Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quitting a job on the first day/week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I took a job walloping (washing) pots in a kitchen in my youth. Relentless chefs dumping hot pans into the sink on top of your hands saying "Need this now". Bringing heavy, minging leaking bins down narrow spiral stairs to the outside bin.

Break area was stinking, a dump generally. Not unusual for a Castle come hotel sorta place. Got my dinner from the kitchen on the way home and said I'd see you tomorrow.

Never went back. Kept the plate though

I obviously couldn't stand the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Genuinely think he chickened out of coming back so got daddy dearest to show up

He was fairly obnoxious. We as working bar staff were beneath him, immature attitude.

The brief conversation I had with him he mentioned he wanted to get into dinosaur animation!

Still remember it as was so random

Ya know yerself the type - wouldn’t work to warm himself.

I know the type. I worked on the sites years ago laboring to 2 or 3 block layers, tough work but I enjoyed it. we had a lad working with us one summer, he was just after finishing school, useless lazy git. I remember I was busy working (he was just standing there watching us work) and asked him to put the kettle on, he was so lazy that I had to eventually go and do it myself after half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭all the bais

phill106 wrote: »
    Went for a marketing job when i was out of work after the crash. Interview on the phone, they said i sound great, can i come in for a onsite meeting to see what the role is like? Sure
    5 minute interview and told that its going door to door trying to sign up people to a charity direct debit, think it was for some blind charity?
    Anyway pure dodge. Told we get X amount of money from each sign up, but no actual wage, but i could still sign on the dole, so that should be fine?
    They drove us miles away to another town, walking around with a "leader" who had been doing this for ages. All i could remember was wtf is going to give direct debit details to a guy walking around with his toe literally sticking out of a hole in his shoe!
    I noped outta there at the end of the day, taking it as a lesson and never went back.

The exact same thing happened me, back when I lived in Derry. Applied for a 'marketing job' one summer. The interview was one of the vaguest you've ever seen, and it was probably my first ever interview, so when I got a chance to ask some questions I panicked and said I was fine. Got the call saying I was successful - Happy days.

Following Monday, I show up to the office all excited, hoping to get shown a desk of some sort, and get stuck in right away. Walked into reception and there's a gang of ****ers all gearing up in SSE Airtricity coats, with satchels and notepads. DOOR 2 DOOR selling lecky. I was raging. We're split into teams and and I am put with a 'leader' and another imbecile. Anyway, we proceed to her car, as she's driving to the area we're supposed to be selling it. Whilst walking to the car, I was seriously contemplating doing a runner, but resisted. She then drives out to the arse end of Donegal to go door to door, getting people to switch to SSE. As it was day 1, I was shadowing her.

She said I showed great potential that day, and I would be fit to go by myself the next day. I was all enthusiastic about it, saying I can't wait. Didn't even bother setting the alarm the next day. Didn't get a call or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I lasted a day and a half at Milton Keynes council tax debt collection office. Was shown to a computer, and never spoken to again, by anyone! I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing, so Tuesday lunchtime I just went for lunch and never went back.

I did much the same about 20 years ago. Lasted a bit longer though. Almost three months. I’d decided I should get a ‘proper’ office job with a large life assurance company. Turned up on the first day and the person who was to induct me wasn’t in. I got gradually forgotten about and managed to somehow flip between the cracks. The woman I was supposed to be working for left, and everybody else presumed I was busy at something. One day after lunch I forgot to tag back in on the electronic system. I thought the game was up and I’d have to answer to somebody. Nada. I asked one of the lads and he told me the system worked on benefit of the doubt. If you remembered to clock out at the end of the day, it’d presume an oversight and automatically fill in the blanks. My pattern became: arrive and click in at 9, clock out for lunch at 12:30, pop back in st 6pm to sign off for the day. Used to spend 12:30-6 hanging out with mates, having coffee, and exploring 2nd hand book and record shops.

Decided to head off travelling a few months in and just left the work ID on my desk when I headed off one afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Started in a job in the 90s called diamond express one of these companies that at the start of the day they high five each other and shout and roar how good a team they are, walked in at 8:30 saw this s**t turned around at 8:35 and walked out f**k that there to work not do that ****e.

