Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coral Tour Championship - ITV4 20th-26th of June

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Wish Allen had won that last frame just to make things interested but Maguire deserved it. He's had a lot of luck over the past week but he's also been the best player overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

If ref didnt call it, then that's another thing. I didnt hear him call it, just assumed he did.

I’m pretty sure i heard the ref call a miss.
    You could see Maguire shake his head at the decision.
    I think Allen took on the pot because he thought it was a harsh call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

tanko wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure i heard the ref call a miss.
    You could see Maguire shake his head at the decision.
    I think Allen took on the pot because he thought it was a harsh call.

I didn't hear a miss call myself but Phil Yeates said Allen will regret not putting Maguire back in after he missed the yellow so the ref must have called it. You could be right in Allen overruling the harshness of the call and opting to play a shot as a result but sentiment shouldn't have come into it if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It'd be nice if the commentators would let us hear of the ref called it a miss or not - such a ridiculously bad time for them to give their input and talk over the ref. I rewound it a few times and it still wasn't clear.

I suspect it wasn't called a miss, because it would surely have been a no-brainer for Allen to put SM back in and rack up more foul points. Even if SM gets out of the snooker he will leave Allen another easy snooker or a much easier pot than the one he took on.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭fran38

Uncontrollable rage coursing through his angry body.[/QUOT

The comperes Alan Hughes and Rob Walker would introduce Maguire as "One of the nicest fellas on the tour" or words to that effect. I'd always wonder why coz I've met a few of the players down through the years and all were sound guys so why aren't they introduced like that? It's like they're almost giving a subliminal nod to Maguire by saying "Look, we know you're a **** so why not cop the **** on". I'd say he's a powder keg ready to go off on anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Just to clear confusion up, the miss was clearly called. Would have been a little odd if Allen hadnt at least queried it, which is why i was pretty sure it had been called. If it was an act of sportsmanship to play the pot then fair play i guess, but i doubt many in that position would have done the same. The pot is quite gettable but he's then leaving himself an even harder green, no percentage in it at all.

Anyway 20 minute mark in here, you can clearly hear the miss called.

https://youtu.be/0Arh8Spz-vY

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

It was a terrible decision to call a miss on that shot. That’s not what the miss rule was brought in for. Maguire made a genuine attempt to hit it and almost did.
    They really need to do something about that rule, it’s not being applied properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

tanko wrote: »
    It was a terrible decision to call a miss on that shot. That’s not what the miss rule was brought in for. Maguire made a genuine attempt to hit it and almost did.
    They really need to do something about that rule, it’s not being applied properly.

Certainly not in this case anyway, that was a seriously good effort and shouldn't have been called a miss.

Advertisement