Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ghosted after a few good dates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lots of bitter well past their prime single mothers complaining there are no good men, no real men, too many creeps, long checklists of what they think they should be getting in a partner, etc.

There is a lot of that but imagine the absolute gobsh*tes that are on the male side that we can't see?
    For the most part there are plenty of normal people on these things and if you keep at it for a while you'll probably meet people of a similar level of attractiveness and status as yourself, that is how it always worked me anyway.
    I wouldn't bother messaging these instagram model looking women because I can't see how either of us would have anything in common, but there must be male versions of these people too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

On the apps it's the opposite of what you say in the last paragraph. It's the women who are expecting George Clooney or Ryan Gosling to swipe on them. Lots of bitter well past their prime single mothers complaining there are no good men, no real men, too many creeps, long checklists of what they think they should be getting in a partner, etc.
    Well they don't seem like people who get dates easily. Or at least anything more than a shag n' go.

I think the trick is to not take it personally and don't get attached too quickly. Online dating is extremely fickle.

There is a lot of that but imagine the absolute gobsh*tes that are on the male side that we can't see?
    For the most part there are plenty of normal people on these things and if you keep at it for a while you'll probably meet people of a similar level of attractiveness and status as yourself, that is how it always worked me anyway.
    I wouldn't bother messaging these instagram model looking women because I can't see how either of us would have anything in common, but there must be male versions of these people too.

I have a female friend and she showed me the male side. The absolute state of some of the profiles, like. :D

Women on these sites are hard work. Chat away nicely for ages then ghost. Rinse and repeat.
    Chat away for ages, ask to meet up, she gets hesitant about covid and starts coming out with excuses. Next.
    Then so many are just a pain to converse with, they show no interest and expect me to entertain them via text.
    Maybe they are not "never happy" but it's hard to find one who is happy.

Much easier to get chatting to someone at a real life event whenever those will be allowed again.

Had one today who I've been chatting with a good while and wouldnt divulge her number because she claims to have had problems with that in the past. The app chat thing is a pain to use. Maybe there is some fawning lapdog of a fella who will chat to her endlessly on the app until she feels reassured enough to meet up but I couldn't be fcuking arsed.
    Sounds like they're not interested but want to be polite and not blunt (a "bitch") which is then construed as leading the guy on.

Kind of a can't win situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Any mention of Instagram on a profile is a red flag at this stage. I'd say there's a good few just trying to gain followers this way. Some lads are even stupid enough to create an Instagram and follow them I would say

I think the trick is to not take it personally and don't get attached too quickly. Online dating is extremely fickle.

This is a life lesson in general imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭raclle

I have a female friend and she showed me the male side. The absolute state of some of the profiles, like.
    Maybe I've been too biased all along :D but could you give us some examples? I've never seen or rarely heard about the male side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Sounds like they're not interested but want to be polite and not blunt (a "bitch") which is then construed as leading the guy on.

Kind of a can't win situation.

Either gender can be polite and just say they are not feeling it. It wouldn't bother me if, say, after a date or two the woman in question said face to face or over the phone they are not interested. It's early doors, so there's every chance that could happen. It's a getting to know you phase.

No grown adult should ghost another grown adult. It's not a good look. We're supposed to be grown adults here. For some women it's to avoid conflict like the above or potential aggressiveness, for some, often in the case of men as well, a simple lack of respect.

raclle wrote: »
    Maybe I've been too biased all along :D but could you give us some examples? I've never seen or rarely heard about the male side

Most of the photos were awful, like up-the-nose selfies, drunken pictures with "the boys", some sports picture that was clearly taken years ago. Very few if any photos just showing them wearing a nice shirt, smiling. Unreal. They just come across as really immature.

As for what they write in the bio, again it's trying too hard to be a "lad", as if they are worried their mates will see it, or maybe they don't understand what women want. Their interests match the photos, sports and nights out with the boiiiis.

