Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

lertsnim wrote: »
    Stuart Lee is to comedy what a funeral is to having a good time.

I saw him live once. We all laughed out of fear that other people might think we are not getting the "joke". Also Stewart's scary. With his big angry Somerset farmers face.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Well with cutting edge material like that you must be an authority on the subject....

I don't claim to be a comedian so if you think that what I wrote was material then perhaps your sense of humour is ****e. This would explain why you would rate Stuart Lee. Wishing blindness on people is so edgy and funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

Jian Ghomeshi was, like Clarkson in the UK, a prominent media figure, albeit on radio, rather than TV. Like Clarkson, Ghomeshi worked for a state-run broadcaster (albeit, in the latter's case, the CBC). Ghomeshi was given the boot a couple of days after showing a video, to senior staff at Canada's equivalent to the BBC, of what he thought was a consensual sexual relationship. Since then, Ghomeshi has been slapped with several rape charges and one count of choking. It remains to be seen if he will receive a prison term. Clarkson isn't under criminal investigation for his conduct, although the numerous gaffes have his media career (at least with the BBC) up in the air.

Will the consequences of Clarkson's conduct follow that of Brian Williams? If Clarkson has another thing going for him, it appears to be he hasn't been caught lying about covering something. At least BBC isn't a right-wing gabfest in Fox News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I don't claim to be a comedian so if you think that what I wrote was material then perhaps your sense of humour is ****e. This would explain why you would rate Stuart Lee. Wishing blindness on people is so edgy and funny.

Way to miss the entire point of the gag.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

sonofenoch wrote: »
    If you have 'Dave' it's not far off it......I actually enjoy the show, it's easy uncomplicated viewing

Lol yhh ok u have a point there haha he is on 24/7 but yhh it is good fun viewing but we ain't allowed fun on tv anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Way to miss the entire point of the gag.....

I must be beneath the genius of Stewart Lee. My loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

jayo26 wrote: »
    Lol yhh ok u have a point there haha he is on 24/7 but yhh it is good fun viewing but we ain't allowed fun on tv anymore.

Whatever about fun, text speak isnt allowed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The BBC highlighting his previous controversies whilst making them millions smacks of someone wanting the knife twisted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I must be beneath the genius of Stewart Lee. My loss.

Doesn't take a genius, he explains it if you've bothered to watch it. Try it, you might learn something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What happens if like me you enjoy Stewart Lee and Jeremy Clarkson?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sebbplatter

Stuart Lee is to comedy what a funeral is to having a good time.

Who's Stuart Lee? Any relation to Stewart the stand up comedian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

so on twitter they are saying he "aimed a punch at a (male) producer"

so if thats true will he stay suspended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

hoodwinked wrote: »
    so on twitter they are saying he "aimed a punch at a (male) producer"

so if thats true will he stay suspended?

Go Jezza!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You are aware that he's a television presenter?

Presenter being the operative word. He's not a comedy actor or even a decent actor so the whole "hamming" (aware of pun) up to the camera just comes across as a hopeless attempt at being funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

A few Fifth Gear fans hanging about.

You know what's even better than the actual entertaining elements of the show ? Watching the sheer amount of overly sensitive, boring sanctimonious clowns throwing every anti-ism at Jezza and taking his upper middle class, laddish xenophobic persona seriously.

Something seriously off-putting about someone who hates Top Gear because of its banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

He's not a real hamster.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Never got the attraction of Top Gear, 3 smug presenters who think they are very funny up to laddish pranks.

Also went off Clarkson when he had his own chat show years back on BBC2. He was just a troll who is anti rest of the world (particularly America) and "Britain this, and Britain that". I'd say he has a collection of Union Jack cushions and shirts in his house.

Can't stand that jingoistic sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Who's Stuart Lee? Any relation to Stewart the stand up comedian?

What Stewart and Stuart have in common is neither of them are comedians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

For what it's worth I think May is the best presenter of the three. He's done some excellent stuff away from Top Gear.

Way back in the mists of time, Clarkson used to write some entertaining stuff for Performance Car. Have always felt that really, he was better when you didn't actually seen him.

James May used to write regularly for Car Magazine again, probably around 20 years ago. He was far and away miles better a journalist than Clarkson was. It really doesn't surprise me that he does a much more interesting spectrum of stuff for television now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

murpho999 wrote: »
    Can't stand that jongoistic sh1t.

Not sure how I feel about it myself. Can you use it in another sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭brevity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Two threads for clarkson.popular guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Wishing blindness on people is so edgy and funny.

But it was just a joke. Like on Top Gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Chris___ wrote: »
    I don't think Top Gear will last without Clarkson all will be forgiven.

Top Gear needs to be put out of its misery anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Lapin wrote: »
    The man is an inspiration to us all.

He speaks the truth and some people can't take it.

The BBC are gone far too soft in the head.

Lets hope he's back on our screens before too long.

He's a racist. Hope we never see him again on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Bloody get over it! Were so politically correct now that its laughable!

If he left he would be snapped up in a heartbeat by someone else and the BBC would lose millions! So what if he said this that and the other. There are more worrying things than Jeremy mouthing off.

Ever hear of freedom of speech? If you don't like that chap then don't watch him, simple really!

if you want a review on a ford fiesta use Google!

I love the show, it the highlight of my week after a hard week in work to put the feet up, chill out and watch the funniest s*1t that goes on...and the amazing cars too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Calina wrote: »
    Way back in the mists of time, Clarkson used to write some entertaining stuff for Performance Car. Have always felt that really, he was better when you didn't actually seen him.

James May used to write regularly for Car Magazine again, probably around 20 years ago. He was far and away miles better a journalist than Clarkson was. It really doesn't surprise me that he does a much more interesting spectrum of stuff for television now.

He's great there but I'd say he'd be made for 5th gear. Id hate to see the trio split though, just wouldn't be the same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He's great there but I'd say he'd be made for 5th gear. Id hate to see the trio split though, just wouldn't be the same..

He won't fit in to the current Fifth Gear line up or style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

He's a racist. Hope we never see him again on TV

Any evidence ? Other than people convincing themselves he muttered ****** during a nursery rhyme ?

He's unreservedly anti-politically correct. More power to him.

Advertisement