Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quit Drinking, Huge Depression

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m not trying to be argumentative. I’m trying to understand, and you’ve explained why up above. From the outside, the general population of casual drinkers probably have more than a few drinks at the weekend and don’t see it as a problem. That’s all.

A good friend of mine works in A&E she hasn't met an alcoholic yet, they're all just casual drinkers...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

How long do A Depressants take to kick in ? I got Serlan just today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

CoBo55 wrote: »
    A good friend of mine works in A&E she hasn't met an alcoholic yet, they're all just casual drinkers...

You can’t tar them all with the one brush. My basic point I’d that to the majority of people, IF they are being honest about their consumption, that a few drinks is not excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭screamer

Alcohol is a serotonin inhibitor. When you drink you feel good, but once the alcohol leaves the system, the depression is worse than before due to the effect on serotonin. I believe many people in Ireland suffer with depression that is either undiagnosed or untreated and alcohol is their self medication. I’d advise a visit to your GP to get those serotonin levels checked and see what else they could advise to help you kick the booze and not feel depressed. Good luck with it all, first step is always the hardest.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

Ish66 wrote: »
    How long do A Depressants take to kick in ? I got Serlan just today.

Approx 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Ok, so you’re telling me a few drinks at the weekend is alcoholism? I’m basing my understanding purely from the original posters post, nothing else. A few drinks yea?

I can only base it on my experience, I was a weekend drinker at one stage but was a gradual slide to the dark side 20 years later.If someone can manage the Weekend Drinks and keep it like that I don’t see a problem either.

If someone feels depressed when off the gatt or remorseful drinking then that’s a different ballgame.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

If you see something that you believe needs Moderator attention then report the post in the normal way, please don’t call for Mod action in the thread.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You can’t tar them all with the one brush. My basic point I’d that to the majority of people, IF they are being honest about their consumption, that a few drinks is not excessive.

Your blatantly missing the point, it's not the amount. It's not the booze you or anyone else sees, it's being left in your own head after you have one or two that is where the issue lies. Everyone is different though. Some people can stop without thinking about it, some people struggle and some people can't. The difference in what any of those three groups drink is not measurable. Three people who drink the exact same amount in one day could fit into any of those groups, I am not sure how this is hard to grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

CramCycle wrote: »
    Your blatantly missing the point, it's not the amount. It's not the booze you or anyone else sees, it's being left in your own head after you have one or two that is where the issue lies. Everyone is different though. Some people can stop without thinking about it, some people struggle and some people can't. The difference in what any of those three groups drink is not measurable. Three people who drink the exact same amount in one day could fit into any of those groups, I am not sure how this is hard to grasp.

I'm tired telling him at this stage... It brings back bad memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Ok, so you’re telling me a few drinks at the weekend is alcoholism? I’m basing my understanding purely from the original posters post, nothing else. A few drinks yea?
    Why argue semantics with such anger in this instance?

When i said i was giving up the drink to my doctor, they said "oh that is absolutely fantastic" with no other context about how much I drink, etc. He's a reasonably young lad as well, up for a bit of craic.

Giving it up for the time I did has been very insightful. It made me see my reliance on the routine of it and the cravings for it were off the chain whenever things were tough.

I had a few drinks last night (4 cans between about 9 and 11 just so there's no arguing about the quantity) and I realised that I wasn't enjoying it. I was doing it to be able to tolerate others. I left early and stopped early and I don't have a hangover and I'm glad of that. I have to see people later and I'll stay off it while I'm talking to them. I might have a whiskey afterwards to say well done, or maybe I'll forget.

I'm not going to drink until the next bank holiday, and even then I'm going to see how I feel about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Maybe "the few" you mention are causing a lot of problems in his life. It's a pet hate of mine when people seem to think the amount of alcohol being consumed (always lied about) is a gauge as to how much of an alcoholic the person is. If it's making the person or the people around them unhappy it's a problem.

That's very well put.

That's very well put.

True the old saying that alcohol worked fine until it stopped working.

Advertisement