Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone do no exercise?

• 19-11-2019 10:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I'm in my 20s and never do exercise or any sport apart from walking to college and to bus stop. I suppose I'm of an average BMI (165 cm, 70kg) and never felt the need to, even in secondary school, I hated PE. Tried tennis once but gave up.

I've been told this is unhealthy and it'll catch up with me when I'm in my late 40s but i'm not obese so no problem right?

Comments

You seem to be expending much of your energy on boards...an exercise in futility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Are you for real? Do you really have all these things bubbling around?

Get off boards, do some exercise, do some studying, meet people...

It's all doable and less waring on the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Do whatever makes you happy op. You can live a few years longer with exercise. Maybe a few more quality years but at the end of your life it probably won’t have mattered how long you lived. Chances are the world will be the same whether you die at 68 or 75.
    It’s nobodies business really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Where'd the bloke go with the two posts ?
    Mods get him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mods get him ?

Yep. It was obviously heading that way,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Exercise is a great mood booster.

Sometimes you think, ah I'm wrecked, can't be arsed, but once you do the exercise, you are in much better form and mindset.

You just need to find the exercise that works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Mods get him ?

He's into exercise. Gone running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,204 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Yeah me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Well as long as you're not a complete couch potato.

The generations before us mainly laboured when working, so that was their excercise.

If you don't get the heart rate up in some way, shape or form, you'll increase your risk of getting every disease known to man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

What do you prefer: Submarines or Helicopters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

.fitness_funny.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭dmc17

I'm in my 20s and never do exercise or any sport apart from walking to college and to bus stop. I suppose I'm of an average BMI (165 cm, 70kg) and never felt the need to, even in secondary school, I hated PE. Tried tennis once but gave up.

I've been told this is unhealthy and it'll catch up with me when I'm in my late 40s but i'm not obese so no problem right?

Nah, that's nonsense.....It'll catch up with you once you hit 30 and it's all downhill from there! Seriously though, exercise isn't just for your physical health. It's also good for your mental well being, even if it's just getting out for a good long walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Anyone do no exercise?

Is this a question or an instruction?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

165cm so I assume you are a girl?

I personally have insane metabolism and the problem is keeping weight on not trying to take it off. I will be 43 in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭misterme123

You start some strange threads, OP. I like them! I have gone long periods without any strenuous exercise but I have always had to walk to go places. Obesity is more about diet than exercise, but a walk and some fresh air everyday is great for your mental health (among many other benefits).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I do not don't do exercise, not 2 days a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

Does pulling the plums off myself count?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

2pacshakur wrote: »
    Does pulling the plums off myself count?

Sounds like you're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,768 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Definitely unhealthy for you physically, but extremely unhealthy for you mentally, get that heart rate up, you ll feel better! Exercise is not only beneficial to your physical well being, but it's critical for your mental well being

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

You walk to college and the bus which is probably more exercise than most. A lot of professionals waltk two yards to their car sit at a desk all day and home to sit on the couch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Maybe your walk to college is short, i dont know, but if its 30 mins or so you are actually surprisingly getting about the recommended daily exercise. Its shocking how little exercise people need to be 'healthy' and ward off many of associated diseases, people think youve to be in a gym killing yourself multiple times a week. All it is really is 30 mins walking, maybe gym once or twice a week to get sweaty and work your muscles. So even less excuse that we have so many obese and unhealthy people in our society. As another poster said above, youre already way ahead of most western people by simply walking to school and the bus stop, most dont even do that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The most unhealthy person my age that I know is thin. All her health problems are brought on by herself. Her diet consists mainly of sweets, coke, porridge and apples. Amongst other things, she has given herself stomach ulcers and despite doctor recommendations, is still drinking fizzy drinks every day. She had a baby last year and spent 1/3 of the pregnancy in hospital. Baby is grand, thankfully.

But she's not obese so no problem, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Not ever sweating is like not crapping or not weeing.
    It is a key way to excrete bad stuff that shouldn't be in your body.
    There is no requirement to suffer; just break a sweat at least once or twice a week either lifting or jogging or stair-climbing (and have a shower afterwards).
    It is a mood management issue if nothing else. Blood, sweat, endocrine, lymph, digestive juices - all these things must flow to maintain health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭dadad231

Do exercise OP, my Dad did no exercise his whole life and drank way too much, he is 70 now and his heart is ****ed.

my brother and myself saw this and kept active, I walk a lot and play tennis.
    Find a sport OP - you mentioned tennis but gave it up, give it another go, you don't need to be good you can just run about and swat at the ball..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Your body needs exercise. It doesn't matter if you don't think it does, it does. You can only get away with it if you have a decent diet and discipline to go with it. Otherwise be prepared to put on weight and other health problems that will go with it.

The solution will always be the same. Live a healthier lifestyle which includes getting frequent exercise. It's a necessary evil unfortunately, the key is about making it fun and making it something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Can you just leave him on, no?

Why do you have to be so holier than thou.

Get over yourself. He's causing no harm and guess what you can do, just leave the thread.

Depends really on DNA, diet, and your body type. I'm in my 40'a now, and close to perfect health. I'm tall and naturally slim. I don't exercise at all except for walking the recommended amount per day. I'm also standing or walking around my classrooms each day. I get regular health examinations and I continually come out without any problems. I'm also a smoker. No doubt someone will chip in about my being on a clock (as if everyone isn't aware of those risks :rolleyes:)... but you'll find nobody these days is safe from cancer. My life is extremely stress free and I believe that is one of the reasons for my continued health, along with good DNA.

The one area the lack of exercise will affect you is strength and muscle mass. It'll deteriorate over time without exercise. I'm far weaker than I was in my 30's and it's something I'm paying more attention to now.

I've gone through bouts of exercise but never found this enjoyment others talk about. It always stays a bit of a chore, and something I put on the long finger. Still, I would recommend some degree of exercise to keep your body toned.. My 30s stomach left me because I tend to fast often, but most guys don't fast at all. That stomach is rather ugly side effect of aging.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

Why don't you lay off the young lad, what's it to you?

Maybe Mr Fegelien is tired of your anecdotes about your retirement but you don't see him insulting you.

Get off your high horse, this is a discussion forum, the guy can post what he wants, you don't have to participate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

you should take up boxing OP,

great for the cardio and you get to punch people in the head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭granturismo

Why don't you lay off the young lad, what's it to you?

Maybe Mr Fegelien is tired of your anecdotes about your retirement but you don't see him insulting you.

Get off your high horse, this is a discussion forum, the guy can post what he wants, you don't have to participate.

I think you've misunderstood the concept of a discussion forum.

Advertisement