No way, i lasted 4 hours with those dip****s :D
    I remember the American who ran the place giving out because the crowd wasn't enthusiastic enough that morning.
    I collected a big duffle bag full of torches and went out trying to sell them door to door. After a couple of hours I thought fup this, what am I doing.
    Made up a story about a few young lads trying to rob me and dumped the tat back with them. I actually sold a few torches but you got a punt for every torch you sold, pure scam of an operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

endacl wrote: »
    I did much the same about 20 years ago. Lasted a bit longer though. Almost three months. I’d decided I should get a ‘proper’ office job with a large life assurance company. Turned up on the first day and the person who was to induct me wasn’t in. I got gradually forgotten about and managed to somehow flip between the cracks. The woman I was supposed to be working for left, and everybody else presumed I was busy at something. One day after lunch I forgot to tag back in on the electronic system. I thought the game was up and I’d have to answer to somebody. Nada. I asked one of the lads and he told me the system worked on benefit of the doubt. If you remembered to clock out at the end of the day, it’d presume an oversight and automatically fill in the blanks. My pattern became: arrive and click in at 9, clock out for lunch at 12:30, pop back in st 6pm to sign off for the day. Used to spend 12:30-6 hanging out with mates, having coffee, and exploring 2nd hand book and record shops.

Decided to head off travelling a few months in and just left the work ID on my desk when I headed off one afternoon.

That's fantastic.

Whn I grow up I want to be like you. :)

It's just like Office Space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I took a job walloping (washing) pots in a kitchen in my youth. Relentless chefs dumping hot pans into the sink on top of your hands saying "Need this now". Bringing heavy, minging leaking bins down narrow spiral stairs to the outside bin.

Break area was stinking, a dump generally. Not unusual for a Castle come hotel sorta place. Got my dinner from the kitchen on the way home and said I'd see you tomorrow.

Never went back. Kept the plate though

I obviously couldn't stand the heat.

And you got out of the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Took a job with an agency in galway city in a metal fab workshop about 15 years ago when i was stuck. I was the only Irish lad there the rest were 30 eastern Europeans all of them dog ignorant rough characters 90% working away with a fag in their gobs. We were trying to fill a big contract to make steel beds for the prison service. I was stuck filling down the beds to make sure there were no sharp bits that could cause injury. That's all i was to do. The "canteen" had no water, 1 kettle, a broken microwave, a broken toaster, no table or chairs just a triple airline seat ripped out of an airplane thrown in the corner for us to sit on. I lasted 3 days. Agency rang me 4th morning wondering where I was I told them to go and fcuk themselves that they forgot to mention the gulag conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Took a job with an agency in galway city in a metal fab workshop about 15 years ago when i was stuck. I was the only Irish lad there the rest were 30 eastern Europeans all of them dog ignorant rough characters 90% working away with a fag in their gobs. We were trying to fill a big contract to make steel beds for the prison service. I was stuck filling down the beds to make sure there were no sharp bits that could cause injury. That's all i was to do. The "canteen" had no water, 1 kettle, a broken microwave, a broken toaster, no table or chairs just a triple airline seat ripped out of an airplane thrown in the corner for us to sit on. I lasted 3 days. Agency rang me 4th morning wondering where I was I told them to go and fcuk themselves that they forgot to mention the gulag conditions.

596971.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I remember a young lad who got the boot before he had even started.
    The boss was on his wayin on the Monday morning and caught him smoking a joint outside and sent him packing.

Man that takes so much balls to do I would be tempted to keep a fella like that on my crew!

A lot of stoners say it's good to go in baked your first day so the boss just thinks your eyes always look like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

When I lived in the states I got hired to work for this guy who made fonts, he worked out of his home, in a big suburban new build. He was the first person with an English accent I had ever met in person, as I moved to the US when I was a child.

He was okay to me, but his wife would occasionally come in to talk to him about something and he was incredibly rude to her, which made me uncomfortable but I tried to pretend I didn't notice. But then on the 2nd day they were talking about something he'd spilled on the floor, with the wife saying, 'I'll have to scrub that carpet now.'

And your man sneers and says, 'Well, you're Irish, you were made to scrub.'

He didn't know I was born in Ireland and my mother supported our family when I was growing up by working as a cleaner for a wealthy family.

I never went back, the guy called me a few times leaving messages, unfortunately I didn't have the balls back then to tell the príck why I wasn't coming back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

endacl wrote: »

Ah wow you really won the lottery of life there! If we should all be so lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ha. That's weird. I had the exact same experience in Canada as well.

Was called by a recruiter about a role. Went to the 'interview' which was not at all that and was exactly as you described above, and when your man had left the room around lunchtime I said "fúck that" and walked out.

Any chance you were selling Aircon/heating sealing equipment or something?

I can't remember the name of the company, but all I recall was that they had the worst logo I've ever come across.

I honestly cant remember what it was, haha, have a feeling it was hydro/electricity packages but searched my old emails and couldnt find anything. This was in Ontario about 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Was door-to-door for one of the electric companies, but lasted about two days after meeting nothing but rejection at every door. Soul-destroying, although my daily step count was excellent.

The warning signs were there when I arrived for my interview, when the interviewer to get the dates mixed up and left me waiting in a hotel like a gombeen without even making an effort to let me know.

