Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Income is finite..

So is sense it would appear

I enjoy alcohol, I'd like to have a few drinks every night, but I know that that is not a very healthy approach to life.

Do you know it enough to just not drink every night (like most of us do), or do you need to be priced out of the market for your own protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So because you have no self control to do something you want to do, everyone else should be forced to do something they don't necessarily want to do in order to assist you in doing it?

Immature nanny-statism at its finest.

I've loads of self control.

On average I drink about 1 unit of alcohol a week.

But if the price doubles I'll probably only drink 1/2 unit per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

But if you want to reduce your consumption, and you have self-control, then you can just reduce it to 1/2 unit per week without the need for a price increase. If the price increase is necessary for you to reduce your consumption, then clearly you don't have the necessary self-control.

So I again put it to you that advocating a policy which will force everyone to make similar lifestyle changes, just because you want to make them yourself but you can't do it without the government corralling you into doing it, is profoundly selfish and regressive.

I suppose someone who desires to have fewer one night stands but can't bring him or herself to make that choice unaided, would be justified in advocating legislation restricting individuals' sexual freedom in order to "help" them make that lifestyle change for themselves? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Both my parents have had struggles with the drink. My dad has been an alcoholic most of his adult life, and very rarely drinks at home, save for a can now and then to get rid of the shakes. It seems to be the pubs that draw him in, he has no interest in drinking in the house.

My mothers behaviour evolved over the last 10 years, a few glasses of wine at the weekend turned into every night. That turned into straight vodka hidden around the house, out of her mind 24/7.

Why does Mr. Harris think my mother needs his intervention, but my father doesnt? Im genuinely puzzled. Im of the view that neither do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A half pint or one small spirit measure or a small glass of wine per week.

You will be fine.

Your proposed move to reduce your consumption by 50% is unnecessary both on economic and health grounds.

• Advertisement

Both my parents have had struggles with the drink. My dad has been an alcoholic most of his adult life, and very rarely drinks at home, save for a can now and then to get rid of the shakes. It seems to be the pubs that draw him in, he has no interest in drinking in the house.

My mothers behaviour evolved over the last 10 years, a few glasses of wine at the weekend turned into every night. That turned into hiding drink and straight vodka hidden around the house, out of her mind 24/7.

Why does Mr. Harris thinks my mother needs his intervention, but my father doesnt? Im genuinely puzzled. Im of the view that neither do.

Your father is contributing to allowing publicans their continued ability to charge ~€5 for a pint of beer and act as if this isn't an unimaginable rip off. Your mother, on the other hand, is providing desperately needed competition with that industry which, in any functioning market system, would force them to reduce their own prices rather than trying to force everyone else to increase theirs ;)

So naturally, your father is a healthy drinker, whilst your mother is the binge-drinking scourge of society we've been hearing about throughout this entire thread. :D

On a serious note, I hope you manage ok in that situation and that your parents aren't doing too badly themselves. The hiding drink thing is analogous to those who go to the pub and tell everyone at home that they were working late or at the gym or whatever, it really sucks both for them and for yourself. My family has a history (two generations ago now but all the same) of drink issues, so for myself while I do enjoy going nuts on "the sesh" as evidenced by my own posts in this thread, I do try to avoid drinking at all at least three days per week. And I definitely wouldn't bother doing it if there wasn't anyone else around to enjoy it with.

Whether having most of the week drink-free and having one or two days where you go out for a few pints and wake up the next morning half naked in a shipping vessel full of pigs destined for South America* is healthier than drinking every day but never having full-on seisúins is up for debate :D

*It's only happened like twice, we all have our skeletons dammit

We could probably have a whole new thread discussing why people drink.

For my part I drink because I like the taste of it.

elperello wrote: »

I used to drink in order to get that "every woman in this club is way out of your league, just stick with your mates and don't talk to anyone" voice in my head (an unfortunate leftover from having been the fat kid in secondary school :D:D:D) to shut up, but over time my self-confidence has massively improved (whether the beer is having lasting effects or my personality has improved of its own accord, ye decide :D ) so now I just do it because I enjoy the taste and I like the buzz it gives me. I'm acutely aware of the feeling I get from "the one that's one too many" so I know when to knock it off on a given night before that horrible morph from happy-emotional to sad-emotional.

