Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bangladeshi Trainee Garda and His Sham Marriage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Absolutely. Of course.
    If their partner is from Belarus though, I would probably be asking tougher questions.

How do you know these questions weren't asked?

Why were GNIB investigating this particular individual in the first place. I would imagine that in the event of a tip off the HR department would continue as normal until GNIB had investigated the matter, to do otherwise could be discriminatory.

Yes, and my point is, how they got the citizenship should be scrutinised immediately. They should not be in training a year later.

How do you know they had Irish citizenship, there's no mention of that in the RTE article.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

amcalester wrote: »
    How do you know they had Irish citizenship, there's no mention of that in the RTE article.

They didn't

They had EU residency rights becasue they had gained Lithuanian rights after marrying lithuanian women

Riskymove wrote: »
    They didn't

They had EU residency rights becasue they had gained Lithuanian rights after marrying lithuanian women

That's what I thought, Irish citizenship isn't a requirement for being a Garda.

The OP is all over the place and needs to take a deep breath, calm down and reasonable and clearly set out his complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

This place gets worse by the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

and anybody who doesn't fit into these groups and applies to AGS is dodgy. Big sweeping brush much?

Twist, twist, twist.

You replied to me originally when I replied to someone who didn’t see the big deal with this case as the fraudster in question wasn’t here to milk the benefit system.

I replied stating that the GS don’t need a shady character like this in the force.

You then suggested that I had somehow called all Bangladeshis shady.

It’s literally there in the thread. Each time you’ve twisted and twisted words to put words in my mouth and misrepresent what I said. It’s a pathetic way to post on a discussion board. I’d suggest it’s you that has a big brush making broad strokes rather than dealing with what is actually being said.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Twist, twist, twist.

You replied to me originally when I replied to someone who didn’t see the big deal with this case as the fraudster in question wasn’t here to milk the benefit system.

I replied stating that the GS don’t need a shady character like this in the force.

You then suggested that I had somehow called all Bangladeshis shady.

It’s literally there in the thread. Each time you’ve twisted and twisted words to put words in my mouth and misrepresent what I said. It’s a pathetic way to post on a discussion board. I’d suggest it’s you that has a big brush making broad strokes rather than dealing with what is actually being said.

i suggested no such thing. i asked a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

brianblaze wrote: »
    This is a very thinly veiled 'feckin foreigners' thread

Not veiled at all more like it!

i suggested no such thing. i asked a question.

Course you did. You just quoted my original post for the craic, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Yes, because even more shady characters on the force is exactly what the Gardai needs. :rollseyes:

Indeed,I wonder if they have driving licences in Bangladesh....?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/garda-who-never-sat-driving-test-loses-appeal-over-having-no-licence-1.3403404

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »

There are multiple stories available of shady coppers within AGS. We don’t need to import them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

1) What are we doing bringing dodgy Bangladeshi guys in to the police force.
    There are no Bangldeshi people in Ireland, who are likely to join the Gardai.
    We are mugs.

I've met a few lads from the Indian subcontinent who are married to women, also from the Indian subcontinent and working here as nurses, doctors or in IT. Some would make excellent guards - at very least they would be able to count the number of breath tests they performed correctly. And their cultural background would stand them in investigating certain crimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

im sure the Kinahans and Hutches are quaking at the thought of 5'5 bangladeshis joining the guards. There is enough midgets in the force already.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Laughed my arse off reading the link.

Shows the Guards have not a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have different cultures in the Guards would be terrific idea actually. Fully support it.

Just don't hire the old lads who break the law

That is not my point at all.

I am highlighting the fact that we have people in this country who are clearly blaggards and we are taking soft approaches on it.

There are plenty of Bangladeshis here legally, but they tend to be in Hospitals and other such high skilled jobs as I have pointed out.
    Where we have an eastern asian bloke sending in applications, with history that is not in a high skilled job, plus married to a poor eastern european, then that application should be immediately scrutinised.
    He should not be turning up for training months later in Templemore.
    It is PC ****e

Highlight away,as I'm confident there'll be plenty of smokescreen blowing this way shortly.....:)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/trainee-garda-married-gay-woman-in-sham-marriage-for-15-000-1.3472798

The Paper of Record account appears a tad more "complete" that the RTE one....and raises some issues about the timeframe too....
    A Garda recruit has resigned from the force after it was found he paid a woman €15,000 for a sham marriage so he would gain the right to live and work in Ireland.

Quite a significant fee involved for the facility too !!
    Last year, about three years after the sham marriage, he was so sure he had cheated the system and his sham marriage had gone undetected, he applied to join the Garda.

Our man was no gobdaw,he knew how to keep off the radar alright.
    He passed the aptitude and physical tests and was among the successful applicants to reach and pass the interview stage of the recruitment process run by the Public Appointments Service.

The PAS are most likely warming up their Public Relations machine as we type,to deal with any tricky questions,on the robustness of their Interview process for becoming a Garda.
    After initially claiming asylum here they then married two women from Eastern Europe. Both of the women are gay but they agreed to marry the men for a fee of €15,000 each. The marriages were carried out without incident. And in interviews with the Irish National Immigration Service (INIS) both couples satisfied staff their marriages were genuine and so the men were given permission to live and work in Ireland on a permanent basis.