Training essentially consisted of us getting a photo taken for the lanyard yoke we wore and given a jacket. We weren't taught any sales techniques, only that we needed to know the unit price. One fella left a steady job in a phone shop under the premise that he'd be given a company car and a management position, was told during initiation that he wasn't, and didn't come back the next day. Another new recruit arrived a few hours late on the first day and he was either drunk or mentally challenged, but either way not someone you'd want representing your company.

I was literally thrown into the deep end as I had zero experience. As despondent as it was, I kept telling myself it can only get better. That one sale will kick-start a flurry. But the straw that broke the camel's back was on day two when an elderly lady came to the door, revealed that she previously was a customer but had switched provider a year earlier, because the company were basically a nightmare to deal with and their meter didn't even work properly (they never called technicians out to sort issues). She was left with the old meter and they never bothered to collect it or anything.

Took a late lunch, wrote a resignation letter, and drove straight down to an inter-county match.

Have never looked back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Just the one for me also, like others it was down to being completely lied to during an interview.

Part-time job during college, interview for call centre role - interview is based that it's manning customer complaints helplines, basically taking details of complaints over the phone and logging them. Boring but sure grand job. Arrive on first day, setup with phone and pc, given list of numbers to call and script I'm not supposed to deviate from trying to talk to CEOs of various companies (one of them was coca cola Ireland ffs). After about three calls, the person who I had called asked what on earth this call was about, I laughed, apologised, hung up and walked out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I did once. As a desperate student looking to make ends meet i applied for a job in a restaurant in Belfast. Unfortunately in my haste I hadn't realised the place was owned by Loyalists. During the shift I overheard the owner and barman call me a Southern cünt. Decided not to go back after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Bobby Kerr has such an infectious enthusiasm for.doing right by anyone who wants to give a business a go. He's hard not to like.

Ive met Kerr several times and have booked him for events etc and have been so impressed at how genuinely sound he was. You can’t fake the kind of niceness and interest in people that he has. A gent.

Back on topic, only time I ever walked off a job was in Melbourne in 2002 I went to an agency job that I was led to believe was in marketing, it ended up being a chugger role in a shopping centre trying to get people to sign up to charity donations via direct debit. As soon as I saw what was happening I said I needed to go to the jacks and I just kept walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

retalivity wrote: »
    I honestly cant remember what it was, haha, have a feeling it was hydro/electricity packages but searched my old emails and couldnt find anything. This was in Ontario about 10 years ago

Yeah, I was in Ottawa, in 2014. I've been wracking my head all day about it.

A blurry version of the logo is sticking i my head... gah.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The least amount of time I lasted in any job was a month in Pizza Hut...so slightly better than one day/week. It was my first job. The staff and management were just cunts, and that's putting it politely. One girl in particular was just unbelievable. Every time I asked her about a task, she'd huff and puff, call me all sorts of names and reluctantly...VERY reluctantly, show me what to do. She was so deeply unpleasant to deal with, I dreaded having to ask her anything. The management, all little Hitler types in their 30's, were just as appalling. The owner of the franchise was an Indian bloke who wouldn't even shake my hand when I offered it.

I handed in my notice and, basically, fucked off to the dole. Life is just waaaaay too short to put up with that nonsense in any workplace. I made a vow to myself that I would NEVER work in the service industry ever again.

Any other job I had, I only left when I was made redundant or the company was bought out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

was that in Ireland? if so which outlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Tony EH wrote: »
    The least amount of time I lasted in any job was a month in Pizza Hut...so slightly better than one day/week. It was my first job. The staff and management were just cunts, and that's putting it politely. One girl in particular was just unbelievable. Every time I asked her about a task, she'd huff and puff, call me all sorts of names and reluctantly...VERY reluctantly, show me what to do. She was so deeply unpleasant to deal with, I dreaded having to ask her anything. The management, all little Hitler types in their 30's, were just as appalling. The owner of the franchise was an Indian bloke who wouldn't even shake my hand when I offered it.

I handed in my notice and, basically, fucked off to the dole. Life is just waaaaay too short to put up with that nonsense in any workplace. I made a vow to myself that I would NEVER work in the service industry ever again.

Any other job I had, I only left when I was made redundant or the company was bought out.
    Absolutely, especially when you can get almost as much money for being on the PUP in some cases. The pandemic really put things into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Had worked all my life since i was 15, and was made redundant, so was pretty desperate for a new job, and as luck would have it, I managed to bag a plumbing apprenticeship, to start on the Monday after the Factory i had been working in shut down. Amazing.

During the "interview", the plumber who would be training me seemed absolutely lovely, real fatherly type of character.

Started anyhow, and Jesus, it was like a personality transplant. One ignorant bastard. He used to love to lecture people - I got it for 20 minutes on the first morning for rubbing my eyes!