I do tend to have unimaginably goofy and hilarious phone calls with friends at the end of nights out, but they're for a different thread altogether :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,838 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mainly that.
    And wine is a supercondiment with most meals... for me no other drink enhances the taste of the food the way it does, red wine with red meat, white wine with fish, rose with shellfish.

Finally I dont have to have a drink to relax but when I drink it is a signal that I am off duty for the rest of the night.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

bob mcbob wrote: »
    The experience I have seen in Scotland is

Any of the high strength s**t beer / cider selling below MUP has gone off the market and in the case of stuff like diamond white, that is a good thing.

The mass market "premium" lagers have not been too much affected by the MUP but the price difference between them and real premium beers (brewdog / innis & gunn) is reduced. More people are trading up and buying quality. The craft beer makers seem to be using this as an opportunity to increase volumes

I have not seen any difference in wine prices.

All promotions on alcohol are gone

Some supermarkets won't let you use vouchers / etc if alcohol is included in your basket

In general for a moderate drinker drinking good beers / wine I have not seen any difference.

There's a big difference between Scotland and Ireland, the rip off culture is not as prevalent in Scotland.
    Anyhow you're more likely to see Declan Rice playing competitively for Ireland than this actually bring implemented.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Really though ?

It isnt clear whether anyone likes the taste of alcoholic drinks.

It is more likely that the 'acquired taste' for alcohol is simply a combination of association with good times, conviviality, being adult, choosing one drink over another as a mark of one's discernment and individuality, affectations of sophistication, and subscribing to the various aspirational lifestyle constructs of the advertising industry.

Combined with a propensity to enjoy feeling squiffy. But that is unrelated to the taste as such.

Learning to appreciate alcoholic drinks does appear more a case of learning to accept them without revulsion rather than true enjoyment.
    Children, unaffected by these influences, always repel alcohol (unless masked by excessive syrup or overpowering flavour) - which is the honest human reaction to the the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Really though ?

It is more likely that the 'acquired taste' for alcohol is simply a combination of association with good times, conviviality, being adult, choosing one drink over another as a mark of one's discernment and individuality, affectations of sophistication, and subscribing to the various aspirational lifestyle constructs of the advertising industry.

Combined with a propensity to enjoy feeling squiffy. But that is unrelated to the taste as such.

Learning to appreciate alcoholic drinks does appear more a case of learning to accept them without revulsion rather than true enjoyment.
    Children, unaffected by these influences, always repel alcohol (unless masked by excessive syrup or overpowering flavour) - which is the honest human reaction to the the taste.

bollix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

bollix

While I find your arguments compelling, well elucidated, and with a certain logical foundation, I still feel that your case breaks down due to its lack of genuine rebuttal of my proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Really though ?

Children often don't like vegetables either.

While I find your arguments compelling, well elucidated, and with a certain logical foundation, I still feel that your case breaks down due to its lack of genuine rebuttal of my proposition.

Well all I can say is that I really really like the taste of the drinks that I imbibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Quackster wrote: »
    Duty free is generally restricted to plane or ferry (or more unusually train) travel as opposed to crossing a land border so you won't be able to claim back the UK duty but you'll still be restricted to bringing back a very small allowance before being forced to pay Irish duty and VAT on your purchases. You may be able to claim back the UK VAT though.

There'll also be the hassle of having to stop at an Irish customs facility somewhere to make your declaration and pay any monies due or risk being stopped, having your goods confiscated and potentially being fined if you attempt to smuggle alcohol across the border.

There's a few between Greece and Turkey, Russia and Finland.An entrepreneurial type will no doubt take up the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

My comment is all that your post warranted. You dont like something so nobody else can either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

This might be a stupid question, but can we not just buy it online from another country in the EU and get it delivered to our door?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so increasing the minimum age of alcohol will reduce the amount of younger people drinking alcohol? are we trying to rationalise again?

Under 18s have asked me to buy them drink in the past and I said no. If the law changed so under 21s could not buy drink, I would say no to them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Under 18s have asked me to buy them drink in the past and I said no. If the law changed so under 21s could not buy drink, I would say no to them also.

They will just ask the person after you to buy them beer.

• Advertisement

Really though ?

