Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are farmers ever happy?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Haha Paddy who? If he tries real hard he might be as good as me some day

I have lived in important places, times
    When great events were decided : who owned
    That half a rood of rock, a no-man's land
    Surrounded by our pitchfork-armed claims.

I heard the Duffys shouting "Damn your soul"
    And old McCabe stripped to the waist, seen
    Step the plot defying blue cast-steel -
    "Here is the march along these iron stones."

That was the year of the Munich bother. Which
    Was most important ? I inclined
    To lose my faith in Ballyrush and Gortin
    Till Homer's ghost came whispering to my mind.
    He said : I made the Iliad from such
    A local row. Gods make their own importance.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Great poem

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

drake70 wrote: »
    "Kiss my axe!" ;)

Announce me, dwarf.

Er... Sláine Mac Roth... a bone-splitter, a reddener of swords, a pruner of limbs who delights in red-frothed, glorious carnage. No welcome visitor. Not a friendly face. Your lives would be prolonged for getting out of his way. Excellent with the axe and sword he is. Far from trifling the wounds he gives with his ungentle, woe-working weapons. Well damaged his enemies. Their tribes are full of vacancies. But I expect you know that yourselves now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

A lot of angry farmers here it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Angus2018 wrote: »
    Yep! The only way farming will survive in 20-30 years is if the country moves towards mega farms owned by businesses with huge feedlots and dairy parlours that could handle 1000+ cattle. On the bright side it would mean a liveable income with holidays and workers rights but it would also mean the death of the family owned farm in Ireland.

Ehh I dunno. Our dairy (and beef) exports is largely due to our perceived image abroad of small scale and grass fed animals. If we move to big industrial ranches then the quality and the quality perception will take a steep drop and so will demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its to do with the media in a way, the IFA and the like are a trade union so they only make the news when they are complaining the rest of the time farmers make the news is the likes of some farmer tormenting his neighbors with a crow banger or is prepared to go on hunger strike over a rock or a right of way.

So in the media its either the trade union or the loons in farming that get the most attention.

The farmer who is making a modest living and is content enough never makes the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I know a farmer who would give Gordon Gekko a run for his money, and then another who is a much smaller operator who is very nice and decent. Farmers, in general, are a mixed bag just like the rest of us I suppose.

Dan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

First year in college shared a house with a farmer's son. He was on the full grant. Bank holiday rolls up and he's says why don't we live it up in his home village and you can crash at my parents. The size of the house! And farm! Unreal, I says to him "and you on the full grant?" and he's replies "sure the land earns you money!". I never forgot that.

Advertisement