Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen + Adam Lambert : Marlay Park : July 8th 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Well that gig was just superb. May, Taylor and of course Lambert were simply outstanding. Even the Boomtown Rats, whom I wasn't expecting to enjoy, hit it out of the park.

I cried like a baby during the 'Love of my Life' segment and looking around, I wasn't the only one touched by that poignant tribute to the great Freddy.

One gig where I wished I could have rewound time and enjoyed it all over again as soon as it finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Someone recorded the entire show on their phone and uploaded it here https://www.adamlambertlive.org/live-queen-adam-lambert-dublin-ireland-7-8-18/

Full audio stream of the show here too http://mixlr.com/muffilepardskin/showreel/

I have to say Play The Game was the highlight for me, along with a very emotional The Show Must Go On. TSMGO is my all time favourite Queen song, and to see it performed so well live in the flesh was bone chilling. I felt the same for Play The Game. Seeing them play that one just brought back discovering Queen's great tunes for the first time as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I like Queen but wouldn't have been a "fan" and only bought the ticket late Saturday night to cross them off the bucket list.

I couldn't get over how amazing those songs sound when played in what appeared to be quadrophonic sound. Everything sounded so fresh and new and majestic.

It was so much more than the sum of its parts, bordering on eerie in a good way.

The sky opened, the Gods of rock spoke to us, and departed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I thought Brian May playing the beginning of Taste's Morning Sun, was a nice tribute to Rory Gallagher.

Brian May speaks about Taste on the Eagle Rock documentary about the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

Lads, I really loved the gig from start to finish.

I got desperate flashbacks of horrendous queuing issues queuing issues at the last Longitude I was at on the way in. (Think it took us well over an hour!) but was pleasantly surprised. No major queues. No teenagers necking back vodka falling all over the place at the entrance. All very relaxed.

Missed the Darkness as I was a bit late getting there, but was surprised at how good the Rats were. I've seen them at a few gigs over the years and was never overly impressed. Bob was on fire... crowd loved it.

Then the main event. I was blown away! Sang and danced my heart out with my pals from start to finish. (Sorry to those who had to put up with us!!) The sage set up, the lights and the sound were all right up there with the best I have ever seen.

Brian and Rodger seemed to really enjoy it. Adam Lambert was just the right amount of energetic and outrageous with perfect vocals but without trying to actually be Freddie. Got nostalgic and a bit of a tear in my eye for Love of my life and Under Pressure. And oh, what a response from the crowd for Bohemian Rhapsody!

Loved how much the crowd sang on the way out of Marlay, a reflection of how much they enjoyed the gig.

I've avoided going to see Queen, as I always thought there was no point without Freddie... I've clearly missed out! Hope they come back again soon or do a few festivals... Maybe Glasto 2019?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Any idea what alcohol was on sale inside marley?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

ssshhh123 wrote: »
    Any idea what alcohol was on sale inside marley?

Heineken
    Heineken 0.0%
    Orchard Thieves
    Desperados

think processco too . Pints were €6.00 each. Plenty of food places like Eddie Rocketts, Chic King, Ice cream etc

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Heineken
    Heineken 0.0%
    Orchard Thieves
    Desperados

think processco too . Pints were €6.00 each. Plenty of food places like Eddie Rocketts, Chic King, Ice cream etc

Thanks a mill. Ill let the misses know cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

Heineken
    Heineken 0.0%
    Orchard Thieves
    Desperados

the Prosecco was 7.50 a glass or a bottle for 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

whats every ones opinions on Adam Lambert as a solo artist ??

listening to his stuff on Spootify hes stuff is pretty catchy but very pop/engineered sound to it

is he really popular in the states, did he ever tour Europe solo ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

is he really popular in the states, did he ever tour Europe solo ???

A couple of years ago, but not our part of Europe, or so says the guys t-shirt that was beside me on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah have listened to a bit of his stuff since the gig. Just generic pop shiitee but catchy shiite

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Really enjoyed the gig. Thought it was excellent. Saw them in RDS in 84 and Slane but can I ask did anyone else think that the sound although decent was relatively low. Especially Brian’s guitar which I was hoping would have been quite raucous but was really just there.

Didn’t beat the sound quality of the Roger Waters gig in the 3 a couple of weeks ago whatever he does it sounds amazing. Best sound at a gig I’ve ever heard and I was right at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the gig. Thought it was excellent. Saw them in RDS in 84 and Slane but can I ask did anyone else think that the sound although decent was relatively low. Especially Brian’s guitar which I was hoping would have been quite raucous but was really just there.

