Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

another great transition into streets ... .

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Not in the same league to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I miss those long intros to The Streets

My favourite one would be the Zoo TV lead in from Running to Stand Still,its well over 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Streets is one of the best live tracks around, that transtion from All I want is you is epic

For the i&e tour it was zooropa with an EU speech by bono leading into it

Of course it kicked off the JT set and we had the fly over in Croke Park

God can't wait for u2 to play live again

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

As euphoric a build up live as any dance track you'll ever hear. amazing live song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

TomSweeney wrote: »
    In tears here listening to that transition .... ****ing amazing .... wow wow wow wow !!!!!!

I love it !

3 wows just isn't enough - spine tingling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I'll throw in A Mother and Child Reunion leading into Streets on I&e... The lads sure know what they are doing with that one!

It actually became an exciting transition on that tour as they used it for One and Bad aswell!

https://www.facebook.com/5678046685/posts/10158775492816686/

can't get into the buzz of this remastered waffle that bands bring out

I've dissapointedly heard pretty much all of the songs on this reissue years ago with the exception of remixes which I'm none too keen on.

I think they could have included a live concert that hadn't been released before, it would have helped. ATYCLB is a truly great album tho, so any late comers or new fans to U2 should love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I've dissapointedly heard pretty much all of the songs on this reissue years ago with the exception of remixes which I'm none too keen on.

I think they could have included a live concert that hadn't been released before, it would have helped. ATYCLB is a truly great album tho, so any late comers or new fans to U2 should love it.

I have The Joshua Tree 20th Anniversary Box Set from 2007 and The Unforgettable Fire 25th Anniversary Box Set from 2009. Love them both. I was living in Australia and backpacking etc the time the 20th Anniversary Box Set of Achtung Baby came out and I never got around to buying it when I had the chance. Maybe there will be something for the 30th anniversary next year. The box set seemed very big though, and as a result, expensive. I liked the medium sized nature of the 2 I have mentioned above, but it doesn't seem like they do them in that style anymore.

I'll probably get the ATYCLB one, as it's the first album by any artist I ever got, so the album has a special place in my heart. This was the time when I discovered U2. I'll get the CD box set though. The vinyl box set has the exact same material for double the price, and besides, I prefer to keep my vinyl collection neat, with just pure studio albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭dasdog

I'm not a huge fan of U2 but Zoo TV was amazing - competing with Nirvana and early techno in 1993 - and when they were still creative. This gig in the RDS, which was far better than Slane or any of the four shows I've seen since was amazing stuff. I have respect and they can turn on the magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/5678046685/posts/10158775492816686/

can't get into the buzz of this remastered waffle that bands bring out

I do love this version of Stuck, but heard it back when they released it on that US only "7" CD, around the same time as the album release. I'm not sure but it might have been free, or really cheap. Target had it, it had all the B sides. Always was on it too, great throwaway song.

Bono speaking/ranting/arselicking yesterday, I really wish he would stick to music instead of his pontification.

https://twitter.com/bethandbono/status/1305083768974258177

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭fafy

This is by far the laziest reissue the band have ever made.

The cardinal sin, was ripping the audio from the Boston gigs, which was widely released on DVD nearly 20 years ago, i am quite sure they recorded everything on that Elevation tour, and we get a rehash.
    Apart from the multiple remixes of Elevation & Beautiful day, which carry little, if any value, everything has been easily available for many years, on singles b-sides, the Complete U2 itunes collection, the soundtrack to The Million Dollar Hotel, or the previously mentioned Target “7” ep.

Its totally lazy, unimaginative, and a cash in. They are not even trying here.

The far superior Achtung Baby delux cd had early versions and demos of many tracks, that alone has value.

This package has nothing at all to tempt me, and a roughly €200 price tag on the 11 vinyl version, is beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

dasdog wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of U2 but Zoo TV was amazing - competing with Nirvana and early techno in 1993 - and when they were still creative. This gig in the RDS, which was far better than Slane or any of the four shows I've seen since was amazing stuff. I have respect and they can turn on the magic.

I was at one of those shows in August 1993. Was kinda into U2 at the time. So the quality of the show was kinda lost on me. I really enjoyed it, but if I was proper into U2, would have relished it.
    Check out this setlist from one of those gigs. Unreal.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/u2/1993/rds-arena-dublin-ireland-53d6fb3d.html

I see that the Experience + Innocence DVD has been kept as an exclusive gift for U2.com members only. This is very disappointing. Was looking forward to getting this DVD and putting it with the rest of the collection (Red Rocks all the way through to I+E Live from Paris). Do people think they will eventually put this on general sale? Seems odd not to.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I see that the Experience + Innocence DVD has been kept as an exclusive gift for U2.com members only. This is very disappointing. Was looking forward to getting this DVD and putting it with the rest of the collection (Red Rocks all the way through to I+E Live from Paris). Do people think they will eventually put this on general sale? Seems odd not to.

