Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good easy to use recording program, one I'm familiar with no longer works

• 29-08-2017 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭armaghbhoy

I used cool edit pro 2.0 years ago but it no longer works and has changed to adobe audition which charges a monthly fee. I have looked into audacity and I hadn't a clue what to do with it. Also had a look at pro tools which is quite expensive. What does everyone else use? and what is the quality like?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

I use Logic X, Harrison MixBus and Nuendo. Harrison is cheap and cool if you're not using MIDI. You'll need an audio interface, even a Behringer will do (unless you're recording albums for people, that is)

Logic is good if you're integrating MIDI and audio. Also, if you mix in surround. The plug ins can be a bit pants – I strictly use 3rd party plug-ins when I'm using Logic. It has EuCon for Euphonix/AVID controllers – you can also use Mackie HUI

Harrison is like a big awesome console from the 70s or 80s. If you like the sound of large format consoles – Harrison is your man – the EQs and compressors are very good and the summing busses give a low-down funky sound that reminds one of a lot of cool records. It's a big American studio sound with a high-end pedigree. It has MIDI, but it's primitive. It claims to have Mackie HUI, but I've never been able to get it going.

Nuendo is posh Cubase – if you know Cubase, you can use Nuendo. I like it for the no-nonsense routing, the clean and direct signal path and the surround capabilities. It has EuCon and Mackie HUI. It sounds good and more direct than Logic.

Some people use Reaper – it's free to try indefinitely and it's a very good digital audio workstation (DAW). Reaper peeps swear by it, and a lot of them are accomplished mix people – I just haven't got around to fully checking it out yet.

If you like mixing up beats and loops, performing on the fly and doing live stuff – then Ableton is your (wo)man. Friends of mine do amazing things with Ableton and it is enhanced with its own controller. Ableton have succeeded where others have failed – with the possible exception of Native Instruments: they have some pretty good live stuff (if a little biased towards the DJs of this world)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Have a look at this list - https://thehomerecordings.com/free-daw/

A lot of the bigger names have free versions available that have reduced features / limitations. Depending on what you are using it for the free version might be sufficient for your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭ Brett Rotten Rover

depends on your ability - if you are a noodler and just messing around
    id go with an app / something simple to use as ST HAS LINKED ABOVE

but , if you wish to open pandoras box ...
    most DAWS need a bit of time and focus to get to learn , and are not intuitive to the unexperienced
    most have good you tube support though

reaper is the easiest all rounder to learn on
    but does not have any instruments like keys or drums

logic would be a better allrounder for that

pro tools is pro tools, you either need it or you dont -
    ive just started learning it after years of mixing on reaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭ Brett Rotten Rover

by the way in terms of quality - thats all down to you
    software and hardware are all good these days

you can make a high quality full record with cheap gear , as long as you know what you are doing

monitoring and room treatment / headphones
    mic placement

then some skills make a big difference to quality - not the gear or software.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 musicmadness99

I currently use Ableton Live. I started with Ableton Live Lite as it is a free DAW and it worked really well. My friend uses Cakewalk and loves it. It's entirely free and if you watch a couple of Youtube videos, it will be very easy to figure out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

I find Cakewalk by Bandlab pretty good.

Advertisement