Didn’t beat the sound quality of the Roger Waters gig in the 3 a couple of weeks ago whatever he does it sounds amazing. Best sound at a gig I’ve ever heard and I was right at the back.

You're comparing an indoor arena where the sound will bounce around off the walls to a big outdoor gig where the sound will just carry. Sounded perfect to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

Marlay is in a highly residential area, so they can't blast the sound out as they would in a indoor arena, though I didn't notice anything bad about the sound myself, heard everything perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭ Kash High Indigo

Indoors will always be better than outdoors.

Having said that, thought the sound was perfect on Sunday. Maybe not as loud as they usually are but, sound restrictions etc come into play

I thought the sound in Marlay was dead on. I was also at Roger Waters.

I think Queen were using a quadraphonic sound system same as Roger Waters. The whole atmosphere and sense of place goes up at any gig using that set up. ACDC used it in Punchestown 2009 one of the greatest gigs ever seen here.

I could hear every line Adam Lambert sung and every note Brian May played. Any louder and distortion would have killed the multi channel effect they were going for.

What a gig, I can't stop thinking about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I wonder if this is the road Linkin Park will go down, I don't follow Queen but it wouldn't have been good if they let the music die with Mercury.

I wonder if this is the road Linkin Park will go down, I don't follow Queen but it wouldn't have been good if they let the music die with Mercury.

I think they will and also Audioslave/Soundgarden when that 90s grunge rock sound eventually resurfaces. The timing has to be right.

Paul Rodgers and George Michael all sang Queen songs post Freddie perfectly fine, but from a nostalgic and retroactively respectful perspective to Freddie.

Adam Lambert on the other hand tore into them as if they were his own and dressed as if he'd walked off the set of Flash Gordon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

I think they will and also Audioslave/Soundgarden when that 90s grunge rock sound eventually resurfaces. The timing has to be right.

Paul Rodgers and George Michael all sang Queen songs post Freddie perfectly fine, but from a nostalgic and retroactively respectful perspective to Freddie.

Adam Lambert on the other hand tore into them as if they were his own and dressed as if he'd walked off the set of Flash Gordon.

To be honest, of all of them, I always found their stuff with Paul Rodgers hard to listen to. Hearing him sing The Show Must Go On was like forks on a plate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Just to pick you up on this, after the gig I fell down the YouTube rabbit hole and watched loads of interviews with Q&AL and Adam said that before beginning to rehearse for the tours, he asked Brian and Roger to record the music of each of the songs again, he got the music book (don't know the proper name!) and went off and rehearsed the songs himself, without listening to the Freddie vocals or watching videos back.

I was so impressed by this approach as it just goes to show how respectful he is of Freddie's legacy, he didn't want to imitate him, but rather perform the songs in his own way. He genuinely is a huge Queen fan also, so I'd say he is pinching himself every day that he got the gig.

Genuinely had one of the best nights of my life at Marlay Park and selfishly hope they come back to Ireland again soon. Absolutely astounding performances from all of them and I am still on a high.

Would anyone who was at the gig and had a paper ticket be willing to part with it?! I bought my ticket too late to get it posted out so it was on my phone but I'd love a traditional paper ticket to keep. Thanks!

Btw, if anyone here is going to Vegas, I'm insanely jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Would anyone who was at the gig and had a paper ticket be willing to part with it?! I bought my ticket too late to get it posted out so it was on my phone but I'd love a traditional paper ticket to keep. Thanks!

Btw, if anyone here is going to Vegas, I'm insanely jealous!

I have a spare one I can part with,still with the stub and foil unbroken.

I have a spare one I can part with,still with the stub and foil unbroken.

Oh that would be amazing, thank you. Can I DM you?

Oh that would be amazing, thank you. Can I DM you?

No problem

@Shybride

That will be in the post today for you

Clinton

@Shybride

That will be in the post today for you

Clinton

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!!

No problem,it hit the post office just before lunch

No problem,it hit the post office just before lunch

Got it, thanks so so much again, I'm delighted!

• Advertisement

Queen related
    Tribute band Dolans Limerick end of October

https://www.dolans.ie/gigs-events-live-music-listings/2018/10/26/qween

Advertisement