Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battlefield 4 Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dcully wrote: »
    Im just getting old.
    If you ever watch Pyro playing Quake3, you'll feel old!
    Jonny7 wrote: »
    Very good news that it runs on that set up

But a 4870..?

You can pick up a 6870 for 60 euros second hand these days, will be twice as fast
    Hope to spend 200 blips on a new card shortly, so it'll do until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Give it time, it'll be sorted out.

Every single time a beta comes out players start hyperventilating that everything is broken and the world is ending.. it'll be grand I'm sure

Jonny, but I dont remember the BF3 beta having the controls as wierd as this... i am happy enough with everything else, just the blasted movement of the player!!

Must say I am worried, this is the only game I play and the reason why I am buying a PS4... ARGH!

This guy sums it up... is this just a console problem?

domSlayah

US Enlisted: 2012-01-16
    2013-10-03 03:05 Quote
    With the amount of time I played BF4 Beta, it didn't feel like Battlefield. I know it's just a beta, so I am only criticizing the Beta. In terms of vehicles and everything, it's awesome. However, there are so glaring flaws with the infantry controls and feeling.

1. Mobility. I don't know why or how they managed to make the game so restrictive, clunky, and somewhat unresponsive, but they did. The light jog then sprint is a really awesome idea and it works. However, the movement and sprinting itself is trash. It feels like MoH: Warfighter. The whole time I played, it didn't feel like Battlefield to me. There was just something about it that made it feel very unnatural and clunky. This linear, sprinting STRAIGHT forward sucks. Bring back the diagonal sprinting used in BF3 because the movement in BF3 was near perfect.

2. Gunplay. The minute I started to aim and use the guns, it immediately felt different. Again, to compare it, it felt like Medal of Honor and to an extent, CoD... Pistol aiming now is almost identical to Warfighter. In fact, the game felt very ARCADY. Whereas BF3 had a very realistic feeling with the guns, the BF4 guns feel very arcady. Not to mention the aim assist buff on console. WHY? Again, the aim assist in BF3 was very good. It wasn't too restrictive where it snapped to every little thing the game could sense but it wasn't loose to the point where it was nonexistent. In the BF4 beta, the aim assist is MUCH larger. I hate to be making the comparisons but it felt like the aim assist in CoD to a lesser extent, but it still felt like it. It looks like DICE REALLY played toward the CoD crowd a lot more because I can see some of similarities used in gameplay. I don't like it.

It's really quite hard to explain the disconnect... Even though it looks like BF3 on steroids, it plays like a COMPLETELY different game. I REALLY, REALLY hope some of these things will be addressed by launch. I'm not going to lie, this really detracted from my experience. Now I know everything isn't about me, but these are some of the issues I found to be pretty significant. I'm sure someone else shares similar thoughts..

My original post on BF3 beta.

BF4 is ****e compared... worrying.

Don't see the controls being fixed... might have to join a gym or something as BF4 isn't so appealing... :(

mozattack

Adverts | Friends
    PS3 player here

Well guys, now that the Beta is closed I am wondering what ye all thought of the game thus far? I have a long post on my initial impressions somewhere else here so I am not going to bore you solid (once again) with such a long one.

In summary I think it is an amazing game, I played over 15-16 hours on Metro and still not bored. I've unlocked the UMP which helped and am loving the SVD or MOD11 with the Holographic sight, quickly started kicking ass with that kit.

I LOVE the mobile spawn point, it is a pity the plebs you end up with don't understand it. This means I am recon more than I would like but it essential to have a M.S.P. otherwise you will spawn on teammates and give away their position (fair annoying)

Whether you play stealthy or all action gunning the game delivers... ended up playing a lot better towards the end cos I was crap at first.

One gripe is that the UMP is on all kits so I reckon that will be used to death cos it is basically an animal of a gun. Another is that I can't get the handle of the earlier Assault Class guns (unlocked M416 but only played if for 2 mins) as they seem to have serious kickback.

The suppression sound feature is brilliant and I LOVE the tactical lights.

Overall 9.5/10 for me irrespective of bugs and debate over graphics.
    mozattack is online now Report Post

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'm really trying hard to not read too much into it as it is a beta, but yeah, there is somewhat a worry from myself that BF3 -> BF4 will end up like COD4 -> MW2 or Black Ops 1 -> Black Ops II.

All they needed to do was just tinker with certain aspects that weren't poorly executed, better balancing of weapons, up the player count for next gen consoles and obviously upgrade the graphics. People can call it BF3.5 or whatever they so wish, but that's the crux of it for me.

