Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

PS. When you consider that we haven't seen northern blocking during a winter month for NINE years this is a very encouraging chart if you ask me.

ECH1-144.GIF?13-12

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal
    Strong westerly winds Friday night and for a time Saturday. Mean speeds 50 to 65 km/h gusting to 90 to 110 km/h with a risk of stronger winds at the coasts.

Valid: 17:00 Friday 13/12/2019 to 17:00 Saturday 14/12/2019

Issued: 13:00 Friday 13/12/2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

PS. When you consider that we haven't seen northern blocking during a winter month for NINE years this is a very encouraging chart if you ask me.

ECH1-144.GIF?13-12

Not strictly true now... a recent example, albeit late in the season.

CFSR_1_2018022818_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild wet windy... not often I say this but a miserable old day! watching a neighbour checking his distant field in yellow luminous jacket.. sound of wind, rain and tide.. fire lit and burning well...

West Mayo offshore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the next 6 days look cold with showers or rain/sleet in places, possible hill snow. Milder with south-westerlies from about the 20th of December and very wet up to Christmas Day. After Christmas remains very much up in the air. There is a slight chance of something much colder happening right after Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Ah yes, those famously accurate 168 Hour + charts

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Ah yes, those famously accurate 168 Hour + charts

they can be inaccurate but sometimes can give a good indication of whats to come. It seems fairly believable that the unsettled theme will continue for the time being with a very active Atlantic since September and very weak signals of northern blocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »
    they can be inaccurate but sometimes can give a good indication of whats to come. It seems fairly believable that the unsettled theme will continue for the time being with a very active Atlantic since September and very weak signals of northern blocking.

You don't need northern blocking for the Atlantic to settle down
    A bloated Bartlett high would do it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

No idea what thread we're supposed to be posting in at the moment but a cold wet evening in Letterkenny with showers turning increasingly sleety, some nice big snowflakes splattering on the windscreen on the drive home

Dratted hailiboy shower on the metal roof.... Was just dropping off... At least snow would be quiet..

West Mayo. offshore island

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Graces7 wrote: »
    Dratted hailiboy shower on the metal roof.... Was just dropping off... At least snow would be quiet..

West Mayo. offshore island

Oh I love the sound of hail!
    Metal roof is all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Heavy hail shower here in Castlebar belting off the windows

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Wet snow shower in Sallins a while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A better day than expected here in Castlebar.mostly dry, cool breeze but ground is dry. 6 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

A better day than expected here in Castlebar.mostly dry, cool breeze but ground is dry. 6 degrees

The sheets will be dry in an hour on the line !

km79 wrote: »
    The sheets will be dry in an hour on the line !

..if they stay on the line... ;)

interesting video this evening by Gav.

Basically there may be hints of a pattern change which could start to happen after Christmas. The AO/NAO may go from positive to negative and the Beijing Climate Center wants to introduce strong northern blocking for January.

This in no way guarantee's cold for us but I would really welcome a pattern change, like most people i'm completely fed up with all the rain of the past 3/4 months and would love to see the Atlantic shutting down for a few weeks minimum. This could lead to us to something colder and also dryer as we head into the new year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhp1_s1P9r8

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Basically there may be hints of a pattern change which could start to happen after Christmas. The AO/NAO may go from positive to negative and the Beijing Climate Center wants to introduce strong northern blocking for January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhp1_s1P9r8

I think the Beijing Climate Center has been out on its own predicting blocking for our locale this winter, so kudos to them if it does indeed happen.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh I love the sound of hail!
    Metal roof is all the better.

Not when you are fast asleep :eek::(:(

This in no way guarantee's cold for us but I would really welcome a pattern change, like most people i'm completely fed up with all the rain of the past 3/4 months and would love to see the Atlantic shutting down for a few weeks minimum. This could lead to us to something colder and also dryer as we head into the new year.

Is it not cold enough for you now! Crazy people... sitting here abed all but fully dressed and still shivering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Cold, clear, sunny but frosty in meath this morning, seemed to catch a couple of people out as theres a couple of cars in the ditch along the road

Cold, clear, sunny but frosty in meath this morning, seemed to catch a couple of people out as theres a couple of cars in the ditch along the road

Oh dear! Hope everyone is OK

dark and dank and still here. wet too :rolleyes:

west mayo offshore island

Is it not cold enough for you now! Crazy people... sitting here abed all but fully dressed and still shivering

The cold we have had since November is just an annoying cold that doesn't really deliver anything worthwhile. Cold zonal weather often leads to the feeling of real chill, bone shaking damp winds and cold rain which is really not enjoyable. I find if you get a cold easterly, it can be much colder in terms of temperature but the real feel may not feel as chilly, especially if it's a dry easterly with crisp, sunny and frosty conditions, it can even be quite pleasant. Even snowy days from an easterly can often not feel as chilly as a zonal based cold weather and you get the benefit of seeing some beautiful winter postcard scenes around.

ens_image.php?geoid=64969&var=201&run=6&date=2019-12-16&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

2 more dry days to go and then we are back to square one in terms of rainfall. Milder and very unsettled from Wednesday. Those rainfall spikes look worrying as the land here hasn't really had a chance to properly dry out from the deluges of the past 3 months. It wouldn't take many wet days to bring back the risk of flooding.

Towards the end of the run we see alot of scatter in terms of temperatures, most are mild but there are a few outlying cold runs which almost get us into the freezer as we head towards New Years Day.

The rainfall also looks like it will ease a little after Christmas. From Wednesday to Christmas Day looks like a very wet spell indeed. Hopefully we will see the situation after Christmas evolve into a dryer and colder scene.

I said yesterday I am totally up for a major pattern change which could hopefully bring an end to this incredibly wet and prolonged wet spell. The Atlantic has been raging since mid September with very little let up, I remain hopeful that it will run out of steam during January or February.

The cold we have had since November is just an annoying cold that doesn't really deliver anything worthwhile. Cold zonal weather often leads to the feeling of real chill, bone shaking damp winds and cold rain which is really not enjoyable. I find if you get a cold easterly, it can be much colder in terms of temperature but the real feel may not feel as chilly, especially if it's a dry easterly with crisp, sunny and frosty conditions, it can even be quite pleasant. Even snowy days from an easterly can often not feel as chilly as a zonal based cold weather and you get the benefit of seeing some beautiful winter postcard scenes around.

Hmmmm cold is cold is cold...and this is cold.. maybe in the experience of the person. but cold here

Heavy deluging rain. Dark... drab

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Encouraging signals on the long-term ECMWF this morning that we could be seeing some nice, drizzly, humidity saturated warmth as we head into January. And with the added bonus of not having any Winter storms, or even anything of slightest meteorological interest, to concern ourselves with:

2TyRBkx.png

More runs needed, but the signals are looking good.

tenor.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Strange day in cork city. While the stations say 5 degrees etc, my house received no sunlight today (north facing + low winter sun) so theres still frost on my roof + in the garden. Garden thermo says its about 0-1 degrees + some slippy footpaths outside

the long range models have been signaling a dire winter season filled with mild muck for quite some time now. let's hope they are wrong and fail to the same extent as last winters long range models.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Frost hung around all day here in Arklow

Advertisement