Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Star Trek thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

He was very good in Jericho. Another show cut down too early!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

DS9: The Sound of Her Voice is on Sky right now. The new live action shows and their "insta warp" fleets seem to have forgotten what great stories can be told in the space between beginning and destination.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Variety has a wide-ranging interview with Shatner, 92 years and still going strong: tracks his career and life but obviously talks Trek. He throws a little shade at latter-day Trek - though if I'm honest while Roddenberry opened the door it's also common knowledge his intransigence and lack of dramatic chops held TNG back;

Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry had strict rules about what was appropriate for his show. Were you privy to what informed that thinking?

He was in the military, and he was a policeman. So there was this militaristic vision of “You don’t make out with a fellow soldier.” There are strict rules and you abide by the rules. Around that, [the writers] had to write the drama. But within that was the discipline of “This is the way a ship works.” Well, as Star Trek progressed, that ethos has been forgotten [in more recent shows]. I sometimes laugh and talk about the fact that I think Gene is twirling in his grave. “No, no, you can’t make out with the lady soldier!” 

The writers of Star Trek: The Next Generation butted heads with Gene when he was alive. 

The fights that went on, to my understanding, were big, because the writers had their difficulties. “We need some more material.” “We need to get out of here. It’s claustrophobic.” 

When you joke that Gene is twirling in his grave, you mean he wouldn’t approve of onscreen romances between crewmates on the later shows?

Yes, exactly. I haven’t watched the other Star Treks very much, but what I’ve seen with glimpses of the Next Generation is yes, the difficulty in the beginning, between management, was all about Gene’s rules and obeying or not obeying those rules. 

he also had an ... interesting perspective on Trek V that read a little bitter like he wasn't given the right support to make his film, as opposed to the truth that maybe the idea wasn't that great in the first place?

You directed a big-budget feature, Star Trek V, in 1989. It was considered a disappointment, but it has its fans today. Were you hoping to expand what a Trek movie could be by filming around the world?

I wish that I’d had the backing and the courage to do the things I felt I needed to do. My concept was, “Star Trek goes in search of God,” and management said, “Well, who’s God? We’ll alienate the nonbeliever, so, no, we can’t do God.” And then somebody said, “What about an alien who thinks they’re God?” Then it was a series of my inabilities to deal with the management and the budget. I failed. In my mind, I failed horribly. When I’m asked, “What do you regret the most?,” I regret not being equipped emotionally to deal with a large motion picture. So in the absence of my power, the power vacuum filled with people that didn’t make the decisions I would’ve made.

You seem to take the blame, but outside observers might say, “Well, the budget wasn’t there. You didn’t get the backing you needed.” But in your mind, it’s on you.

It is on me. [In the finale,] I wanted granite [rock creatures] to explode out of the mountain. The special effects guy said, “I can build you a suit that’s on fire and smoke comes out.” I said, “Great, how much will that cost?” They said, “$250,000 a suit.” Can you make 10 suits? He said, “Yeah.” That’s $2.5 million. You’ve got a $30 million budget. You sure you want to spend [it on that]? Those are the practical decisions. Well, wait a minute, what about one suit? And I’ll photograph it everywhere [to look like 10]. (Editor’s note: The plan to use one suit famously did not work well onscreen and was ultimately abandoned.)

• Advertisement

At least this will be up front about being a young adult show as opposed to Discovery and even SNW a bit where all the cast talk and weep like California teenagers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The irony being half / most of them will be British and Canadian actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

They never seem to get too far from the Vulkan salute with their branding do they? It’s a small peeve, but it feels like it was born from the earlier plans to lean heavily into Burnham’s Vulkan upbringing….before that kind of went nowhere.

There’s something kind of non-descript that feels “off” when I see a fluff-piece like that (or their own marketing) start to flash Vulkan salutes…. It’s almost as if their sense of Star Trek’s Universe doesn’t go very far beyond Mr. Spock.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JustAPoorDreamer

Yes really annoying that. Maybe it's just all they know or they think it's what Star Trek is most famous for. Who knows.

