Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-11-2019, 14:42   #16
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSI View Post
Yeah, very convenient that there happened to be 2 people in the centre that knew him, knew he had diabetes, knew the Job Centre had declared him fit to work, but didn't notice him sitting their dying in the chair and weren't able to identify him to the press don't you think?
Most media outlets in UK are reporting he was declared fit for work earlier in the year despite being unwell maybe they're all lying in a giant conspiracy to promote dole scrounging. There are thousands of cases in the UK of critically or even terminally ill people being declared fit for work anyone in favour of adopting that policy here is quite frankly evil.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 14:45   #17

If The Liberal (hilarious name, given the agenda of the right-winger who runs it) told me the sky was blue, I'd look out the window to double check.
19-11-2019, 14:52   #18
OSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
Most media outlets in UK are reporting he was declared fit for work earlier in the year despite being unwell maybe they're all lying in a giant conspiracy to promote dole scrounging. There are thousands of cases in the UK of critically or even terminally ill people being declared fit for work anyone in favour of adopting that policy here is quite frankly evil.
They're all basing that off third hand info, which as I said purports to come from somehow who knew him pretty intimately but somehow didn't notice he was dying and didn't provide a name.

Quote:
'I didn't know him myself, but the man who was sat next to me told me that he had grown up with the guy.

'The man next to me told me that the poorly guy had diabetes and had been declared fit for work by the job centre earlier in the year but he was obviously ill.
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 14:52   #19
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiek102010 View Post
https://theliberal.ie/man-dies-insid...-for-work/amp/

Over the last few years UK have been increasing the retirement age. It is currently 65 years 6 months and due to increase again on 1st Jan.

The poor man died just after he was declared fit to work.

He's not the first and won't be the last. This is the system our current government are keen to bring in here.
what's your point?
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 14:53   #20
electro~bitch

Published by: Fernando Sanchez

I'd treat theliberal.ie the same as Boris Johnson and them, it's more effective to just start from the assumption they're lying until proved otherwise.

The welfare situation in the UK seems to have become incredibly bleak under Tory austerity but still, not believing one fcuking word from that source.
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 15:04   #21
topper75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshman View Post
You're right, Irish govt. nearly always follows the initiatives brought in in the UK.
If the Brits just had the decency to let us paint the postboxes green we needn't have bothered with that whole 1916 business at all.
19-11-2019, 15:07   #22
badabing106

It's in all the British papers anyway

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/arti...assessment-ban
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 15:09   #23
BattleCorp

Thousands of people with diabetes are fit for work here in Ireland. Once it is controlled, I don't see the problem.

This is a load of me bollix story.
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 15:12   #24
jimgoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCorp View Post
Thousands of people with diabetes are fit for work here in Ireland. Once it is controlled, I don't see the problem.

This is a load of me bollix story.
Quite. Mate of mine is Type II, considerably overweight, and drives a digger every day. Come to think of it, those may be related...
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 15:15   #25
Ray Palmer

Well some of it is absolute nonsense and also not unique to the UK.
We have practically the identical system here. The staff do not say if a person is fit to work a doctor does. The give a full assessment of a person's abilities such as ability to walk, pick up things, mental awareness etc.. then there is an education assessment. So if you spent your life as a brick layer and now can't lift anything they don't say the person is fit to work in an office doing admin work. They will say the person isn't fit for work at 64 due to retirement age.

You can be deemed fit for work and still die of an illness. It is not the same as a clean bill of health
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 15:23   #26
I see sheep

By some of the comments here you'd think people living in Ireland really want a system like the scumbag Tories are running over here, universal credit has been an absolute disaster.
19-11-2019, 15:34   #27
Ray Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I see sheep View Post
By some of the comments here you'd think people living in Ireland really want a system like the scumbag Tories are running over here, universal credit has been an absolute disaster.
We basically run the exact same system of assessment and have done for over decade which is just a modification of the prior system. Earlier systems were basically just a physical assessment and didn't use a doctor. They would ask you to pick up a potatoe from a standing position and other simple physical tests.

There was a program a few years ago where modern social welfare recipients were assessed using the old standard. One woman claimed she was unable to work was assesd by the old standard and deemed fit to work. The sent her to a job where she met an old class mate that lost her hand working there. She moaned that the job wasn't worth it because it was so little extra than payments it didn't make sense to commute and work there. Her old class mate was obviously disgusted at the attitude given the women claimed disability without any major issue while she only had one hand.
19-11-2019, 15:44   #28
corner of hells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Palmer View Post
We basically run the exact same system of assessment and have done for over decade which is just a modification of the prior system. Earlier systems were basically just a physical assessment and didn't use a doctor. They would ask you to pick up a potatoe from a standing position and other simple physical tests.

There was a program a few years ago where modern social welfare recipients were assessed using the old standard. One woman claimed she was unable to work was assesd by the old standard and deemed fit to work. The sent her to a job where she met an old class mate that lost her hand working there. She moaned that the job wasn't worth it because it was so little extra than payments it didn't make sense to commute and work there. Her old class mate was obviously disgusted at the attitude given the women claimed disability without any major issue while she only had one hand.
Wait , what ?
She tried to pick up a potato with one hand ?
19-11-2019, 16:02   #29
Raconteuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by I see sheep View Post
By some of the comments here you'd think people living in Ireland really want a system like the scumbag Tories are running over here
Calling out an article for being sensationalist bullsh1t doesn't mean that whatsoever.
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 16:08   #30
Steer55

The poverty in the UK is horrendous, their.Universal Social benefits has been nothing short of a complete disaster. Hope Jeremy.wins.next election....
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion