Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona Virus hands

• 10-03-2020 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

With all the extra washing and sanitizing, my poor hands are in bits. I'm using hand cream like a maniac and they are still as dry as a camel's tongue in a sandstorm. I have hand cream in the kitchen, bathroom, in the car, on my desk......
    I've been using this stuff
    https://www.boots.ie/okeeffes-working-hands-jar-96g-10224416

Anyone any tips on how to stop my hands and nails drying up during this crisis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Buy the cotton gloves in boots, a big tub of petroleum jelly it's cheaper than the branded vaseline.

Slather it on at night, gloves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Great tip, thanks PC. I have both of those so I'll use them tonight. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturing lotion is also fantastic for chapped hands :)

Link: https://www.boots.ie/beauty/skincare/body-skincare/body-moisturiser/aveeno-skin-relief-lotion-200ml-10094191

I get contact dermatitis on my hands from products which contain a high volume of surfactants, and have tried a range of hand creams, moisturisers and lotions. This particular Aveeno product is the best I have used by far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Make sure when youre drying your hands you dry them totally and with a dry towel, not a damp towel, bone dry. Palmers cocoa butter body cream is great for hands, its very thick and emollient but absorbs really well. I threw a little bit on the other day as id nothing else. I was rubbing my own hands for hours after, they were so soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Only wash them with warm water. Use a gentle soap ...like dove ..moisturize ..also sunscreen .dry them well...use oil on them... .that is all you can do.

I wouldn't put vaseline on my hands ...i have to use it sometimes on irritated skin ...and over time it really dries your skin to the point of cracking when you have to use for years like i have had to..its the only thing that stops the irritating and its not a place you can see on me and a really tiny area so i don't mind..but i would never use it anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Inida Knight recommended this in the Sunday Times a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.superdrug.com/Skin/Body-Care/Dry-Skin/Gloves-in-a-Bottle-Shielding-Lotion-240ml/p/744858

ams wrote: »
    Inida Knight recommended this in the Sunday Times a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.superdrug.com/Skin/Body-Care/Dry-Skin/Gloves-in-a-Bottle-Shielding-Lotion-240ml/p/744858

Oooh, that looks very tempting. I may just have to buy it. Cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What about using facial wash ..like cetaphil..a lot of facial washes are anti bacterial ..not sure if they are totally suitable but less harsh than soap.

I also moisterize before i wash my hands ...and after ..again not sure if it interferes with washing. I do know chapped dry hands can carry more bacteria though.

Also not sure if you can still get this but e 45 cream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Wear gloves.

Podge201 wrote: »
    Wear gloves.

While washing my hands :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I'm back again :)

Using a soap/wash which contains milder surfactants could also be another option to reduce dryness and hands cracking. Milder surfactants are still effective as they're structurally the same - amphiphilic compounds composed of both hydrophobic groups (their tails) and hydrophilic groups (their heads). This recent Vox video gives a good overview of the 'science' that underlies hand-washing :pac:

Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) is the most commonly used detergent in cleaning products as it is inexpensive and effective, but it is very drying and over time will strip the natural oils that make up the stratum corneum (the lipid matrix in the outermost layer of the skin) to be reduced = drying/ cracking. The majority of liquid hand-washes contain SLS

My dermatologist recommended using mild but effective washes, for example: Aveeno daily wash (for adults and babies) instead of normal liquid soaps. I usually decant it into a soap bottle :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Can’t recommend this stuff enough, it’s brilliant.
    My hands have been in bits everyday, like crepe paper and so tight they’re sore to touch.
    When I know I’m home for the day, I have a shower, wash my hair etc, put on my pjs and put this on my hands.
    I can’t stand a cream that doesn’t soak in - I just feel like they’re attracting dust/dirt etc
    This soaks in completely and leaves your hands feeling great :)

Advertisement