Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forever Young Festival 10th to 12th July 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

corm500 wrote: »
    New additions:

Wang Chung
    Jason Donovan
    Paul Carrack
    Blamange
    OMD

That's more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭corm500

502636.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

I’m just wondering how the logistics work for this festival. Looking at last year for example, there were 12 acts on the Saturday, playing from 2pm to 11pm. Even without breaks that’s 45 minutes each. Factor in a 15 minute break between acts takes almost 3 hours out of the playing time.

So, how did it go last year? Was there sufficient time for acts to play? Was a final schedule with timings ever issued?

Thanks.

I’m just wondering how the logistics work for this festival. Looking at last year for example, there were 12 acts on the Saturday, playing from 2pm to 11pm. Even without breaks that’s 45 minutes each. Factor in a 15 minute break between acts takes almost 3 hours out of the playing time.

So, how did it go last year? Was there sufficient time for acts to play? Was a final schedule with timings ever issued?

Thanks.

Everything went smooth last year. They had the Dr From Dr & The Medics doing the compere duties in between acts and he was a great laugh. Hes back again this year. They had a houseband for quite a few of the solo artists so the changeover was fast between acts. Some of the artists would have a smaller catalogue of hits so they might only get three songs whilst others got 45 mins or more.

Everything went smooth last year. They had the Dr From Dr & The Medics doing the compere duties in between acts and he was a great laugh. Hes back again this year. They had a houseband for quite a few of the solo artists so the changeover was fast between acts. Some of the artists would have a smaller catalogue of hits so they might only get three songs whilst others got 45 mins or more.

Thanks very much, that helps a lot 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

That actually sounds pretty sweet

I see that they say no single use plastics and no glass allowed. As far as I understand it this seems to apply to the campsite as well. What experience did people have last year on this? Difficult to organise the alcohol if you can't bring wine bottles in, and I would assume cans are also frowned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Didn't see anybody's bags being searched on the way in last year. Also you were able to go back to the car park at any time (well, daylight hours anyway) so you didn't have to bring all your drink in at once. (we were camping and arrived on the Friday so others might have had a different experience)

You could bring in as many cans as you wanted, and some people brought in wine bottles no problem. I think they're more worried about beer bottles / broken glasses etc. So bring plastic glasses and take your empties home and everyone's happy. On a weight per volume basis, a box of beer bottles is a PITA at a festival anyway so go with cans.

That lineup is looking a lot better now, though still not as good as last year's imho, presumably from their position on the picture Pellow and Somerville are the closing acts Sat and Sun?

Life ain't always empty.

Didn't see anybody's bags being searched on the way in last year. Also you were able to go back to the car park at any time (well, daylight hours anyway) so you didn't have to bring all your drink in at once. (we were camping and arrived on the Friday so others might have had a different experience)

You could bring in as many cans as you wanted, and some people brought in wine bottles no problem. I think they're more worried about beer bottles / broken glasses etc. So bring plastic glasses and take your empties home and everyone's happy. On a weight per volume basis, a box of beer bottles is a PITA at a festival anyway so go with cans.

That lineup is looking a lot better now, though still not as good as last year's imho, presumably from their position on the picture Pellow and Somerville are the closing acts Sat and Sun?

Okay,thanks. I would have thought it almost impossible to police really.

Fish and Alphaville now added to lineup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Fish and Alphaville now added to lineup
    Oh Alphaville! They should have been obligatory!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

would this be doable by travelling up and down from Dublin by bus for each of the 3 days?
    really want to go as I've heard great things about last year, i'd have no problem camping but the OH wouldn't be too keen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Stillill42

ooter wrote: »
    would this be doable by travelling up and down from Dublin by bus for each of the 3 days?
    really want to go as I've heard great things about last year, i'd have no problem camping but the OH wouldn't be too keen.

Certainly. Much better bus service since recent changes. In and out every hour. Only takes 40 mins or so off peak. Last public bus 1ish I think, though I'm sure somebody will be running shuttles to the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Feets

Any idea if the VIP tickets are worth it or is it too small a venue to bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Has anyone seen the lineup of who is playing when? We only plan to attend one so want to see who is playing when to make a decision!

.... not sure if I am missing something but can see the acts but not when they are playing online 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

what2do wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the lineup of who is playing when? We only plan to attend one so want to see who is playing when to make a decision!

.... not sure if I am missing something but can see the acts but not when they are playing online 🙄

I think last year the daily schedule was released in the first week of March, so they'll probably do the same this year.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

I think last year the daily schedule was released in the first week of March, so they'll probably do the same this year.

Thanks !

what2do wrote: »

.... not sure if I am missing something but can see the acts but not when they are playing online ��

They have a video on their facebook page with a day by day breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Friday
    Marti Pellow, Paul Carrack, Alphaville, In Tua Nua, The Adventures
    Saturday
    Jimmy Somerville, Bananarama, Fish, John Parr, The Trevor Horn Band, The Undertones, Martin Kemp (DJ Set), Limahl, Nick Heyward, Johnny Hates Jazz, Wendy James, Five Star, Hot Chocolate
    Sunday
    OMD, Paul Young, The Boomtown Rats, Jason Donovan, Tiffany, Heather Small, Cutting Crew, Wang Chung, Altered Images, Bad Manners, Chesney Hawkes, Martin Kemp (DJ Set), The Blow Monkeys

The Doctor acting as MC every night.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

^ aw man, would love to see Fish but not in a field. Wonder will some promoter take a punt and stage a small low key Gig in the City (Dublin) the same weekend. Last time acoustic in Whelans was excellent

• Advertisement

RayCon wrote: »
    ^ aw man, would love to see Fish but not in a field. Wonder will some promoter take a punt and stage a small low key Gig in the City (Dublin) the same weekend. Last time acoustic in Whelans was excellent

It is his farewell tour as well. Probably the last time he will play these shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭gifted

Would love to go to this with herself and the 3 chicks but it's getting close to the €500 just for the Saturday only including parking and fuel from Galway, add in money for food and it's crazy money for one day.

Lots of good bands over two days like last year not enough on any one day to interest me- is Fergal Sharky back with the Undertones? I don’t think he is which would make this act a lot less desirable to see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

The Doctor was a great MC last year! Worth it just to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He made a comment about how we were the best audience in the British Isles, which didn't go down too well, he apologised later!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

They seem to be doing a virtual gig next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

It was last night. Brilliant it was too. I think they are letting people watch it during the week. Well worth it and for only €2 donation to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Tickets for this are too expensive.
    Would defo go for a day if the ticket was under 80

• Advertisement

New dates announced for Forever Young: 9th-11th July 2021

Advertisement