Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irritating American names for things

Comments

Wibbs wrote: »
    riclad wrote:
    I have never heard any Irish person say yard to mean a garden or space behind a house
    I certainly have and it was at least a quite Dublin thing. Folks inside the canals had yards, those outside tended to have gardens. :D Generally a yard was paved and smaller, a garden wasn't and larger.
    yeah, a yard definitely implies paving, or concrete, or at least, gravel. It is a place in the curtilage of a house where there is no grass or flowers, except as weeds.

A series of stables is always called "a yard", but the word applies to any space from a farmyard to a car-parking area that is built on. Am surprised that riclad has never heard it, I wouldn't have thought that was an Americanism at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

yeah, a yard definitely implies paving, or concrete, or at least, gravel. It is a place in the curtilage of a house where there is no grass or flowers, except as weeds.

A series of stables is always called "a yard", but the word applies to any space from a farmyard to a car-parking area that is built on. Am surprised that riclad has never heard it, I wouldn't have thought that was an Americanism at all.
    The americanism is the use of "yard" for what we would call a garden. To us, a yard is uncultivated; once you plant grass, flowers or trees then it's no longer a yard. But, to Americans, the area of ground attached to your house, used for growing flowers, for recreation, etc, is still a yard. Americans would only use "garden" for something like a kitchen-garden or vegetable-garden, or for a really spectacular formal garden, or for gardens open to the public (like the Botanic Garden, say).

(To American ears, when we call the bit out behind the house the "garden", that has a pretentious sound.)

^ True dat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

wandererz wrote: »
    Apologies, i realised i made a mistake:

i-rack
    i-rackee

i-ran
    i-ranee
    In the same manner, in the programme 'Community', Chevy Chase's character always referred to the other character Abed as 'AY-bed' as opposed to the way everyone else said his name (Ah-bed). :D Obviously they're all Americans (probably) but it's the sort of same thing.

Surprised no one has brought up the updated Oscar Wilde quote from the 2021 Edition of 'Quotes Gone Wilde' by Poolbeg Press: "Y'all bi*chez is weird. I mean, we s'pose to speak the same language like brothers, but y'all talk funny."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In the same manner, in the programme 'Community', Chevy Chase's character always referred to the other character Abed as 'AY-bed' as opposed to the way everyone else said his name (Ah-bed). :D Obviously they're all Americans (probably) but it's the sort of same thing.
    Americans do this a lot with non-Anglo names; MulCAYhy, for example, instead of Mulcahy. And, back before the name fell out of fashion for reason that I can't quite recall, AYdolf instead of Adolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

real estate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

NSAman wrote: »
    Any good and commonly used swear word.... Irish win hands down... the "C" word is like the nuclear option when used here in the States..;)

its a horrible word anywhere , i dont mind cursing but hate that word

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Celmullet

Irish Brogue for an Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    real estate

apartment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

E L E V A T O R

Elevator my bum, it's a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    its a horrible word anywhere , i dont mind cursing but hate that word

Unfortunately, its use here in the States causes shock and the intended outcome. No one uses it unless it is absolutely last resort.

With the current mindset of many females in the US, when used it absolutely has the desired effect.

Not that I would EVER use such fowl language... ohhh no no no no!!! (ahem)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Unfortunately, its use here in the States causes shock and the intended outcome. No one uses it unless it is absolutely last resort.

With the current mindset of many females in the US, when used it absolutely has the desired effect.

Chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

What is the desired effect, and how is it impacted by women's mindset?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My question related to your use of z in realize.
    Mr Webster made up his dictionaries phonetically as he thought fit. And even changed spellings in later ones.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

E L E V A T O R

Elevator my bum, it's a lift.
    Escalator vs moving staircase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

What is the desired effect, and how is it impacted by women's mindset?

Too many Karens in the US at the current time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

Surprised no one has brought up the updated Oscar Wilde quote from the 2021 Edition of 'Quotes Gone Wilde' by Poolbeg Press: "Y'all bi*chez is weird. I mean, we s'pose to speak the same language like brothers, but y'all talk funny."

Was it just me, or did anyone else imagine that in the voice of Bodie from The Wire ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Too many Karens in the US at the current time.

That answered neither of my questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Yo Mama

It's Yore Ma

YORE MAAAAA

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    Was it just me, or did anyone else imagine that in the voice of Bodie from The Wire ?

Never seen it.

OT, I think the publishing house has gone too far with this 'updated' Americanized rewriting of classic literary quotes. I would have thought an Irish audience would be well able to understand "England and America are two countries separated by the same language." But maybe not. Perhaps it's all gone too far at this stage. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Cilantro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Yo Mama

It's Yore Ma

YORE MAAAAA

For sure

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Bobblehats wrote: »
    For sure

DjanoooowhatImeeeeeennnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

DjanoooowhatImeeeeeennnnn

Yih

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Polling place

No, it's a Polling Station!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Polling place

Polling place is the building and polling station is the specific room (or part of a room) where voters cast their votes. A polling place can contain one or more polling stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Bae
    That word annoys me for some reason

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

branie2 wrote: »
    Car boot - trunk
    That makes sense mind you. Boot doesn't. Or at least it hasn't in a very long while. IIRC boot was a place on a horse drawn coach where the driver would keep his kit. Trunk comes from, well a trunk, that in the early days of cars was a separate entity fitted externally on a rack at the back. Of course these days with leccy cars we have "frunks", though some have tried to push for "froot" for this side of the water.

Bonnet is a bit fey. Hood has a bit more blood to it. Transmission is more technically descriptive than gearbox. I prefer bulkhead to firewall though and wings to fenders. Americans calling an engine a motor is a little grating if my OCD comes to the fore. Now a Tesla has a motor, but if it's something that's sucking in petroleum distillate it's an engine. And don't get me started on Gaaaas for petrol. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Polling place

O rly?

Advertisement