Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-07-2019, 23:58   #16
Say my name

I've seen posts on Twitter where the problem is just that. Farmers (in the U.K.) getting municipal compost only to find it full of shredded plastic.
And they were the ones who gave a damn to post about it. There's also the one's who just don't care and go ahead and landspread this for the benefit of cheap fertilizer.

Closer to home I myself ordered a load of woodchip for animal bedding off an add on an online site. The seller persuaded me to get a load of "recycled" woodchip on the phone. They turned up in the dark with their load and tipped up. The next morning on inspection it was full of chopped plastic, glass and plastic covered wire as well as chipboard, plywood chopped up.
Well I wasn't having this rubbish being used for animal bedding and then landspread after. Cheque was cancelled and phone call made and they had to pick it back up. The sad thing is he remarked that it was quite popular for bedding livestock. I couldn't believe how people could be so stupid and careless to ruin their soil that they themselves could be eating from. What chance have future generations got with these imbeciles about..

Even these so called biodegradable plastics contain PFAS which harm your health and your animals health when they enter the soil and into the foodweb.
Advertisement
20-07-2019, 01:53   #17
Ubbquittious

I think plastic is so cheap for companies to buy that it's value is actually negative. They must be getting paid money to take the raw material off the oil producer's hands.

So you see companies coming up with ever new creative ways of hiding more plastic into the things people are buying
20-07-2019, 02:11   #18
Blaizes

We’re even ingesting plastic now, it’s been found in humans. It’s beyond a joke.
(2) thanks from:
20-07-2019, 03:12   #19
gozunda

There are the remains of an old estate house near here. The house is gone since the sixties and the once grand gardens are long since returned back to agriculture. Afaik the site has been in continuous habitation for at least 600 years. First as a tower house, then an Elizabethan manor and finally as an mid Victorian pile. The farm yards are still in existence. The peculiar thing is that the detrius of all those centuries of occupation are still very much evident in the soil. Old bottles, bits of china, metal etc. I have came across broken bits of potery from the the late 1700s to the 1800s just poking up out of the soil.. and all this in addition to the fact that the soil is almost black from the constant addition of organic matter over hundreds of years.

Now go to any old house - even modest ones and in the days before refuse disposal - rubbish was buried or discarded in garden middens or wherever. This could include just about anything including old glass bottles, bones, nails, delph, bits of tile, you name it. Human and animal waste was also land spread. Bits of machinery got buried or were left to rot where they were abandoned.

Go further back into medieval times and archaeological sites are a wealth of abandoned detritus and human waste which archaeologists have a field day over.

Go back further and even stone age humans and neantherals dropped the things they used in everyday life in the very places where they lived.

Our modern habits only differ in the huge amounts of waste collected centrally and disposed in landfills and the materials now being included such as plastics and the separation of human waste which now is dealt with as sewage. Otherwise we continue to do what humans have been doing for an awfully long time.

And no that is not an excuse of this behaviour. Just that we appear to have changed very little as a species over time.

Last edited by gozunda; 20-07-2019 at 18:09.
20-07-2019, 07:01   #20
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzelly View Post
Plastic the marvelous invention (really only been in widespread use 50-70 years?) and the bane of the future (and now as is seen in the seas)
We did not have plastic in my childhood. Washing up bowls etc were enamel.
Advertisement
20-07-2019, 07:20   #21
Makikomi

Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivlo View Post
Why do we need stickers on our apples?
Instructions on how to eat them, duh!.
20-07-2019, 11:23   #22
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problem Of Motivation View Post
As in what gets in there that shouldn't go in there. The other day I was taking some compost out of the bottom of the garden compost bin to fertilize some plants. I noticed lots of little bits of tiny plastic particles when I looked closer. There were also items such as tea bags, and things like the twine around carrots.

One interesting thing I noticed is that those stickers you get on apples don't seem to degrade at all. A lot of them seem to be made of just paper, but for some reason they don't degrade. I also noticed some larger items that should not have gotten in there at all... like a dish cloth.

And that's our own family compost bin, which I would believe would nearly always used properly. Public compost bins must be little different from bins for regular waste. Whatever about regular recycling, it's impossible to separate all this out. What's actually done with all this compost? It would be terrible to think it's just spread on the land.

The way I see it, is that the only advantage of having compost bins is that it has an indirect effect on reducing the size of landfills. Other than that, is there any real point in them? Maybe people should be made undergo a brief training course on how to use them!
Tea bags are compostable.
20-07-2019, 11:42   #23
suicide_circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
Tea bags are compostable.
yes but they take an extraordinary amount of time to actually break down. they are still visible in a compost heap for 6 months or more
20-07-2019, 11:44   #24
suicide_circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwiiing View Post
Had the misfourtune of working in the composting area of a recycling centre at 1 point in my life.

All the brown bins get delivered to 1 shed where it's all piled up for a few days to ferment. Then into an 80 degree oven for 5-6 days to break down the vast amount of plastic in the heap. At least 20-30% of what goes into brown bins is non organic material like plastic, metal,glass and rubber.

Out of the oven into a spinning drum to screen out the big bits of plastic and the like and then into another drying oven for another 5-6 days before being loaded into a trailer and sent off to wherever it's processed into bags.

From experience I'd say ~5% of compost bag contents is small bits of plastic.
what kind of a depraved degenerate psychopath puts plastic in the brown bin?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-07-2019, 11:46   #25
Problem Of Motivation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
delph
What's that? I didn't get much when I looked it up!
20-07-2019, 11:46   #26
blergh

About 5% of my compost is fruit flies.
(2) thanks from:
20-07-2019, 11:48   #27
suicide_circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problem Of Motivation View Post
What's that? I didn't get much when I looked it up!
Delft. a kind of pottery which takes its name from a town in Holland.
20-07-2019, 11:51   #28
Problem Of Motivation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post
A bloody huge amount.

I once fell out with a flat mate when I pointed out what he did was wrong. The next day I overheard him giving out stink about me to the other house mate. He said I was acting as if the house was mine!
(2) thanks from:
20-07-2019, 12:07   #29
tara73

Quote:

haha, psychopaths...bit harsh. but I don't get it either if you're that caring to seperate rubbish and have an extra bin for organic waste in the kitchen, why then throw it in the brown bin with a plastic bag?? Brains go into shut down when throwing out the waste or what...??.
Thanks from:
20-07-2019, 12:16   #30
gozunda

Quote:
Delft. a kind of pottery which takes its name from a town in Holland.
Also spelled delph and delf.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/the-...e-use-1.302287

Here delph is an old name for a type of china. So anything from plates, dishes, cups etc. A term once commonly used ie delph upon the shelf of the kitchen dresser would have been a normal sight in older houses.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion