Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are farmers ever happy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ipso wrote: »
    Maybe an infected spinal column on a bap.

You should have said baguette, because a spinal column would fit in a baguette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

whelan2 wrote: »
    If it was that good everyone would be at it

Yeah I can just pop out and get 150 acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Hey you wanna make a bit of money. You should do what I did, get into farming. See this, I got this selling corn, it comes out of the ****in ground, I couldn’t believe it. You see that, it’s made of chicken, it’s actually made of chicken, you kill it, you got free chicken and you can sell it to people, or don’t kill it, ****in eggs come out of their asses. ****in hell. You know sheep a bit wooly, it’s wool! Pull if off and sell it, ****in grows back again, you can not lose. [cock-a-doodle-doo] Brilliant you don’t even need an alarm clock. Unbelievable, it’s only 5 in the morning and I’m right where I work. And while the other poor sods struggling in on the tube, I’m gonna get some milk from a cow who’s a jammy bastard! Look at all this milk, I’m gonna make a ****in fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Hi, ye Jackeens! Farmers have shotguns, JCBs and acres and acres of land out woop-woop. Just sayin', like... :D

Their grievances are genuine.

Unlike overpaid, underworked leeches who call themselves teachers.
    ratracer wrote: »
    I like the way this is going........let’s not forget taxi drivers, publicans....

Sure throw in the Israelis, the travellers, and the cyclists and it's practically bingo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sure throw in the Israelis, the travellers, and the cyclists and it's practically bingo!

In the quiet words of the Lord Weird Slough Feg, "Awake, you ghouls! Drink their ichor! Feast on their giblets!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

DS86DS wrote: »
    For as long as I can remember, news stories of angry and discontented farmers have kept popping up in the newspapers as well as on television.

Whether it be from complaining about subsidies, to complaing about hedgerows, to complaining about pylons, to complaining about wind turbines, to complaining about foxes and badgers, to complaining about hikers and strollers, to complaining about environmental impositions, to complaining about drones, to complaining about just about everything, they never seem to be happy with their lot in life. Despite being subsided by urban workers, they will nonetheless complain about townies along with tales of this and that being Dublin-centric.

They will complain that their boreen doesn't have the same standards of infrastructure, waste disposal services, public transport or access to other such key services as the evil Dublin-centric Dublin area full of Dubliners, forgetting of course that these urban areas are densely populated ones which also happen to pay more than their fair share of taxes in order to cover and justify such services. They act like they are self-sufficient guardians of the land and have an almost messiah complex that they're keeping the rest of us alive with their hard work and toil. When in reality, they are heavily subsided by government taxes, paid of course in large part by the urban workforce.

They consistently flout environmental laws almost to the point of criminal negligence. Miles upon miles of rivers and groundwater sources throughout the land are heavily polluted thanks to corrupt and incompetent farmers allowing run off from farms to continue with often disastrous results for everything from fresh water fish populations to the sources of drinking water for others.

Greedy farmers often with land on flood plains have for decades strong armed their local gombeen TD's and councillors into getting their parcel of land rezoned and cashing in big time in the thereafter. During periods of heavy rainfall, whole housing estates built within unsuitable river valley areas have been flooded resulting in millions of euros worth of damage. As per usual, if a local authority refuses to grant farmers planning permission to rezone their land to residential - they will kick up a fuss and complain

Whenever they feel the slightest grievance, whether real or imagined - they will decend upon Dublin en masse in their tractors intent on causing traffic chaos throughout the city until they've felt they've gotten their point across and gotten what they wanted in the first place. If that doesn't work, they will bring their tractors down again and thus - complain, again.

In short, it seems like farmers are never happy.

Never publicly

Privately, amongst the happiest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Sounds like someone failed their leaving.

Thus old chestnut. I hate teachers therefore I'm a waster. :rolleyes:
    I actually have a masters in a physics related field despite having my intelligence insulted by a couple of teachers who got more enjoyment in enforcing petty rules than actually teaching.

Edgware wrote: »
    Would you be happy if you had 150 acres, a herd of milk cows, 1000s from E.U. without getting out of bed and all you get from your government is " a raw deal"?
    If you have 150 acres of dairy, you were probably up around 05:30 this morning.

Ridiculous comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭893bet

Ridiculous comment.

7 days a week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

topper75 wrote: »
    Ah - it's more I'm willing to produce lettuce if I can get €1 a head for them and somebody else is willing to spend €1 for a head of lettuce = the lettuce is sold.

No deal at 80c a head or €1.20, but no death ever. I think you might have lost the run of yourself there a tad.

Give everybody magic money and you have more people with more money looking to buy that same lettuce. The price comes under pressure and rises.
    You are at square minus 1 (less competitive economy). Das Kapital doesn't seem to cover any of this.

Ah here nobody cares that much about lettuce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ridiculous comment.

The jackeen has very little understanding of the role that agriculture and farming plays in the food chain. Yes, even their 'legendary' batter burger has Irish beef in them.

It would appear they also have very little understanding of the role of subsidies in making that food affordable.

screamer wrote: »
    Jees did you have your weetabix this morning?

WhatsApp farmer wee'd on your cornflakes OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

893bet wrote: »
    7 days a week.

Not forgetting that in many dairy farms, the cows are milked twice a day, especially in summertime. Not that easy to take a flexi day off or to head away for a long weekend with the missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

The jackeen has very little understanding of the role that agriculture and farming plays in the food chain. Yes, even their 'legendary' batter burger has Irish beef in them.

It would appear they also have very little understanding of the role of subsidies in making that food affordable.

Of course we do! The bloody poor farmers won't stop bleating about it!

No poo thread here

Pure Manure wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"........the farmers motto....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ridiculous comment.

This is boards. The home of ridiculous comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Surely shooting trespassing dogs and American backpackers is a compensatory source of cheer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 21,933 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

jimgoose wrote: »
    Hi, ye Jackeens! Farmers have shotguns, JCBs and acres and acres of land out woop-woop. Just sayin', like... :D

Not for much longer ;)

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/farmers-could-be-forced-to-dump-their-guns-39364088.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It seems to me that the gap between urban and rural Ireland that existed for generations has become a very wide chasm in the past 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I take it the OP is a farmer... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

DS86DS wrote: »
    For as long as I can remember, news stories of angry and discontented farmers have kept popping up in the newspapers as well as on television.

Whether it be from complaining about subsidies, to complaing about hedgerows, to complaining about pylons, to complaining about wind turbines, to complaining about foxes and badgers, to complaining about hikers and strollers, to complaining about environmental impositions, to complaining about drones, to complaining about just about everything, they never seem to be happy with their lot in life. Despite being subsided by urban workers, they will nonetheless complain about townies along with tales of this and that being Dublin-centric.

They will complain that their boreen doesn't have the same standards of infrastructure, waste disposal services, public transport or access to other such key services as the evil Dublin-centric Dublin area full of Dubliners, forgetting of course that these urban areas are densely populated ones which also happen to pay more than their fair share of taxes in order to cover and justify such services. They act like they are self-sufficient guardians of the land and have an almost messiah complex that they're keeping the rest of us alive with their hard work and toil. When in reality, they are heavily subsided by government taxes, paid of course in large part by the urban workforce.

They consistently flout environmental laws almost to the point of criminal negligence. Miles upon miles of rivers and groundwater sources throughout the land are heavily polluted thanks to corrupt and incompetent farmers allowing run off from farms to continue with often disastrous results for everything from fresh water fish populations to the sources of drinking water for others.

Greedy farmers often with land on flood plains have for decades strong armed their local gombeen TD's and councillors into getting their parcel of land rezoned and cashing in big time in the thereafter. During periods of heavy rainfall, whole housing estates built within unsuitable river valley areas have been flooded resulting in millions of euros worth of damage. As per usual, if a local authority refuses to grant farmers planning permission to rezone their land to residential - they will kick up a fuss and complain

Whenever they feel the slightest grievance, whether real or imagined - they will decend upon Dublin en masse in their tractors intent on causing traffic chaos throughout the city until they've felt they've gotten their point across and gotten what they wanted in the first place. If that doesn't work, they will bring their tractors down again and thus - complain, again.

In short, it seems like farmers are never happy.

What absolute shyte

Teachers would whinge way more than farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Teachers would whinge way more than farmers

Never really understood that myself as I said earlier I taught for a number of years (secondary and adult) and was perfectly happy with my pay and conditions TBH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

DS86DS has actually described rural dwellers as a whole rather than just farmers. Aging land hoarders ("but its for Johnny when he leaves school") who moan about literally anything that changes the status quo while demanding the "luxuries" that are only possible for high density populations.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It seems to me that the gap between urban and rural Ireland that existed for generations has become a very wide chasm in the past 20 years.
    When the farmers marched on Dublin in that historic protest in 1966, they were often joined by men coming home from their work in the evenings, living in falling-down buildings nearby, and were fed by the housewives of the area; because they could see they were in the same boat.

Things have since improved for farmers, but they still face a lot of the same pressures as working class people in the cities. Construction workers in particular. Both sets of workers are hugely exposed to cyclical economic policies and the financial markets, and many have worked in these sectors from a young age and would find it impossible to progress in any other employment.

But I cringe when I see farmers driving into Dublin in tractors to protest, it sends out the wrong message; the fact that these machines represent debt, not wealth, is often lost on people. They got that tractor-protest idea from the French, but forgot to factor-in how enormously unpopular it made French farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

But I cringe when I see farmers driving into Dublin in tractors to protest, it sends out the wrong message; the fact that these machines represent debt, not wealth, is often lost on people. They got that tractor-protest idea from the French, but forgot to factor-in how enormously unpopular it made French farmers.

Take the farmer’s “beef” with the meat processors, it’s quite clear to everyone that the processors and the supermarkets are making a tidy profit.

How are City folk supposed to show their support for the farmers there? If we stop buying meat products the farmers are still going to get a “raw” deal.

The government can try get involved but what can they say other than say “c’mon” to the big shots. Although, it would be nice for someone in government to “sack up” and threaten to focus on the employment practices of these places, treating staff like dirt, quietly deporting injured foreign workers and their, piss poor, handling of this Covid crisis.

But, of course, that won’t happen. “Big farms” will supply their meat for whatever price their given, the processors will mark up their price to the supermarket supplier and they will, in turn, mark up what they like to us.

Can’t see anything changing there.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I live in an area with plenty of dairy farmers. There is no shortage of money between them. Of course, they don't admit to this and they constantly go on about how broke they are, but the huge mansions and new jeeps both themselves and their spouse/children all have tell a different story.

Are they even happy? The ones I know seem pretty content anyway!

Advertisement