A Wedding without incident....surely some mistake ?

What other exotic elements will turn up as this case unfolds,like a dance of the seven veils ?

God be with the days when it was only the Dubs who could'nt get into Templemore....:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Highlight away,as I'm confident there'll be plenty of smokescreen blowing this way shortly.....:)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/trainee-garda-married-gay-woman-in-sham-marriage-for-15-000-1.3472798

The Paper of Record account appears a tad more "complete" that the RTE one....and raises some issues about the timeframe too....

Quite a significant fee involved for the facility too !!

Our man was no gobdaw,he knew how to keep off the radar alright.

The PAS are most likely warming up their Public Relations machine as we type,to deal with any tricky questions,on the robustness of their Interview process for becoming a Garda.

A Wedding without incident....surely some mistake ?

What other exotic elements will turn up as this case unfolds,like a dance of the seven veils ?

God be with the days when it was only the Dubs who could'nt get into Templemore....:D

There you go bringing "facts" to the story.
    That'll make you an even bigger racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I presume you don't need Irish to join the gardai anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Still dont get the OP's rambling. I mean if the Bangladeshi had legitamately been married should he still have been prevented from joining AGS?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Still dont get the OP's rambling. I mean if the Bangladeshi had legitamately been married should he still have been prevented from joining AGS?

I think the OPs original point is that an unskilled Bangladeshi married to an Eastern European lady should have been setting off alarm bells, especially after he had already been denied refuge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dude89

I presume you don't need Irish to join the gardai anymore?

I'm sure the man had his leaving cert and was fluent in Irish and they did a background check on him in Bangladesh lol.... what a disgrace.

If it's any consolation, OP, the RTÉ Radio 1 security guy Reynolds was saying @6pm that the reason AGS want to recruit more foreigners is because a whopping 22% of the population of Ireland between the ages of 18 (20?) and 40 was born outside Ireland. If true, as stastics go that's a well-kept secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

From the Times article above:
    A Garda recruit has resigned from the force after it was found he paid a woman €15,000 for a sham marriage so he would gain the right to live and work in Ireland.

To be fair,the OP has not rambled at all,direct and to the point I would say,the only rambling has been from a couple of posters eager to diversify,and embrace other stuff....from wherever it comes.

In the meantime,we know little of the Banglagarda's friend,who married the other Lesbian Lithuanian....or is it Lithunian Lesbian ??

But,with Brexit in mind,I'm sure the PSNI might be worth a punt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think the OPs original point is that an unskilled Bangladeshi married to an Eastern European lady should have been setting off alarm bells, especially after he had already been denied refuge.

But he was caught by out by the immigration service. The people who are supposed to investigate this stuff. So I have no idea what the problem is. Are they the wrong people to catch him?

Grayson wrote: »
    But he was caught by out by the immigration service. The people who are supposed to investigate this stuff. So I have no idea what the problem is. Are they the wrong people to catch him?

Exactly, I really don’t see what the issue is.

The system works, it might be slow but it works.

Can you make a list of passports and the list of jobs that they are not allowed to apply for?

I dont think OP is pointing out one nationality specifically. Surely you understood the point he was making? or were you just hoping for some cheap thanks :pac:

The point OP seems to be making is that people who are from countries outside of the EU ideally should be here on a skill visa, which generally you only get if you are working as a doctor, IT, Nurse etc. These people on skilled visas wouldn't be eligible to join the Gardai, so I think OP was just curious how this guy could get into Ireland without a skilled visa and apply for the force.

I don't think OP was being in anyway anti foreigner, with the skills shortage in areas like IT we need skilled immigrants. I am very pro immigraiton but I still would wonder how a lad born in Bangladesh, without a proper skill..... would get a visa into Ireland that would make him eligible for the police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

See on rte there is an item about a Bangladeshi chap who got himself a sham marriage and then was admitted into AGS training.

This stuff annoys the hell out of me.
    Couple of questions arise.

1) What are we doing bringing dodgy Bangladeshi guys in to the police force.
    There are no Bangldeshi people in Ireland, who are likely to join the Gardai.

2) Are the Garda not a bit extra suspicious when bringing these guys for interview that broadly, they are spurious characters who shouldn't really be here in the first place.

Bangladeshis who are here legitimately tend to be working as doctors, IT engineers and Pharmacists for example, not call centres and farm hands.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0424/956889-garda-sham-marriage/

The whole thing is just so stupid. The fact a Bangladeshi or other similar national who wants to join the guards at all should lead to suspicion immediately.
    We are mugs.

Sounds like a certain bitter somebody applied for the Guards and didnt make the cut.

Its OK, the Banglideshis are at fault so they are

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If a non EU person legally resides here then Presumably they have to be here legally for a period of time then they are eligible to apply for a job in the guards.

If the guards then accept them and train them why is there an issue?

This man it seems was abusing the system and has been found out. So what is the issue. No non EU people should be eligible to join the guards ever? OP is that your point ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I'm bemused that people are repeatedly asking what the problem is. It's as if they haven't seen the repeated posts explaining what the problem is.

In fairness to this fellah, he must have nerves of steel. He knows he is in Ireland illegally with a sham marriage and he decides to push his luck by joining the Guards. Not smart, but its something.

Advertisement