Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is 200 enough of a wedding present from a couple?

Options
  • 13-06-2018 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

On another thread a poster was saying that 200 was a stingy wedding gift from a couple and that they shouldn't bother going if they are not willing to give much more than that.

Does anyone else think this is nonsense? Anyone who organises a sensible wedding and doesn't spend thousands on chocolate fountains, Baby Bentleys for the page boy, harpists in the lobby, cigar stands, fireworks, free cocktails and personalised napkins will get a good proportion of their outlay back if every couple gave them 200. Anyway, it's not about the money, it's about the love. Supposedly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

€200 is about right for a couple I'd say, I think I gave €150 for the last one I went to. Meh. Whatever you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

200e seems reasonable to me, should people bankrupt themselves in order to meet the nonsense that is a wedding party?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

It's been a while since I was at a wedding but €200??? FFS. I think I gave them a mirror :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

As a couple, 150 is enough. I give no more that 70 as a single person/guest. Although I only gave 50 up to a couple of years ago, so it could be heading towards 100/200 as a cash gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

aoh wrote: »
    It's been a while since I was at a wedding but €200??? FFS. I think I gave them a mirror :-)

Did it reflect badly on you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

aoh wrote: »

That’s a poor reflection on you.

Ah bollox, beaten to it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d say 200 is about right. That’s what we normally give, also just to say giving less is fine if you don’t have it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

€200 for a working couple is the norm around here.

A few years back we were both in college and gave a bit less as we simply couldnt afford anymore.

My wedding is coming up in September and would be delighted at €100 per person. Its a small wedding in a good venue so its more important to me that the people coming enjoy themselves and have a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Got married a few years ago loads of envelopes flying around like the scene in Goodfellas but our favourite gift was a handmade embroidered framed message that one of her mates who hadn't a pot to p1ss in gave us easy to put cash in an envelope but that took time and it meant a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

This gift giving ****e for weddings is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

It's an awful pity that it's treated as an entrance fee.
    Or that gifts are de facto covering the cost of the event.
    Let's say some people were going through a tough time financially. Should
    they turn down a wedding invitation. Because they can't pay their way in.
    Would the couple still want them there gift or not. Due to a bond of friendship.

In our house a wedding invite is as welcome as a summons. It really is like a summons if its assumed I'll be handing over 200 quid also.

My go to wedding present is a silver photo frame with the date of the wedding for the bride.

If they don't like it, then don't invite me to wedding #2 if there is one.

Got married a few years ago loads of envelopes flying around like the scene in Goodfellas but our favourite gift was a handmade embroidered framed message that one of her mates who hadn't a pot to p1ss in gave us easy to put cash in an envelope but that took time and it meant a lot

That's lovely. It's been years since I was last at a wedding. Myself and boyfriend at the time gave €100. In the unlikely event of me getting married I think I would actually say "no money please just bring yourself".

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

aoh wrote:

Did you want them to take a good look at themselves???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you really didn't want presents/cash, you could have an anonomyous donor charity box. Have 2/3 nominated charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

TBH I was simply delighted our friends turned up to our wedding, we got married in 2009 and nearly every single friend guest was either unemployed, on a 3 day week or had moved because of the recession.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

200 is crazy money jesus christ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

When it has reached this level im glad i dont get too msny invites.
    We got a 50 pound note from an aunt for our wedding nearly 35 years ago.
    Im not kidding when i say id never seen one before.
    Think it was the only money we got as a gift all the rest eas stuff ifkwim.
    I say give what you genuinely can afford. If a couple are bothered by it then tough. Let them only choose then to 'celebrate their love' with those that can afford large sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I feel 200 is a reasonable sum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

We give €150 as a couple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

In our house a wedding invite is as welcome as a summons. It really is like a summons if its assumed I'll be handing over 200 quid also.

I would rather a night in prison more than some of the weddings I had to attend. They can be such an expensive chore.

150-250 for a couple is fine. You're paying for your meal and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

bluewolf wrote: »
    200 is crazy money jesus christ

Its almost as if people are trying to recoup the money they’ve spent on ridiculously lavish weddings!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Same story here, have to remember who some of these people are when it arrives and invariably the daughter/son or third cousin that I haven't seen in a decade (if at all) and usually on top of that they are in the arse end of nowhere so hotel on top

200 euro is more than enough and I think 100-150 is more than reasonable.

Wedding gift lists at whichever store are good - choose what you can afford knowing it's something they wanted

We give 200 minimum, more for family or if one of us a bridesmaid/groomsman etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

I always look at it like paying for your dinner so usually 150-200 from a couple!

That being said though if I got some of the meals I've gotten at weddings from a nice restaurant costing 200 they wouldn't be getting paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

200 is very generous if you can afford it. I would only give that to someone close.

Went to a wedding a while back and it was far away. Cost of travel and hotel meant I could only afford to stick 100 in the card. Felt like I was giving too little for a sec, but quickly realized how ridiculous that was - i was spending a fortune to get to the thing.

The pressure surrounding Irish weddings can be crazy. It's easy to feel like you HAVE to put this in the card, you HAVE to go to the stag/hen, you HAVE to stick around the day after, or god knows what everyone will think of ya! F*ck that.

Don't put yourself under pressure. If the couple are reasonable they will appreciate whatever guests can afford to give. If they are not reasonable, don't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

€150 to €200 is loads. Anyone who says it's not enough is a fool to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ye should have put on the invitation thoughtful gifts only.(No Cash)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

150-200 for the 2 of us. If they want to have the gig in Ashford castle and weddings by franc organising it so be it. I'm not paying any extra!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

€200 is... a LOT!! Weddings are an expensive pain in the hole. Especially when people graciously have them in the back end of nowhere so you’ve to book a room too. As a single person I’d be giving around €50-70. If it’s a family wedding we’d all pool in so there’s be around €250-300 in the card.

Advertisement