There was no actual training. You'd be brought to a place, told what to do, and just were expected to know how to do it, and he'd just disappear off in the van, to collect us all again at 6pm. Or you'd be told to do one thing, and when you'd be in the middle of doing that, get roared at and told to do something else, all the while being insulted or called stupid.

I was working with young lads, general apprentice age, but I was 24 at this stage, and i wasn't going to take that kind of abuse for anyone. Especially for 12 hour days, 6 days a week. And the odds of doing plumbing work depended as well. You could just as easily be sent to his farm to go farming for the day, and the week after i left, his apprentices were all put to work re-reoofing his house.

I left after a week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Had worked all my life since i was 15, and was made redundant, so was pretty desperate for a new job, and as luck would have it, I managed to bag a plumbing apprenticeship, to start on the Monday after the Factory i had been working in shut down. Amazing.

During the "interview", the plumber who would be training me seemed absolutely lovely, real fatherly type of character.

Started anyhow, and Jesus, it was like a personality transplant. One ignorant bastard. He used to love to lecture people - I got it for 20 minutes on the first morning for rubbing my eyes!

There was no actual training. You'd be brought to a place, told what to do, and just were expected to know how to do it, and he'd just disappear off in the van, to collect us all again at 6pm. Or you'd be told to do one thing, and when you'd be in the middle of doing that, get roared at and told to do something else, all the while being insulted or called stupid.

I was working with young lads, general apprentice age, but I was 24 at this stage, and i wasn't going to take that kind of abuse for anyone. Especially for 12 hour days, 6 days a week. And the odds of doing plumbing work depended as well. You could just as easily be sent to his farm to go farming for the day, and the week after i left, his apprentices were all put to work re-reoofing his house.

I left after a week

Hopefully the roof caved in on the miserable twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Catering crowd that does fast food at GAA matches, or at least did late 00s. Boss was an absolute bullying pig, took off my apron, threw it in his face and told him to shove it, then walked out.
    did you get to see the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Never quit on the first day/week but I did get a job and not turn up on the first day.

Well over 20 years ago and waiting exams results so I was looking for some easy job to see me through a 4-5 month period.

I ended up applying for this awful door to door sales thing tryng to get people to sign up to donate to charity. 100% commission based which I don't think was even legal. It was £5.00 per sign up but if you got no sign up you got £0.00. I spent an entire day (unpaid) 'training' shadowing a guy to see how it worked.

Went home that weekend and it dawned on me over a few drinks: "Like eff I am spending 8-10 hours a day knocking on door asking for bank details."

Didnt turn up on the Monday morning. Mobile going mental all day with them ringing me- refused to answer. Went off to a call center for a few months.

Awkwardly a few weeks later I got into a lift at a shopping centre and the very guy who had been ringing me was in the lift before me. We recognised each other but said nothing- a very very awkward stoney silent lift journey with just the two of us followed. "Please please please hurry up"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

phill106 wrote: »
    Went for a marketing job when i was out of work after the crash. Interview on the phone, they said i sound great, can i come in for a onsite meeting to see what the role is like? Sure
    5 minute interview and told that its going door to door trying to sign up people to a charity direct debit, think it was for some blind charity?
    Anyway pure dodge. Told we get X amount of money from each sign up, but no actual wage, but i could still sign on the dole, so that should be fine?
    They drove us miles away to another town, walking around with a "leader" who had been doing this for ages. All i could remember was wtf is going to give direct debit details to a guy walking around with his toe literally sticking out of a hole in his shoe!
    I noped outta there at the end of the day, taking it as a lesson and never went back.

Jaysus that is just like the nonsense I signed up for but never showed up for.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I did that door to door crap. Eircom phone watch. Lasted a day, no pay. Only a young lad, I had 1 suit. Called to a house, and out runs the little dog. Ran straight past the meatier guy I was shadowing, and took a bite of my knee. Happened so fast. Trousers ruined. Didn't get the sale. Told her man I'm done and went home.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

First ever real job I had, straight after the Leaving Cert, collecting for charity door to door, direct debit.

After 2 weeks of walking around for free most of the time (commission only) I walked into the managers office and told him it wasn’t for me, I was bricking myself but he commended me for sticking it out for the two weeks and being honest with him (goes to show he must’ve had a lot of people walk off the job)

My friend got a similar job selling electricity and gas, it paid better and didn’t meet as much resistance on the doors, went off there for the rest of the summer and after the experience of the first place, it seemed easier.

Luckily it’s been a few years since those jobs and have been pretty much consistently employed since, only leaving a job to take another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

My first job at 15, in the local bike shop.
    Customer walked in - 'Can you fix this puncture?'
    'No'
    * Awkward silence *

I was gone by lunchtime.

Advertisement