Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-10-2018, 13:16   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by wench View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore Tree View Post
I guess it's all relative. Ali left 186,000 people without power and many were without power for days because so many trees had fallen on the lines. I did not see one tree down yesterday on my 30 min drive to work but during Ali I saw about 12 full trees down on the same route not including heavy branches. It was carnage.
Ali taking down so many trees left far fewer vulnerable trees for Callum to fell, even had they been exactly the same intensity.
Yes indeed and I knew that would be the case. The fact that the trees had also lost most of their leaves (my Ash trees had no leaves left) was a factor too.
Advertisement
13-10-2018, 13:21   #62
spookwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amprodude View Post
the ESB saying thousands of homes are without power etc. If they made some bit of an effort to get off their butts and go around and clear trees that are near powerlines so many people wouldn't be without power anytime there are storms. common sense approach.
We don't know what caused the power outages it might not have been trees but cables coming down due to high winds, cables touching cables, a transformer blows. wildlife, lightening, plain old equipment failure due to age and even the type of cable used can all cause power outages. I would suggest if you have any qualifications in working with high voltage cables etc or a tree surgeon maybe you could offer your services and help those trying to get power back to these area's
(3) thanks from:
13-10-2018, 13:21   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shower Doctor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
And the 30,000 who lost power due to same "bit of wind" etc ? . Lol ...
Trees should be cut down that are near lines. It’s getting stupid now at this stage.
Oh the humanity!!!

Actually its not as simple as that. Trees and hedges also provide shelter for ESB poles. Exposed poles often come down in bad storms.
13-10-2018, 13:28   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookwoman View Post
Quote:
the ESB saying thousands of homes are without power etc. If they made some bit of an effort to get off their butts and go around and clear trees that are near powerlines so many people wouldn't be without power anytime there are storms. common sense approach.
We don't know what caused the power outages it might not have been trees but cables coming down due to high winds, cables touching cables, a transformer blows. wildlife, lightening, plain old equipment failure due to age and even the type of cable used can all cause power outages. I would suggest if you have any qualifications in working with high voltage cables etc or a tree surgeon maybe you could offer your services and help those trying to get power back to these area's
Correct, the faults in Galway during Ali were much often more labour intensive involving tree cutting, tree moving, new poles, new transformers, new cablingand reconnections. Not to mention traffic control and safety procedures. Very messy with several roles involved and lots of incidents to prioritize.
13-10-2018, 13:41   #65
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore Tree View Post
I guess it's all relative. Ali left 186,000 people without power and many were without power for days because so many trees had fallen on the lines. I did not see one tree down yesterday on my 30 min drive to work but during Ali I saw about 12 full trees down on the same route not including heavy branches. It was carnage.
Because no trees fell in your corner of the forest then there were no trees down else where? Lol. For a sycamore tree - You lead a lonley existence

I saw power lines down with no fallen tree involvement yesterday.

I also saw trees and branches down from strong gusts during the night.

Also remember there was no red warning for this storm - all things being equal when comparing storms ....

Re Galway and Ali - from the ESB outage map for Callum most of the faults were in the south of the country.

Last edited by gozunda; 13-10-2018 at 13:48.
Advertisement
13-10-2018, 17:15   #66
Amprodude

Quote:
Well now you are a book of knowledge well done on your insightful post. Top marks. The reality is kid that if powerlines are coming apart because of wind speeds that are softer than that out of the cheeks of my ars* then we don't stand a chance if we had a proper storm.

Last edited by Amprodude; 13-10-2018 at 17:26.
13-10-2018, 18:37   #67
spookwoman

Quote:
Well now you are a book of knowledge well done on your insightful post. Top marks. The reality is kid that if powerlines are coming apart because of wind speeds that are softer than that out of the cheeks of my ars* then we don't stand a chance if we had a proper storm.
Try to grasp the extent of the cable network, it's not just a few thousand kilometers of cable and few thousand poles, it's over 2,300 km of cable and that does not include Eirgrid's cables. That's over the distance from Dublin to St Petersburg in Russia. There are over 2.1 million poles. There are overhead and underground cables, transformers substations and stations which are all affected by everyday weather which consists of prevailing winds, salt air, lightening strikes, they are also affected by time and damage done by objects hitting poles and cables. It also costs a lot money to maintain said network and upgrade it on an day to day basis so when a storm hits you cannot say the ESB and Eirgrid have been sitting on their holes for all that time when the power goes off. If you do not believe me the data is on the ESB website. https://www.esbnetworks.ie/who-we-are/our-networks

