Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android Forum FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Just rooted my Hero and wondering what roms you'd all recommend, was thinking Modaco 3.2, anyone have better idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

breeno wrote: »
    Lads, I'm in the same boat. My phone is completely dropping coverage about 3/4 times a day, pretty annoying if people are trying to ring text me. I got onto Meteor and they said there's nothing they can do apart from sending it off for repair which wont do anything as it's a network problem! I signed up to an 18 month contract in November last, cant have this issue going on like this until then. Do I have any options?

This is worrying. I am considering moving to Meteor tomorrow as they have offered me a free Hero (today and tomorrow only) if you move to the Surf Plan (500/500 mins/texts 1GB data €55pm).

Is there a way like on my nokia N95 (so ahead of its time) to change the radio to different bands ie use GSM rather than 3G and vice versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Hi people,

Know this has been asked before but can't find the answer. How can I get my Hero to ring more than 3 times before going to voicemail?

Doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

This is worrying. I am considering moving to Meteor tomorrow as they have offered me a free Hero (today and tomorrow only) if you move to the Surf Plan (500/500 mins/texts 1GB data €55pm).

Is there a way like on my nokia N95 (so ahead of its time) to change the radio to different bands ie use GSM rather than 3G and vice versa?

Ah yeah, you can choose to use 2G networks only through the Menu > Wireless Settings > Mobile Network Settings menu.

Just got a Hero today. HTCSync doesn't work on Windows 7 out of the box, fail.

Where is Android 2.1 and more importantly why isn't it here already if it is on other Andriod phones? Annoying.

ZYB does not support HTC Hero, also annoying.

Having to get used to the touchpad will be intresting for typing stuff.

Meteor is defo faster for 3G than the other networks though, which I like.

The UI on the phone is pretty cool must investigate more. Not able to operate it at speed like my old nokia though.

So far undecided....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Know this has been asked before but can't find the answer. How can I get my Hero to ring more than 3 times before going to voicemail?

Its in the very first post. Just read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Where is Android 2.1 and more importantly why isn't it here already if it is on other Andriod phones? Annoying.

2.1 update for Hero is apparently going to be here on the 16th april but i wouldnt hold your breath seeing as its been delayed numerois times already

2.1 has been released as part of the custom roms but no official hero release yet
    Having to get used to the touchpad will be intresting for typing stuff.

I would reccomend Swype instead of the stock keypad very handy once you get used to it
    Meteor is defo faster for 3G than the other networks though, which I like.

The UI on the phone is pretty cool must investigate more. Not able to operate it at speed like my old nokia though.

So far undecided....

took me a little while to get used to it but love it now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 conorkieran

Mr E wrote: »
    Updated 13/3/2010

What is the Android Marketplace?
    The Android marketplace is similar to the App Store on an iPhone. Its a place where you can choose from thousands of apps, games and widgets to download for your phone. In Ireland, you only have access to the free applications in the store. The paid-apps have not been made available to Irish android users yet. This is a restriction put in place by Google - it doesn't matter what operator you are with.

Never knew this. Is this a deal breaker? I've had the Iphone for the last couple of years and was about to change to the HTC Desire when it comes out. I'm not a big apps user but i do have a few useful ones that I use a lot like The guardian or a couple of games. Does this leave Irish users at a big disadvantage? Is there any idea as to when the paid apps will be made available?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Never knew this. Is this a deal breaker? I've had the Iphone for the last couple of years and was about to change to the HTC Desire when it comes out. I'm not a big apps user but i do have a few useful ones that I use a lot like The guardian or a couple of games. Does this leave Irish users at a big disadvantage? Is there any idea as to when the paid apps will be made available?

Never been a problem for me, most of the apps I want are free.

You can always install Market Enabler to make the Android Market on your phone act as if you are on US or UK networks and see everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker, most of the most useful apps are free anyway. I moved from an iPhone a couple of months ago and would never go back, I literally find out something about android that's better than OS X every day.

Fairly good Android 2.1 ROM update for Hero: http://www.villainrom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40&p=181#p181

• Advertisement

I'd wait for Villain 5.1 - some bugs in 5.0 (like automatically converting + in a phone number to 011).

