Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does the Irish army do much to defend Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The camp in Athlone is more than sufficient for the army. We could enter into an agreement with the British to protect our air borders for a fraction of the cost of doing it ourselves.

As a sovereign state we should really be protecting our own airspace ourselves not relying on a foreign country to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Luckyfran wrote: »
    Public workers lol..... join the luas drivers. Ye a paid very well for doing what a private sector worker would call 'feck all'

You didn't attempt to answer either of my questions - but sure never mind.

I honestly don't have a clue what current PDF pay is like, good or bad.
    RTE did a report recently that mentioned something like 20 % of them receiving Family Income Supplement. Given that there are unlimited hours involved that doesn't sound like Luas Drivers to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Luckyfran

A fully 'qualified' soldier is on what ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

cajonlardo wrote: »
    You didn't attempt to answer either of my questions - but sure never mind.

I honestly don't have a clue what current PDF pay is like, good or bad.
    RTE did a report recently that mentioned something like 20 % of them receiving Family Income Supplement. Given that there are unlimited hours involved that doesn't sound like Luas Drivers to me.

The people I know that joined the PDF certainly didn't do it for the pay, even after tech pay, promotions etc, it's still not fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ED E wrote: »
    Not that it really matters but it would be nice to see the PDF have at least a few mobile SAM platforms as a mild deterrent. But then I suppose we'd need the facility to actually monitor our airspace
    they do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Public workers lol..... join the luas drivers. Ye a paid very well for doing what a private sector worker would call 'feck all'

Luas drivers get way better pay for the work and hours they do compared to the average army personal. On another note the Luas drivers are private sector not public.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Well, in terms of defending "Ireland" not much as a foreign invader occupies 1/6 of the island.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Given that the point of an army is to secure a countries borders, defend against subversives/private armies etc the fact that the general area of our land border with NI meets both criteria, it would seem reasonable to have a base midway between Finner Camp and Co.Louth.
    The Navy, under resourced and toothless as it is, has some capability on our water's, while our air force is a joke. When Russian bombers were running dummy bombing exercises over our airspace we didn't even know they were there. We had to rely on the neighbours to keep us informed.

Russian bombers have not been in nor over our airspace.

If you are asking me, I posted already I haven't a clue what current pay is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Russian bombers have not been in nor over our airspace.

The RAF sees to that.

• Advertisement

Parachutes wrote: »
    Well, in terms of defending "Ireland" not much as a foreign invader occupies 1/6 of the island.

OH NO YOU DIDNT !!!!

The N.Ireland that the people of the Republic gave up a claim to in a democratic election? Damn democracy getting in your way of invaders claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

The N.Ireland that the people of the Republic gave up a claim to in a democratic election? Damn democracy getting in your way of invaders claim.

It was a remark made in jest, of course :)

If you are asking me, I posted already I haven't a clue what current pay is.

Im assuming a soldier is on 40k
    after 5 years or so I wish you lads knew how lucky you are

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

ED E wrote: »
    Not that it really matters but it would be nice to see the PDF have at least a few mobile SAM platforms as a mild deterrent. But then I suppose we'd need the facility to actually monitor our airspace and there's no hope of enough coppers for that.

There are a handful of these...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBS_70
    it's very modest though.

The white paper commits to radar at some point in the next decade.... at a cost of just €10m

It was a remark made in jest, of course :)

Fair enough. So much rubbish around here at the moment it's hard to tell who is serious and who is having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its painfully obvious that those slating the Defence Forces have no idea what they do.

I'd be fairly confident that those same people have forgotten or weren't born when the PDF were emptying bins during the rubbish strike...I can't imagine any of these imaginary Guards would do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

i just had a quick google and after 5 years its 431 a week which means 22400 a year.

Word to the wise : stop digging. Honestly. Its getting silly.

The RAF sees to that.

the RAF has not actually stopped any Russian Bombers entering Irish or UK airpsace because why would Russia try to do that?

• Advertisement

Its painfully obvious that those slating the Defence Forces have no idea what they do.

I'd be fairly confident that those same people have forgotten or weren't born when the PDF were emptying bins during the rubbish strike...I can't imagine any of these imaginary Guards would do the same.

Did that :D Gave me an apprecciation of what the bin men do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

the_syco wrote: »
    The english army would appear in the other 26 counties, as just like last time; someone would invite them in, and no-one would be able to make them leave.

There is no such entity as the 'english army'.

Most of us that spent time in the other six counties wish you joy of the twenty-six that you currently have.

Please keep them in good health, and be happy that the many years of misery suffered by those who live there never came down to you to any great degree.

tac

Muslamic ray guns and the queen of England.

Garbage.

tac

diomed wrote: »
    They stopped the English from invading and taking our wimmin and turf. 100% successful so far.

More garbage.

tac

435 + 65 euro is for a 5 year soldier isnt great i thought they were on a lot more but look soldiers arent rocket scientests like the luas lads they have an inflateted view of themselves

435 + 65 euro is for a 5 year soldier isnt great i thought they were on a lot more but look soldiers arent rocket scientests like the luas lads they have an inflateted view of themselves

who have an inflated view the soldiers or the luas drivers?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

The Gardai have not got the experience to tackle ied disposal.

And they never will have. What personal experience have you to comment on EOD as a matter of interest?

EDIT : Also can you comment on how you'd fund Garda pay with overtime as opposed to a Soldier on a fixed wage? Question has been asked several times in this thread but no answers?

It would be handy enough fund if the cuts to the army as suggested were implemented.....

Tbh anytime i hear the public sector i wanna puke.

Tbh anytime i hear the public sector i wanna puke.

great input

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

]I once seen the Irish Defence Forces up at the Devil's Bit Templemore. They lit the fire by rubbing sticks together, erected their tents, stitching badges on their vest and were singing camp fire songs.

Advertisement