It's probably down to a marketing team who have to work off analytics about the top 3 most recognised "Star Trek" images.

• Advertisement

Yeah, to be fair the Vulcan Salute is pretty universal at this stage, and would transcend the fandom. No doubt its use in stuff like The Big Bang Theory et al maintained the visual in the zeitgeist and could understand why marketing would lean on it a lot.

Also I just seen that Star Trek Section 31 has wrapped production.

Seemingly eagle eyed people have spotted some stuff in photos that would suggest this is a 23rd century movie.

Would make sense if you wanted to do it on the cheap as you could reuse sets and models.

Not for me personally. Doesn't matter what era but anything involving the high camp mirror universe is a no for me. Same goes for the camp evil Discovery version of S31.

I will give it a try as it's a film onlike the Academy show which I doubt I will bother with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm willing to give Academy a look as Tawny Newsome, the Beckett Mariner actor, is on the writing team and is a big Trek girl herself so I want to see what she can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭Evade

She's not a writer though so I wouldn't hold too much hope.

I wonder are they gonna have this Section 31 "thing" (I wanna avoid calling it a movie) set in the 23rd century or are they gonna take some very creative license and keep it set far in the future.

I'll say one thing though: my expectations levels are negative integers here, so if it's watchable or - gosh - entertaining that'll be success enough for me.

Didn't know Newsome was herself a bit of a Trekkie; that's awesome, as if I didn't already like her. I love hearing that these new actors are themselves fans or enthusiasts for the gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

When it comes to modern Trek, I'm not even sure time frames have any notable significance. Established precepts are discarded where needed to allow for poor writing, so what year it is matters less than ever before.

• Advertisement

Updates on that.

Looks like 23rd century as Rachel Garrett is in it. So, 'The Lost Era

To be fair. That era of Trek history has a huge gap

No problem doing that era. I wonder will they go with the SNW version of the maroons.

Big Variety article that includes a first look at the Section 31 thing. And anyone thinking that this might avoid continuing this foolish deconstruction, noppppppe.

On its face, that maxim would make “Section 31” a genuine risk. The titular black-ops organization has been controversial with “Star Trek” fans since it was introduced in the 1990s. “The concept is almost antagonistic to some of the values of ‘Star Trek,’” Sweeny says. But he still saw “Section 31” as an opportunity to broaden what a “Star Trek” project could be while embracing the radical inclusivity at the heart of the franchise’s appeal.

“Famously, there’s a spot for everybody in Roddenberry’s utopia, so I was like, ‘Well, who would be the people who don’t quite fit in?’” he says. “I didn’t want to make the John le Carré version, where you’re in the headquarters and it’s backbiting and shades of gray. I wanted to do the people who were at the edges, out in the field. These are not people who necessarily work together the way you would see on a ‘Star Trek’ bridge.”

For Osunsanmi, who grew up watching “The Next Generation” with his father, it boils down to a simple question: “Is it putting good into the world?” he asks. “Are these characters ultimately putting good into the world? And, taking a step back, are we putting good into the world? Are we inspiring humans watching this to be good? That’s for me what I’ve always admired about ‘Star Trek.’”

DS9 had Section31 as a rogue faction within the Federation and that worked very well.

Enterprise used it okay, could be the end of Secrion31 as a early Human Space security service before its wound up when the Federation is created.

Discovery turned it into some sort of CIA Blacksite, which goes against the very principles and ideals of the Federation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

The secret organisation that had different coloured com badges to everyone else...real top secret stuff there.

The lost era, has huge scope for a team of knowledgeable, talented, competent writers....none of whom will get this gig. Sounds like this is more of them same really.

• Advertisement

Plus I'd worry they're gonna pull some nonsense where Space Hitler was responsible for giving the character their inspiration or career start. Why oh why couldn't they just have brought back Captain Georghiu instead of sticking with this idiotic cartoon villain. Who even likes Space Hitler??

Advertisement