99% of my numbers are stored in +353 XXX format, so this is a deal breaker for me.

The number is a balls alright I flashed 5.0 this morning, its a big improvement on the legend build but I went back to 4.0 until they fix the phone number glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

plazzTT wrote: »
    You can always install Market Enabler to make the Android Market on your phone act as if you are on US or UK networks and see everything.

Is Market Enabler only for rooted phones?

Oh wait. Just got an informative google link. It is. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Mr E wrote: »
    How do I increase the number of rings on the phone before it goes to voicemail?
    Key in **61*xxxxxxxxxxx*11*nn# followed by the call/send button and it should update the delay. xxxxxxxxxxx is voice mail number (e.g. 08*5*******). nn is time and can be up to 30. So if your phone number is 087 3333333 and you want a 30 second delay, then the code you enter is **61*08753333333*11*30#. When you enter this code, you'll get a message on screen saying "MMI Code Started", followed by a message that says "Call forwarding - Registration was successful".

Just went and tried this now on my sim free hero and i got connection problem or invalid mmi code

I just tried it there, and got the same message (connection problem or invalid MMI code)
    I tried it a second time and it worked. No idea why.

After tryin it a few times all the same everytime weird.

Funny though my ringtime is already fairly long would it have anything do with it being sim free?

Shouldn't matter (mine is sim free too).

Well its not workin ha so guess leave it way it is just taught be cool see if made a major difference.

Installed Villain 5.02 last night.
    Quickest 2.1 ROM yet, and worth the effort.

mooman wrote: »
    The number is a balls alright I flashed 5.0 this morning, its a big improvement on the legend build but I went back to 4.0 until they fix the phone number glitch.

5.02 fixes the phone number bug. This is really great ROM, very fast (seems faster than the 1.5 roms to me), and all the Android 2.1 nice stuff.

Is it just me though, or does the weather clock just say "Ireland" now instead of the city I'm in?

• Advertisement

5.02 fixes the phone number bug. This is really great ROM, very fast (seems faster than the 1.5 roms to me), and all the Android 2.1 nice stuff.

Is it just me though, or does the weather clock just say "Ireland" now instead of the city I'm in?

Ya I flashed it last night, mine just says Ireland now too and Friend Stream is missing, but its still the best 2.1 rom so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Yep. I've set mine to "Dublin" instead of "Current Location". But since the weather at the coast is frequently the polar opposite of weather in west Dublin, that's not much help! :p

How are you guys finding the battery vs the 1.5 roms? Mine seemed to take a bit of a hit today but then again I did sync everything up with it unplugged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Is this ROM really stable or are there still a few bugs to be ironed out?
    I've resisted rooting my phone so far but might take the plunge if this is working fine as I really miss the Bluetooth transfer option between phones and pcs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I think all HTC hero owners should have a read of this forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=655720

Yep, I was going to mention that today.

BigCon wrote: »
    Is this ROM really stable or are there still a few bugs to be ironed out?
    I've resisted rooting my phone so far but might take the plunge if this is working fine as I really miss the Bluetooth transfer option between phones and pcs...

I'd hold off until tonight if I was you 5.03 will be out and all the small bugs should be fixed. On the battery, I use BatteryGraph and noticed an improvement from 1.5. Did you upgrade the radio?

New version of Vanillain due tonight or tomorrow (Android 2.1 with no HTC Sense).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

All meteor customers having problems with the hero, have a look at this:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/hd793jfs/petition.html

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

squared wrote: »
    All meteor customers having problems with the hero, have a look at this:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/hd793jfs/petition.html
    Last week Meteor launced a new HTC Android phone, the Legend on their network. This phone does NOT drop off the network.

You're wrong, the HTC Legend does experience the same issue! Get your facts straight.

I've had the Legend on Meteor about a week and am experiencing the drop-off issue about once daily. More info in this thread

• Advertisement

Breezer wrote: »
    Yep. I've set mine to "Dublin" instead of "Current Location". But since the weather at the coast is frequently the polar opposite of weather in west Dublin, that's not much help! :p

How are you guys finding the battery vs the 1.5 roms? Mine seemed to take a bit of a hit today but then again I did sync everything up with it unplugged.

How can I change it from "Current Location"?

Advertisement