now for essential workers

gary550 wrote: »

Yes, they can do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Thanks for posting that update.
    Any word on when "non essential" drivers can get lessons ?

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that update.
    Any word on when "non essential" drivers can get lessons ?

I’m afraid not.

• Advertisement

What's the current turnaround does anyone know for essential workers with all their stuff together for applying and subsequently receiving a test date.

RSA say be ready for test at short notice but what's the word on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

Just to clear here as I'm a little confused. If I want to book lessons as a non essential worker do I have to wait until the govt/RSA give the go ahead for that?

What's the current turnaround does anyone know for essential workers with all their stuff together for applying and subsequently receiving a test date.

RSA say be ready for test at short notice but what's the word on the ground

A couple of weeks max depending on the centre

Just to clear here as I'm a little confused. If I want to book lessons as a non essential worker do I have to wait until the govt/RSA give the go ahead for that?

Yes, 100%

What documents do I need then as essential work for lessons and/or test

I need the declaration form from the RSA.
    Whats my employer got to say? Letter off them needed too??

Anything else except from the driving related documents Id's and that stuff

What documents do I need then as essential work for lessons and/or test

I need the declaration form from the RSA.
    Whats my employer got to say? Letter off them needed too??

Anything else except from the driving related documents Id's and that stuff

Complete the RSA declaration form and give it to your driving instructor along with your learner permit. That’s it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If you pass your theory test, obtain permit, can you drive accompanied by someone with a full license before you do EDT?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    If you pass your theory test, obtain permit, can you drive accompanied by someone with a full license before you do EDT?

Yes, provided you’re insured on the car you’re driving

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fakent.ie

Any idea how long the wait is for urgent driving tests in Dublin, applied today also waiting on instructor to upload all the lessons, they are completed though.
    Cheers

Advertisement