I'll give the beta another bash over the next few days though, so far I've only played a handful of game and that was a couple of days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Whats this field score deal? Feel like Im missing out on some swag or something

Also (on PC) is anybody else getting some serious lag? I tried adjusting the setting down but nothing seems to be helping.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Also (on PC) is anybody else getting some serious lag? I tried adjusting the setting down but nothing seems to be helping.

Any ideas?

If you're on an nVidia card you'll need to use the latest *beta* drivers.
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-331-40-beta-drivers-released

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Whats this field score deal? Feel like Im missing out on some swag or something
    I think it's to do with how well you play as a team. If you do lots of stuff to help your squad (revives, healing, ammo drops, killing the guy shooting them, cooperating in vehicles etc) your field upgrade score increases. If you die or go lone wolf, it starts to drop. If your score gets too low you lose the defensive or offensive bonuses you get from being a team player.

Or something like that.

Nice one gents!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Zyox wrote: »
    If you're on an nVidia card you'll need to use the latest *beta* drivers.
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-331-40-beta-drivers-released

A lot of people haven't seen much of an improvement using the beta drivers, I went back to the "320" and havent had too many issues thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Burgo wrote: »
    A lot of people haven't seen much of an improvement using the beta drivers, I went back to the "320" and havent had too many issues thus far.

Think it can be very card dependent. I'm on a GTX 670 and every 10secs was getting serious frame drop. These drivers fixed it for me perfectly. Hopefully helps a few people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

The auto-aim buff is pretty crazy alright, can't see the full game having that much assistance.

Unlocked the ACW-R last night, its awesome :D

What do people think of battlepacks?
    I was surprised about how many unlocks are tied to them and I'm guessing EA will sell them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

M26 mass is lethal especially around C if it's still standing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I agree with the idea of BF3.25. It's hard to judge a final game from a beta, but this has really dulled any excitement I had. Having loved BF3 (plus its beta) and played over 100 hours.

I could easily wait a year for a bungle deal on BF4 now (all DLC + game for the same price as the launch game).

grizzly wrote: »
    I could easily wait a year for a bungle deal on BF4 now (all DLC + game for the same price as the launch game).

I had this very thought last night, was looking for the best deal and there was no way Im paying that kinda money for it.

Played again last night;

- seriously don't like it

<> movement is kack
    <> aiming is odd and out of tune with movement and sensitivity settings
    <> it is too arcadey and seems very childish

These are issues I don't see being fixed so I won't mention the wierd graphics, poor hit detection when shot at, pop-up or any of that as that is purely BETA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Anyone any idea when the free beta is available on origin today?

kevovek wrote: »

Don't bother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

kevovek wrote: »

should be up now supposed to unlock at 9AM iirc

• Advertisement

its back up now

ignore mozattack. Kind of glad he hates bf4, maybe he'll go away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

:D

strill having the odd frame dive problem, but I am beginning to like the map more and more.

Unlocked the carbine and am suffering fits of delight feeling like the spec ops from battlefield 2. The Ak 5C is a excellent gun. Probably the one I've blown through so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Oh I hate how the tanks handle. Don't like the feeling of the vehicles in general. The buttons are mostly mapped the same way they are in CoD which doesn't suit this type of game imo. Does anyone know if there is a way to remap the buttons?

Other than that poor hit detection. Very bad suppression effect too. I can never see on the map where the vehicles spawn maybe thats just me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Downloaded the xbox 360 version to see what its like and OMFG that is one fugly mother humper of a game.
    I didnt expect much on ancient hardware but jaysus its shockingly bad.
    The lowest of the low settings and lowest resolution on PC looks 10 times better.
    Its not worth or fair even mentioning a decent PC, thank God i have one after played that just now :)
    Dont get me wrong,its very playable and the locked 30 fps isnt too bad with the slowness of a pad,gameplay is intact which is the most important aspect of any game imo.
    Im crap beyond belief with a pad but i managed to go 13-4 in that round :eek:
    My son is a fecking wizard on the pad and hes rocking it up as i type.
    Considering the ancient hardware overall it seems a decent shooter,its amazing 8+ year old machines even run the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

My game will only install to 40% on pc and then refuses to do anything else other then go back to offer for me to install it again . It just keeps looping like this since 3 hours ago . Anybody got any advice . I have taken all the Direct X cabs and placed them in a new folder . I already have installed Microsoft Visal C++ 2012 64 Bit and swapped in a newer version as advised on the forums .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Is it just one test server or are there many?

Is it just one test server or are there many?
    UK, Germany, NL... so yeah, many.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Yeah there are quite a few.

• Advertisement

Well, holy sh|t! Since the ATI driver beta patch, when I play, the GPU temp stays below 70 degrees celsius! Before, it'd spike at 81 degrees, and CTD.

Advertisement