I don't know if you have eproctophilia or have a gastric issue but you seem to go on about your farting quite a bit which you might want to get looked at by a professional.
13-10-2018, 21:24   #68
Amprodude

Quote:
Try to grasp the extent of the cable network, it's not just a few thousand kilometers of cable and few thousand poles, it's over 2,300 km of cable and that does not include Eirgrid's cables. That's over the distance from Dublin to St Petersburg in Russia. There are over 2.1 million poles. There are overhead and underground cables, transformers substations and stations which are all affected by everyday weather which consists of prevailing winds, salt air, lightening strikes, they are also affected by time and damage done by objects hitting poles and cables. It also costs a lot money to maintain said network and upgrade it on an day to day basis so when a storm hits you cannot say the ESB and Eirgrid have been sitting on their holes for all that time when the power goes off. If you do not believe me the data is on the ESB website. https://www.esbnetworks.ie/who-we-are/our-networks

I don't know if you have eproctophilia or have a gastric issue but you seem to go on about your farting quite a bit which you might want to get looked at by a professional.
don't bore me with esb jargon that 95% of people haven't a clue what you are talking about. They aren't doing enough to reduce power failures. In 2014 we were 2 weeks without power. IF you think that's acceptable then you are a nothing but a foolish person. and yes my wind would cause more destruction the what Storm Callum would have done and I'm proud of that thank you very much.
14-10-2018, 08:20   #69
Rikand

Ophelia was a daylight hours storm
Ali was a daylight hours storm
Callum was a night storm

Random punter :: "nobody died during callum. Met eireann are stupid. I didn't see a thing"

You can't cure stupid. No matter what you do with the warnings. Stupid will always find a way
Advertisement
14-10-2018, 08:49   #70
Rhineshark

Quote:
don't bore me with esb jargon that 95% of people haven't a clue what you are talking about. They aren't doing enough to reduce power failures. In 2014 we were 2 weeks without power. IF you think that's acceptable then you are a nothing but a foolish person. and yes my wind would cause more destruction the what Storm Callum would have done and I'm proud of that thank you very much.
The data is very straightforward, I'm sure more than 5% understand it. It's important to realise that just because you do not understand something, that does not mean that nobody (or even 95%) are not capable of it.

Please go fart against a telegraph pole and see what happens. As soon as your farts have succeeded in bringing one down, your bowel problems become relevent to the topic. I suspect at least 95% of people in the discussion don't feel they have cause to be concerned about Storm Amprodude any time soon.
14-10-2018, 11:52   #71
Macy0161

Well esb faults arent nearly as frequent now as they were when we built our house. They were common any wind or snow storm. Maybe they're not perfect, but it's a nonsense to suggest that things haven't improved. I'd say people are just more "entitled".

We saw the same last winter - mid snow storm giving out about roads not being cleared, when back in the 80's storms the village was cut off for more than a week. Realistic expectations have gone for many of the population.
(4) thanks from:
14-10-2018, 13:42   #72
Amprodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhineshark View Post
The data is very straightforward, I'm sure more than 5% understand it. It's important to realise that just because you do not understand something, that does not mean that nobody (or even 95%) are not capable of it.

Please go fart against a telegraph pole and see what happens. As soon as your farts have succeeded in bringing one down, your bowel problems become relevent to the topic. I suspect at least 95% of people in the discussion don't feel they have cause to be concerned about Storm Amprodude any time soon.
it's not that hard to understand but I think 95% of people don't want needless power data. You are very funny, did you ever consider going into full time comedy with your wind?
14-10-2018, 14:41   #73
Meteorite58

Mod Note: Amprodude read the forum charter before posting here again.

Please desist from your style of posting which has nothing to offer the forum but only serves to rise others into an argument which in turn lowers the conversation and brings the thread off topic.

The Mod team will take appropriate action if the forum charter is not adhered to.
16-10-2018, 16:35   #74
Amprodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite58 View Post
Mod Note: Amprodude read the forum charter before posting here again.

Please desist from your style of posting which has nothing to offer the forum but only serves to rise others into an argument which in turn lowers the conversation and brings the thread off topic.

The Mod team will take appropriate action if the forum charter is not adhered to.
I did.
08-02-2019, 18:33   #75

Quote:
I think your one of the 5% that doesn't understand it. It's pretty straight forward.

So Its been four or five year since you didn't have power for two weeks. I think that is pretty good to be fair.
Do you think billions is going to spent to improve power resilience across the country just so you don't lose two weeks power every five years when a bad storm hits. Irelands weather isn't bad enough.

Do you know that 1+1=2?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion