Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pros and Cons of buying a Donkey

• 01-05-2021 9:19am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can you help me out with a Pros and Cons list for buying a donkey. What I have o far:

Pros
    I'll have a donkey
    The Tax Credits

Cons
    I'll need to buy a bigger bed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Get a wee donkey. Careful you don't end up with an ass. Much harder to get an ass in the passenger seat of a Ford cortina.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

He'll be smarter than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Difficult if living in apartment. Especially above ground floor as very stubborn when it comes to lifts or stairs. Also, they may exceed the weight rating of balcony.
    Once bitten, twice shy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Shoo in for the kids nativity play

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Can you help me out with a Pros and Cons list for buying a donkey. What I have o far:

Pros
    I'll have a donkey
    The Tax Credits

Cons
    I'll need to buy a bigger bed

It's hard to get into pubs with a donkey and even if you do, they probably won't serve the donkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's hard to get into pubs with a donkey and even if you do, they probably won't serve the donkey.

Of you give the Donkey a name like Ben, people will say "here comes Ben and the donkey'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,879 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You'd have pletny of hot girls coming up to you and asking if they can pet your ass....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,128 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Either way it’s a big decision, you should definitely mule it over for a while

Con:their noisy animals and roar at yous,if your coming in late at night drunk

Pro: they have a cross on their back,to aim for when landing on em via parachute

The donkey sanctuary in cork is worth a visit though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Any good pub will have a pole outside for tying up your donkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Akrasia wrote: »
    Either way it’s a big decision, you should definitely mule it over for a while

Maybe ask the neigh-bours?

Ah Jayses that’s only ass-king for trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

People refer to 3 legged donkeys as a “wonky”, but actually 3 legs is the most efficient and stable arrangement of legs, as per tripods and 3 legged stools. So be sure to get a 3 legged one if you have uneven ground and you don’t want it to wobble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Allinall

If you can source one without a tail, you can rent it out for kids parties.

It’ll pay for itself in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Donkeys don't neigh, they bray. So the OP will have to move to Wicklow.

I’m seeing a lot of pros here, all genuine, and very few cons. Go for it op.

I’m seeing alt of pros here, all genuine, and very few cons. Go for it op.

The only donkey Kong is that they tend to throw barrels at you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

He'll leave hoof prints on the lino.

Hee Haw Hee Haw Hee H'always does that.

I love donkeys.

To anyone reading this, if you have any money at all to spare, give it to the Donkey Sanctuary. Donkeys have particularly urgent foot-care needs, because they originate from hardened climates where their feet are naturally worn by their environment, but can over-grow on Irish soil.. The Irish Donkey Sanctuary go all around the country, tending to donkeys' feet.

To the OP, if you have half an acre of grass and the time and temperament for a donkey, you will be richly rewarded.

They are fantastic creatures. Very intelligent. Biblically modest, none of the haughty arrogance of horses. It should come as no surprise that Jesus Christ rode into Jerusalem on the back of the same animal that carried his pregnant mother into Bethlehem. Everybody's life is enriched by having a donkey in it. Nobody in human history has regretted befriending a donkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The only good donkey is the one that wins the Donkey Derby. The rest are all losers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Plus: we can all call around to your house for live action Buckaroo!

I'll start collecting mining equipment pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

those are saloons you are thinking of barkeep

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Can you help me out with a Pros and Cons list for buying a donkey.

The donkey market is way overheated at the moment. Would you not consider renting a donkey for the time being and see what the future brings?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,879 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Claerly, you've never been to Mayo...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Mad_maxx wrote: »

No there was one in Ballincollig. Had a thatched roof, red wooden windows and doors. Twas definitely a pub. The Auld Fox it was called. You could tell if your friends were inside because you recognised the donkeys. Fierce handy altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I love donkeys.

To anyone reading this, if you have any money at all to spare, give it to the Donkey Sanctuary.

Reminds me of this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

The best pubs will serve your donkey a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

the local idiot and a donkey walked into a bar and the bar man asked where did ya get him '' i won him in a raffel '' said the Donkey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Archeron

You'll finally have something good to do with all that lettuce you grew in your windowbox over lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Donkeys are social creatures . They bray a lot if they are alone , which is why the donkey sanctuary boards them out as pairs .
    They will need a field shelter that they can enter and exit as they wish .

You need to have a farrier who will give them the proper foot care as mentioned .
    I’d say you’d need at least a few acres , so that you can “ rest” paddocks as needed .

They are wonderful animals . When I win the Lotto , I will re-home a few pairs from the Donkey Sanctuary . At present I can just about pay to keep 1 horse .

Advertisement