Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battlefield 4 Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ Kinley Delicious Kneecap

"BF3"? :P

not my video, found it on the BF4 forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Does anyone else have an issue with the health / damage versus that in BF3 and BC2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

I've played a few rounds now, but have to say im not really impressed with the game.
    its giving me the impression on a cheap bf3 copy.

I know its in beta, but at the end of the day, that only means one month before release, and the core of the game is not impressive. and thats the part that cant be changed at this point.
    (not counting any bugs I've run into, couldnt give a **** about those, they mostly get fixed eventually.)

comparing to my experiences with the bf3 beta, I was hooked on bf3 from the beta onwards, Loved playing it.

bf4 on the other hand, played it and was happy enough to put it down and not be bothered with it.

the controls feel like **** really. and the graphics seem to be what they were trying in bf3(something I didnt like) just throwing as much crap onto the screen possible with sun glare, explosions, and general clutter, but they seem to have tried to go an extreme this time around.

I actually dont know if ill even buy it, one of the biggest issues I have is dlc, which annoyed me bf3 enough, and is just more of another nail in the coffin with 4. maybe they'll get it right next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Man this beta has so many problems :P
    I know, I know it's a beta (But lets be honest, it's really a demo aswell as the game comes out in a month)

I am playing on the xbox 360 and most of the time textures dont load in - So it's this massive grey looking city :P It's not exactly blowing me away to make me buy the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I am not overly impressed with it either TBH, I really could take it or leave it which says it all really. But with BF3 I was chomping at the bit to play it.....

• Advertisement

I still cant get over how little damage notification there is. Like even RE: sound. In BF3 and BFBC2 when you were being shot you heard and felt it. I literally didnt know I was being hurt in certain games earlier. Controls im not too fussed over. It just takes getting used to. Texxtures etc the same. Game is over a month out and I'm not even getting it for Ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bf3.25

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Bf3.25

BF3 -11

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Timmyctc wrote: »
    BF3 -11

Button presses make it .25

woooooo button presses.......

hated the alpha, its a glorified poor mans attempt at trying to CODify Battlefield. Sadly everything about the game is based on user feedback. Hence Metro somehow making it back into the game.

hated the alpha, its a glorified poor mans attempt at trying to CODify Battlefield. Sadly everything about the game is based on user feedback. Hence Metro somehow making it back into the game.

I actually quite like Metro. If this is based on feedback the entire world is retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Just got my refund back for the game, took only 2 days to reach my account, I'm happy with that :)

They are really good to deal with, way better than most customer service people I have dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

poor mans attempt at codifying an ea release was medal of honor.
    they then tried to improve on that with bf3, which was the worse game in the world.

I remember pre ordering MOH and then playing the beta, utterly terrible, cancelled the pre order, and I was glad too, cos bf3 came out and it was the same game just different skins pretty much.

now this game has taken two years to re introduce bf3 with commander mode.

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    poor mans attempt at codifying an ea release was medal of honor.
    they then tried to improve on that with bf3, which was the worse game in the world.

I remember pre ordering MOH and then playing the beta, utterly terrible, cancelled the pre order, and I was glad too, cos bf3 came out and it was the same game just different skins pretty much.

now this game has taken two years to re introduce bf3 with commander mode.

BF3 was a fantastic game. It was nothing Like MoH and was probably one of the best shooters for the current gen. I just don't know where to start with you..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When installing Radeon 13.10 Beta Drivers [support.amd.com], I got an error "Application Install: install package failure!" which I fixed by installing Service Pack 1 for Windows 7, uninstalled all "Microsoft Visual C++" installs, and only installed the latest x86 and the latest x64 distros, and the driver then installed :)

I got the error about needing a higher graphics driver version, but it installed anyhoos. It made a BIG difference for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

It's turning out to be a bit of a let down really.

Firstly, the controls are muck, why do they have to change something that were pretty bang on, or at least give you a BF3 control option. This thing of holding R2 (PS3) and selecting what you want to say, pointless!!!

Secondly, the deployment of ammo kits, what the hell?!!! You have to keep throwing them out every second, one throw does one lad, and that doesn't even fill his rounds.

Thirdly, why bother playing as Recon, except for the C4, I was able to snipe lads way off in the distance with an assault rifle. Joke.

Aw there's a heap of other stuff that i really hope they sort out. It's a million miles away from the BF3 Beta that i loved and still love BF3. Might look for my pre-order money back and stick with BF3.

So... big difference between when I installed the game to my SSD, and installed the beta graphics driver.

Before;

After;

2.83GHz Q9550, 8GB ram, 1GB 4870, Corsair SSD

Installed the BF4 Beta it onto my SSD, and installed the ATI 13.10 Beta driver. Big difference. Everything is on low, but it handled a lot better, even with FRAPs running.

=-=

On the top of the "C" tower, there's a sniper rifle. If you switch to anther weapon whilst you have this, you'll automatically drop said gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hallo dare wrote: »
    It's turning out to be a bit of a let down really.

Firstly, the controls are muck, why do they have to change something that were pretty bang on, or at least give you a BF3 control option. This thing of holding R2 (PS3) and selecting what you want to say, pointless!!!

you can set the controls mostly back to where they were in options, the only thing that cant be reset is the spotting button due to the button now being used for battlelog
    Secondly, the deployment of ammo kits, what the hell?!!! You have to keep throwing them out every second, one throw does one lad, and that doesn't even fill his rounds.

ammo and medic kits now come in two variants. the small ammo/med pack which gives 1 magazine of ammo to your primary weapon or heals one soldier. And the classic deployable ammo pack which needs to be unlocked. Only the second pack rearms explosives and grenades.

My only issue with this is the game has not shown any incentive for a player to choose the smaller pack over the larger one so its just a matter of grinding and no tactical benefit.
    Thirdly, why bother playing as Recon, except for the C4, I was able to snipe lads way off in the distance with an assault rifle. Joke.

The PDT allows players using RPGS to lock on target tanks/helicopters (like javalin soflam from bf3 but quicker) including being able to take down choppers without any missile incoming alarm. The recon running carbine will give BF2 players tingles as its very close to the spec ops class from then.
    Aw there's a heap of other stuff that i really hope they sort out. It's a million miles away from the BF3 Beta that i loved and still love BF3. Might look for my pre-order money back and stick with BF3.

There is some incredibly odd rose tinted glasses for the bf3 beta.

Purely on stability the BF4 beta is leaps and bounds ahead of bf3 beta, but aside from that there have been no downright game breaking glitches (remember falling through the map?) or massive balance issues.

People have also seem to have forgotten the massive difference between the bf3 beta and the full release.

And I'm not talking bugs or glitches, I'm talking simple fundamentals like weapon handling. In the beta the assault rifles and machine guns were lethal to an almost one shot one kill standard, when the full game hit these weapons had been toned back massively.

I mean there were threads here during the bf3 beta saying that the beta was the biggest blunder DICE could commit as it had as many claimed *put them off* BF3.

thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74852333

the list of things people hated about bf3 beta (battlelog, scope glint, flashlights, metro design)

greatly outweighs anything I have seen brought up here or in the official forums so far in relation to BF4's design.

Anyone else having problems assigning numpad keys to the chopper? May check how my X52 flies the chopper over the weekend...

Hiya Blitz,

Yeah, i tried the changing of the buttons yesterday. I prefer what i have at min with L3 as the crouch, but it's not user friendly having to move your thumb of the control stick to do a knife kill with "O", just seemed alot easier when hitting R2. But maybe it just takes getting used to.

Glad to hear the ammo pack and such can be unlocked. Was going mental last night having to keep firing out packs.:D

I know the BF3 Beta had it's issues, but personally i find the BF4 Beta to be somewhat more rampant with issues. Plus i also find it to feel,play and look alot like C.O.D which i hope is rectified come launch.

Handling the choppers and vehicles i find horrible also, instead of the usual way you now have to use the stick to accelerate and takeoff. Yuck!!!! Never bothered to check if they could be changed mind!!!!

I'm expecting a massive patch to be released on launch day.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the_syco wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems assigning numpad keys to the chopper? May check how my X52 flies the chopper over the weekend...

keybinding is always a nightmare when it comes to the battlefield betas, I think dice deactivates it or something every time cause this issue comes up every time, cant bind to mice, controllers dont work, cant bind to numpads etc.

A very vocal reminder that due to the beta being on the 360 and ps3 that the version we are playing is quite old, as the beta would have to go through a certification process with both microsoft and sony.

I'd say a build from somewhere around june/july at best, at worst judging from some comments from people who've played other builds (and my own experience at eurogamer expo) I'd stress it might even be older.

hence the night and day difference between beta and full release.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Purely on stability the BF4 beta is leaps and bounds ahead of bf3 beta

I have to disagree here, i had zero stability issues with BF3 beta where as im having plenty of crashes with BF4 beta.
    I wouldnt worry much about that as apparently we are playing a client from 3+ months back.

I do agree with the rest of your post.

Side Strafe sums it up for me pretty well,the first 10 mins or so he discusses the beta, i have to say i totally agree.
    I also agree with what he says about ARMA 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

CONTROLS! (and this is not about the change in buttons

(this is from a PS3 player so probably irrelevant to PC players)

Played again last night, I simply hate the feel of the controls in the game. Yes the button lay out has changed and that is a nuisance but not a critical problem as I will get used to it. However I simply cannot get used to the overall feel of the controls, e.g. moving from ADS to hip firing is just unnatural and the sensitivity goes nuts.

It is hard to describe and I’ve read that others experience it too…

Feels totally unnatural and like I am not in control of the gun at all at times.

Surely others feel this too and hate it? Also is this a BETA issue only as it would put me off the main game if it remained.

Hi MOZ,

I hoping it's a Beta issue, i'm hoping everything i'm hating is a Beta issue!!! HAHA. Controls are the biggest headwrecker for me. If the option was there for BF3 mode or where you could assign what you want it would be great. Maybe the finished product will have it with feedback to Dice, who knows.

Also, dying happens way to easy. Plus i've noticed a few issues where i was filling a lad next with bullets and he didn't go down and yet i shot a guy from distance with one shot from a pistol that was just after spawning and running away and he died from that one shot.

What do you think of it overall?

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    keybinding is always a nightmare when it comes to the battlefield betas, I think dice deactivates it or something every time cause this issue comes up every time, cant bind to mice, controllers dont work, cant bind to numpads etc.
    One point on that; was able to have mouse side buttons as melee and zoom (rmb is a bit fecked), which really helped my game play.

The "kill cam" is nice, in that the person / vehicle that killed you is highlighted as you slowly fall down.

mozattack wrote: »
    CONTROLS! (and this is not about the change in buttons

(this is from a PS3 player so probably irrelevant to PC players)

Played again last night, I simply hate the feel of the controls in the game. Yes the button lay out has changed and that is a nuisance but not a critical problem as I will get used to it. However I simply cannot get used to the overall feel of the controls, e.g. moving from ADS to hip firing is just unnatural and the sensitivity goes nuts.

It is hard to describe and I’ve read that others experience it too…

Feels totally unnatural and like I am not in control of the gun at all at times.

Surely others feel this too and hate it? Also is this a BETA issue only as it would put me off the main game if it remained.

My son had a game lastnight on my PC he used to pad on 360 so asked me to hook up my 360 pad for PC.
    It worked fine, just had to un-assign the Q button where it was automatically assigned on the pad where the sprint function is.
    10 seconds later all is well and my son is on his way to going 17-4 K/D ratio.
    So funny looking at him owning mouse users ,he is incredibly good with the pad.
    When he had a PC [my old one which i sold recently as apart from minecraft he was on console more with his friends] we used to play together online with BF3 he would use the pad and almost always had positive K/D ratio.
    Ofcourse BF is not about K/D but im just making the point about using a pad.

Im a PC gamer first and foremost KB&Mouse all the way but when i watch him using a pad at max sensitivity im in awe everytime,almost instantly on to the enemies head when he sees them.
    Now ive seen his friends use a pad too but nowhere near as good.
    He swears the secret is super high sensitivity doesnt work for me lol :confused:

Im just getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

hallo dare wrote: »
    Hi MOZ,

I hoping it's a Beta issue, i'm hoping everything i'm hating is a Beta issue!!! HAHA. Controls are the biggest headwrecker for me. If the option was there for BF3 mode or where you could assign what you want it would be great. Maybe the finished product will have it with feedback to Dice, who knows.

Also, dying happens way to easy. Plus i've noticed a few issues where i was filling a lad next with bullets and he didn't go down and yet i shot a guy from distance with one shot from a pistol that was just after spawning and running away and he died from that one shot.

What do you think of it overall?

When I say controls I don't mean where the buttons are, I mean movement, aiming, straving, etc.... feels so odd, like my soldier is drunk...

It is offputting.

I played BF3 beta for 2 weeks solid.

I will give this 2-3 days max.

When I say controls I don't mean where the buttons are, I mean movement, aiming, straving, etc.... feels so odd, like my soldier is drunk...

It is offputting.

Could be low framerate? or even worse inconsistant framerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

the_syco wrote: »
    So... big difference between when I installed the game to my SSD, and installed the beta graphics driver.

Before;

After;

2.83GHz Q9550, 8GB ram, 1GB 4870, Corsair SSD

Installed the BF4 Beta it onto my SSD, and installed the ATI 13.10 Beta driver. Big difference. Everything is on low, but it handled a lot better, even with FRAPs running.

=-=

On the top of the "C" tower, there's a sniper rifle. If you switch to anther weapon whilst you have this, you'll automatically drop said gun.

Very good news that it runs on that set up

But a 4870..?

You can pick up a 6870 for 60 euros second hand these days, will be twice as fast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

What fps is it running at on ps3? I know its 60fps on the new consoles supposedly but that could be a reason for the controls to be a bit weird, if its an early build the consoles could be struggling to keep a steady fps (like it is even on top end gaming pcs)making the controls feel off, hopefully that kind of thing will be sorted with full release and a bit of optimization.

Id say most of these problems are beta issues, theres no way they would release the game the way it is in beta.

Typical EA though, they used the beta to get people to buy different games MOH, BF3 premium etc saying exclusive early access which turns out to be 3 days!! (Id be pissed if I bought MOH for this beta)
    Then they serve us a piece of dog p#$p thats obviously not ready for the masses! It might even put people off buying the full game reading some of the posts here!

I do have faith in Dice though, im sure they will get it right inspite of EA overlords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

It is offputting.

Give it time, it'll be sorted out.

Every single time a beta comes out players start hyperventilating that everything is broken and the world is ending.. it'll be grand I'm sure

Advertisement