Where does it say it won’t be released ?
    I would think it will be released, but a version with more content, interviews, other tracks from the tour etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Not really bothered as it is only a DVD. A bluray would be ok, but it's 2020 - It should really be a UHD Bluray. Given the level of tech usually associated with U2, it really is shocking that they are releasing it only in a 90's tech format..

fafy wrote: »
    Where does it say it won’t be released ?
    I would think it will be released, but a version with more content, interviews, other tracks from the tour etc.

Seems odd it hasn't been released yet. The tour finished almost 2 years ago now!

I'll deff buy it if it comes out and the band could make a few $$$ if they release it for the Christmas market

Don't really want to join the fan club again esp if there's no tour on the horizon

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Seems odd it hasn't been released yet. The tour finished almost 2 years ago now!

Fair enough,
    they have the unreleased Anton Corbijn JT south american tour film as well, which has not been released yet, but a lot of these types of films, are initially destined for release on streaming services and/or tv release, both i &e and e & i tours were both released, in an edited format on TV, but i’d say they will get released at some stage, in a physical format.

fafy wrote: »
    This is by far the laziest reissue the band have ever made.

The cardinal sin, was ripping the audio from the Boston gigs, which was widely released on DVD nearly 20 years ago, i am quite sure they recorded everything on that Elevation tour, and we get a rehash.
    Apart from the multiple remixes of Elevation & Beautiful day, which carry little, if any value, everything has been easily available for many years, on singles b-sides, the Complete U2 itunes collection, the soundtrack to The Million Dollar Hotel, or the previously mentioned Target “7” ep.

Its totally lazy, unimaginative, and a cash in. They are not even trying here.

The far superior Achtung Baby delux cd had early versions and demos of many tracks, that alone has value.

This package has nothing at all to tempt me, and a roughly €200 price tag on the 11 vinyl version, is beyond a joke.

Have I remembered incorrectly that Bono once said that this concert in Boston wasn't going there way and only halfway through they got going. I know Edge and Larry had wee blow out at the end of Gone... Why I'm still not exactly sure. I think Edge wanted Larry to end the song earlier... Pretty sweet guitar to get flung accross the stage!

I thought the gig was great for the record, amazing versions of Bad, New York a and The Fly just to name a few. I agree tho I'd be a lot more excited if they released something new and not a gig which has been available on DVD for nearly 20 years!

Songs of Ascent lads, let's have it! ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Near enough to the weekend for this one....Turn it up loud captain..Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah.. New Multi-Cam from Croke Park

Will we ever see the pro shot recording they done for the tour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Nothing , will EVER EVER beat that .....

Goosebumps just watching it, and a rush just listening to the raw emotion in Bonos voice... *Dust in my eye.....

One of those pure magnificent, moments in time when a band drives a song to unreachable levels of perfection. Imagine being there live with the 80,000 ...

That will never be beaten. By no band/Artist , no one.

(IMO the only thing that comes halfway close is Springsteen singing The River at Glastonbury in 2009)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Great transition, the one on Zoo TV was phenomenal too , wish they would go back to that long version of Streets instead of the truncated version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I came across that U2 video about a month ago. Think it was youtube. It's unbelievable. Have watched it about 50 times in the month.

Bonos father had died a week or 2 beforehand. Makes it more emotional. It's the best transition from one song to the next that I have ever heard. From minute 4.46 in the video when Bono sounds like he is releasing all the grief and then the intro to Streets comes in, to mid 6 minute mark is just perfection. I was so close to getting a ticket for that concert. Queued from 2 o'clock am in the middle of the night at a record store. Maybe there was no online system back then. I can't remember. An nice orderly queue all night. But when the doors were opened at 8am, there was mayhem, everything piled to the front. And not one security person. I was disgusted.

Anyway, that' an amazing clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Someone threw a pint at him 😒

I was at both of those gigs. Those songs were defo the highlights of both alright. Although I was at the first night where they did Bad - Streets.

Bruce at Glasto was the flattest Bruce gig Ive seen from the well over a dozen Ive been at. Middle of the gig was ropey. Skimmed on the hits.

Still think my favourite U2 moment was Bono taking on Pavarotti's bit of Miss Sarajevo in the Stadio Olympico. Loudest crowd reaction Ive ever heard anywhere ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I agree. this was the most special moment of a most special gig. luckyto have seen u2 over 20 times and everytime I tell someone I'm going I get the usual " I wouldn't cross the road to see them" . their loss .....one less person to compete with tickets for . amazing band amazing records but live really is where they live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

U2 snobs ?

Fcuk em ....

The very first album i was given as a 12 yr old was "Under a blood red sky " ...

I wore that cassette out- Still have it though....

Hard to believe they were in their early 20s recording that ! And the confidence on stage ! Swagger ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Advertisement