It seem like you have never had the right wine with the right food or are somehow lacking in the ability to appreciate it. It doesn't just taste good it makes the food taste better.

Tasters can appreciate the qualities of a superior wine to a basic one, of an aged whisky to a basic one - and act upon this in how they spend their money. It's just not just about the buzz of the alcohol, that is only one element in the mix.

People's tastes evolve as they get older. The tastes of children are irrelevent unless you're planning on selling stuff to kids. Coming to like something through a gradual process of acquisition is still liking it. It's not just alcohol, it's coffee, tea, chilis, cranberry juice even. Bittersweet is a combination that appeals to humanity across culture and time.

Will you be lobbying your local TD to put a minimum price on motor vehicles?? 158 deaths last year. Thousands of people hospitalised. Who’s paying for the hospital treatment of all these rta victims??

This thread is about alcohol. Focus weldoninhio.

This thread is about alcohol. Focus weldoninhio.

It's clear you are focused on trying to ignore analogies which highlight the basic flaws in your logic.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    That's a bag of rubbish. To take one example Tesco don't just have own brand booze, they have own brand bread, toilet roll, refuse sacks, bottled water, soft drinks, juice, biscuits, handwash, toothpaste, shampoo which is 'low priced' relative to a full price branded product... LIDL run weekends with half price wine, they also run weekends with half price toilet roll, pet food and yes, rubbish bags. It's about getting customers in the door and market share. It's not some deep ploy to create a nation of drinkers any more than it's a ploy to create a nation of bog roll users or pet owners.

There are different reasons why drink is cheap, in the above case the motive may be footfall but the consequence is the same as when drink is given away cheaply to lure another generation into the habit of drinking alcohol. Hence the necessity for the legislation.

VinLieger wrote: »
    So we have a higher price and higher age limit than our european cousins who drink less than us and your solution to get us drinking less is to increase both further?

That's some joined up thinking alright

Not sure what you mean. As far as I know the age limit in most other EU countries is 18 just as it is in Ireland. In Ireland, salaries are fairly good (too good in my opinion) hence the cost of living is generally higher.

Culturally, the Irish are known for drinking and to slay that dragon we need unapologetically draconian legislation with much higher prices.

There are different reasons why drink is cheap, in the above case the motive may be footfall but the consequence is the same as when drink is given away cheaply to lure another generation into the habit of drinking alcohol. Hence the necessity for the legislation.

It's not cheap, you keep saying that without any justification whatsoever. We already have some of the most expensive alcohol in the EU.
    Your blatant "ostrich in the sand" attempts to ignore this point have not gone unnoticed.

It's not about luring in the next generation. When you're not sure what to drink, you don't go out and buy a slab of cans of a full bottle of whiskey. You're buying individual bottles of beer, naggins of spirits, premixed cocktails, all of which if you look at the alcohol % and price won't be affected by MUP because they are smaller quanities and so more expensive.
    Go into LIDL at 1030 on a saturday morning on a weekend with a nice half price wine. It's not teenagers buying it.

Finally, there's nothing wrong with drinking alcohol in moderation. There's nothing wrong with the habit of drinking alcohol. There's nothing wrong with teenagers coming to like alcohol and enjoying it.

Not sure what you mean. As far as I know the age limit in most other EU countries is 18 just as it is in Ireland. In Ireland, salaries are fairly good (too good in my opinion) hence the cost of living is generally higher.

Culturally, the Irish are known for drinking and to slay that dragon we need unapologetically draconian legislation with much higher prices.

Not only is our drink too cheap but we're paid too much as well.
    We're so feckless we probably shouldn't even have the right to vote.
    *tugs forelock*

You are beyond parody at this stage.

If it was 1820 I might agree with you but could you come back to the reality of 21st century Ireland and cut out the quasi racist / irish self-hatred guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,855 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Coming to like something through a gradual process of acquisition is still liking it.

Not everyone's first ride is great either. I suppose we're all only pretending to like sex.

Life ain't always empty.

What gives you, or me, or anyone else the right to tell people how to choose to deal with psychological demons that they have?

To tell can mean to inform or to order. I used it to inform. Wasn`t that nice of me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,855 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not only is our drink too cheap but we're paid too much as well.
    You are beyond parody at this stage.

You're talking to the guy who wants to bring back workhouses.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement