Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"OK Boomer"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yeah way off. I'm 40 and I'm at the tail end of generation X. Boomers are way older.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Please make it all go away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Idiotic to use it in an Irish context as it makes no sense and just serves to show that people are influenced by American culture to the extent where they just repeat nonsensical phrases that they don't fully understand.

I say that as a millenial but it's always the same dopes in your friend groups who go along with this nonsense.
    The ones who aren't able to understand the nuances to situations so they need a catch phrase put on it so that don't need to think.

Que - some goon coming on to say "Ok Boomer" as they aren't able to dispute the above point.
    Wtf is a goon? Perfect example post of why it's fine to use Ok Boomer in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭Cordell

Raconteuse wrote: »
    And we repaid them with cynicism and "whatEVER!" :D

Well, I'm working my arse off for my kids and I expect the same payment :) This is the way of the world, moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm still not sure what 'woke' means , but not really interested in finding out either. I'm guessing it's a word to describe an overly sensitive @sshole.
    I love the bit in Brooklyn 99 where the black, gay police captain talks about when he came out in the 80s.
    Captain Holt: I must say, this is going considerably better than when I came out to my colleagues. They were not, as the kids say, awake.
    Jake: Do you mean 'woke'?
    Captain Holt: I did mean 'woke'. But it's grammatically incoherent.

A good, dacent, everyday grammar nazi. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Wtf is a goon? Perfect example post of why it's fine to use Ok Boomer in Ireland

No its not.
    We didn't have a baby boom in Ireland - it makes no sense to use it as it's a phrase attached to people born in a specific country (not Ireland) at a specific time.

Goon is a phrase used across the English language (spoken in Ireland) so it's free to use. If I had said Yankee goon, American goon or something similar then you may have a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What year was the biggest baby boom in Ireland? A few decades before the famine?
    Our boombers are in the ground for some time now....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Ireland's 'boomers' equivalent will be those conceived during the big snow in 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

tuxy wrote: »
    What year was the biggest baby boom in Ireland? A few decades before the famine?
    Our boombers are in the ground for some time now....

The only baby Boom I'm familiar with was the 1991 baby boom, Italia 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Do people in Ireland really identify themselves with generational labels created by American marketing firms? Generation X, Generation Z, Millenials. It’s nonsense.

That a dismissive, ageist term has been adopted by a generation supposedly supportive of diversity, equality and inclusion, which rejects even gender labeling is interesting.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Do people in Ireland really identify themselves with generational labels created by American marketing firms? Generation X, Generation Z, Millenials. It’s nonsense.

That a dismissive, ageist term has been adopted by a generation supposedly supportive of diversity, equality and inclusion, which rejects even gender labeling is interesting.

Don't you just love hypocrisy.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Ireland's 'boomers' equivalent will be those conceived during the big snow in 2018.

They must be close to a year old now - the whingey pr*cks.

Never did a days work in their lives and most of them have everything handed to them

Irish people love this but not as much as they love terms like loony left and alt-right.

They see things happen on TV or videos online and then apply it to what's happening in Ireland if they see even the tiniest of similarities.

No its not.
    We didn't have a baby boom in Ireland - it makes no sense to use it as it's a phrase attached to people born in a specific country (not Ireland) at a specific time.

Goon is a phrase used across the English language (spoken in Ireland) so it's free to use. If I had said Yankee goon, American goon or something similar then you may have a point
    It's an insult or dismissive phrase, it doesn't have to make total sense. The point is it gets to the people who think it applies to them, who have no problem labelling others.

No one said goon in Ireland in the last 50 years, you imported it from the Americans same as youre complaining about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm still not sure what 'woke' means. I'm guessing it's a word to describe an overly sensitive @sshole.

100% correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

For a generation (Millenials) that purports about letting people live without labels we suuuure are obsessed with labels.

I'll be the first to say I think something is wrong with my generation. We really are lazy sods in alot of regards and always like playing the blame game. You'd swear every generation didn't have their challenges to overcome.

Millenials blame alot of extenuating factors except themselves. While doing nothing in their life to try and improve themselves and "expecting" something to just happen without putting the work in.

We have an overall victim complex and I feel this "Boomer" stuff is in line with that. That Boomers messed up our planet. They are to blame for the housing crisis. They made the world what it is today. How can we possibly get ahead with the state of things?

So you know how can they say anything with their ignorant opinions etc.

The world is what it is. Get on with it. Or is laying on your bed for 3 hours on your phone after you get in the door from work going to help you get on in life?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

It's an insult or dismissive phrase, it doesn't have to make total sense. The point is it gets to the people who think it applies to them, who have no problem labelling others.

No one said goon in Ireland in the last 50 years, you imported it from the Americans same as youre complaining about now.

So if someone thinks it’s stupid that must mean they think it applies to them?

Popeye cartoons played on RTE for years, Goon was the name of mindless characters in the programme I certainly remember hearing the word used in school and elsewhere and I'm under 50.

When speaking - you should be trying your best to make sense.

You're just backing up my point that people are using a phrase that they don't understand to attempt to insult someone when the insult doesn't apply to them.

Its doubly stupid, its stupid squared

They are the most intolerant generation of them all.

• Advertisement

So if someone thinks it’s stupid that must mean they think it applies to them?

If you just think it's stupid in a detached way, then it's obviously not getting to you, if it makes you rant about millennials then..

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Boomers are disliked because they caused a global financial crisis, paid next to nothing to buy their homes yet seem to think they had a tough time of it, and heavily criticise everyone younger than them for their failings without any sense of irony.

Most people on this site are gen x not boomers.

Boomers tend to be the parents of millenials so there's a natural tension there.

In a fight to the death, I'll be backing the millenials.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Boomers are disliked because they caused a global financial crisis, paid next to nothing to buy their homes yet seem to think they had a tough time of it, and heavily criticise everyone younger than them for their failings without any sense of irony.

Boomers tend to be the parents of millenials so there's a natural tension there.

But will millenials not want to do the fight over social media and use their words to kill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Boomers are parents of generation X surely (well mostly).

Who's the "they" that caused a global financial crash? Not exactly nuanced!

People who say no boomers had a tough time of it are having a laugh.

All in the States though, yeah? As we didn't have a baby boom here.
    Also I presume you mean some of said Boomers in the US as a lot of them probably also had a sh*t time of it - the amount living below the poverty line there is ludicrous.

That's an accurate description for the U.S.
    But was there a baby boom in Ireland after the emergency?
    Perhaps there was, I don't have the numbers.

When speaking - you should be trying your best to make sense.

You're just backing up my point that people are using a phrase that they don't understand to attempt to insult someone when the insult doesn't apply to them.

Its doubly stupid, its stupid squared
    It's not my fault you don't understand it idiot.. now does idiot here apply to you, have you an IQ between 0-25? No you don't but it's still an insult and I'll probably get carded for it. The vast majority of insults are not understood or apply to their target, they point is the effect they have

Boomers are disliked because they caused a global financial crisis, paid next to nothing to buy their homes
    No, they didn't. The banks (the generation before the boomers) and irresponsible borrowers (gen x) did it. They payed nothing for their homes you say, so they can't be blamed for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

tuxy wrote: »
    That's an accurate description for the U.S.
    Not really though - it's just bandwagon thinking. So many boomers had to fight in Vietnam. If you were born in the late 40s in the US you could easily have lived in appalling poverty.

Black folks of that age still knew segregation into their teens..

"I'd back millennials" - so stupid. Overall, millennials have of course had a better life. And their lack of awareness of that just proves the point.

• Advertisement

It's not my fault you don't understand it idiot.. now does idiot here apply to you, have you an IQ between 0-25? No you don't but it's still an insult and I'll probably get carded for it. The vast majority of insults are not understood or apply to their target, they point is the effect they have

So you are unable to get your point across nor can you grasp the fairly clear arguments being made against you so you are just going to resort to calling me an idiot?

If you're wondering why you or some of our generation are so angry as people dont listen to them - it's because of how you've played this exact conversation.

No point, no logic and then a sulky rant to finish it off - the problem may not be others....

Advertisement