I saw dozens of profiles like that, just carbon copies. The rare well done profiles really stand out from the crowd.

• Advertisement

Either gender can be polite and just say they are not feeling it. It wouldn't bother me if, say, after a date or two the woman in question said face to face or over the phone they are not interested. It's early doors, so there's every chance that could happen. It's a getting to know you phase.

No grown adult should ghost another grown adult. It's not a good look. We're supposed to be grown adults here. For some women it's to avoid conflict like the above or potential aggressiveness, for some, often in the case of men as well, a simple lack of respect.
    I don't mean the ghosting - that's obviously sh1t - but the being friendly and chatty and thus seemingly interested. That's not to lead on, it's just to be polite. It's the wrong way to do things yes, but it's not malicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

That's not true I'm just a rough diamond that's needs a little polishing, that's all.

Getting there is a load of "snowflake", picking sh1t up wrong, mind reading, assuming, and then you go off with the next lad showing abit of interest as the current one is to much work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

OP ,have you considered the French Foreign Legion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Women don't have all the power in online dating.

Good looking guy isn't gonna pick a plain woman.

No he isn't but the good looking woman isn't going to go for the short ugly man either.

The folks of either sex who hit the genetic jackpot will end up together.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I took a look at this thread earlier when it was just one page. I says to myself poor Johnny is so traumatised he will not be able to make any more contributions to his own thread. And so it has proved.

I took a look at this thread earlier when it was just one page. I says to myself poor Johnny is so traumatised he will not be able to make any more contributions to his own thread. And so it has proved.

It's after hours, ffs. He should have posted in relationship/personal issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Did you sniff her underpants or kiss her fanny?

No he isn't but the good looking woman isn't going to go for the short ugly man either
    Of course (although some would if he was loaded - I have no problem acknowledging that) but I was just arguing against the claim that women on dating apps have "all" the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

So, I recently matched with the one on tinder who was very cute, charming a funny. Within a few weeks we exchanged numbers and started chatting on WhatsApp. After a while we agreed to meet up in person and we clicked like a house on fire. We met the following week again and had a ball of time together. The following two weeks were Easter Sunday and the following Sunday I was tied the following Sunday helping a friend. We stayed in contact every day and night and shared messages and Snap chatting each other every day. Met her last Sunday and we had a brilliant time together. We chatted Sunday night when I got home and I fell asleep then. Monday morning I texted her and I got the following message back “ You're fine, sooo tired this morning getting up for work how's you? xx “ this is the last message I have got as I have been blocked on WhatsApp and on Snapchat. I’m still a match on tinder with her and friends on Instagram with her. I have reached out to her and asked her what is going on but I have been ghosted!!! To be honest I didn’t think she was like this and if she was to message me again later in life I would accept her back into my life.

How do people cope when someone ghosts you? To be honest I’m a nervous wreck, not sleeping properly, not eating much and can’t focus at work. I’m stressed out and I would love to hear from her is all

She's a fukwit. Get off Tinder. It's full of fuking posers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I cannot think of a better place for the OP to have posted. This is the only forum where people can respond freely instead of oozing faux Compassion.

I always think there's something particular going on when people see any compassion by others as something they are inclined to be skeptical about by default.

My guess is they lack it themselves so can't imagine anyone else would have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Johnnytractors

It sounds like she got back with an ex, or was seeing others at the same time and opted for one of them.

Don't let her back into your life if she makes contact later, it's very disrespectful not to send a text or call to let you know where you stand.

Thanks for your reply. That’s what I was thinking myself.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I feel for you OP but I think you just have to cut your losses on this one and be thankful that you discovered this behaviour at a later stage in the relationship and you could have a lot more at stake and also be more emotionally committed.

At the moment it hurts but that will ease and you can put it down to experience and learn from it.

I really don't think you should accept her back unless he has a really genuine reason for ignoring you which I doubt.

Thanks for being so sympathetic. I know what you are saying alright but I do think that everyone deserves a second chance, maybe I’m gone soft in my age I don’t know

FFVII wrote: »
    Yup. This.

She was writing to 5 and went with one of them but she'll still be writing to 5 still and youll see her on tinder "recently active" soon again.

They're all at the same thing.

Putting pandemic to one side. Theirs something wrong with the vast majority of people on tinder etc. Especially those into the late 30s.

Thanks for your reply. I have done it myself but I did think this one was different and special

Jequ0n wrote: »
    A few weeks of chatting before meeting up?
    I think the longer you wait to meet in person the lower your chances. Get in there early next time (literally)

Best of luck

Thanks for your reply. Three weeks we chatting as I had to isolate for two weeks for being in contact with a confirmed Covid case. I know what you mean tho

Why do this to yourself,
    There's literally nothing you can do about it so why worry about it ?
    If you see here just be nice and don't ask ,

Any number of things could have happened here's a short sections ,
    1, She got the ick ,
    2. She figured out she know an ex
    3. Someone told her something about you
    4, She seen you where still on tinder,
    5, She got another offer she couldn't refuse,

Happened to me once years ago much like yourself it seemed to be going really well , I played it cooled and never said anything i'm glad I did because we still bump into each other from time to time and are both nice to each other ,

I have never asked what happened nor will I cause whats the point ,She made up her mind for whatever reason so why would I want to convince someone to like me , You should take the same road ,

Thanks for your message. I know how you feel and I know what you mean. Thankfully we don’t live too close to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Thanks for your message. I know how you feel and I know what you mean. Thankfully we don’t live too close to each other

Get back out there and forget about her. And don’t consider anyone to be ‘special and different’ until a few months of dating have passed and a bit of commitment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Women on these sites are hard work. Chat away nicely for ages then ghost. Rinse and repeat.
    Chat away for ages, ask to meet up, she gets hesitant about covid and starts coming out with excuses. Next.
    Then so many are just a pain to converse with, they show no interest and expect me to entertain them via text.
    Maybe they are not "never happy" but it's hard to find one who is happy.

This.

There's the odd gem but the vast majority are summed up in the above. Timewasters looking for an ego boost.

If I get a one word message it's an instant unmatch. Bore off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Stop thinking about what she thinks or what she is even thinking. Think about yourself. Don't think anybody else is 'different or special'. Apply the logic that YOU are different and special and enjoy what comes after that for Your own self

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Thanks for being so sympathetic. I know what you are saying alright but I do think that everyone deserves a second chance, maybe I’m gone soft in my age I don’t know

No one who ignores you after weeks of daily contact, and several positive dates, deserves a second chance.

It's harder to put this into perspective when our lives are so restricted, but you deserve better than that.

• Advertisement

YellowLead wrote: »
    OP I have no idea why you would let her back into your life if she reached out in future!!!!

She’s an awful coward, a mean person. All she had to do was say - thanks for your time but I don’t see this going any further. Job done. Ghosting is so cowardly and disrespectful. However it’s super common so you have to be prepared.

As other have said this is all par for the course with online dating. Most people will be chatting with a few so as not to put their eggs in one basket. They click more with one and go with them.

So what you need to do is not get emotionally invested too soon, which sounds like what happened here. You should be a bit miffed at her, not totally thrown off kilter.

Chatting for ages before meeting is also a recipe for disaster as some people are prone to getting attached even from that (madness in my opinion) - one person sees it as a bit of fun, a way to pass the time, ego boosting, while the other (you) might see it as building intimacy.

Thick skin is needed with online dating when crap like this happens you just need to be able to roll with it and on to the next one. Otherwise online dating isn’t for you.

Thanks for your reply. I know what you mean alright but I do think everyone deserves a second chance if if they **** you around.

I was chatting to a few myself and I thought we clicked together hence why I went with this one then the others. I just told the others that I didn’t feel a spark there so sorry I won’t be taking this any further

Advertisement