Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your preferred Web development language?

Options
  • 19-06-2020 8:56pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just polling users to see what everyone's preferred language is. Last time I went any where near web app development, I used C# and ASP.NET with HTML.

For some reason, I've never been able to bring myself to use PHP, Laravel, React, Native etc. I loved C# and ASP. I found it quite easy to put together something quickly. Anyone have opinions on what they use what and why you prefer it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Just polling users to see what everyone's preferred language is. Last time I went any where near web app development, I used C# and ASP.NET with HTML.

For some reason, I've never been able to bring myself to use PHP, Laravel, React, Native etc. I loved C# and ASP. I found it quite easy to put together something quickly. Anyone have opinions on what they use what and why you prefer it.

My absolute favourite is Javascript. I love full stack, and I love that I can use one language for all of it. I'm loving the MERN (Mongo, Express, React, Node) stack right now. React is great, Node/Express are easy (although its very unopinionated; which as its pros and cons). MongoDB is so powerfull, and it's essentially a JSON API.

I still do quite a bit of PHP through Laravel in work, and while it's great I'm trying to move away from it. I'm the opposite of you; I never like Java or C#/.Net.

Javascript can be very tricky, but I've spent the last 6 months trying to get very good at it, and I'm very comfortable with it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

It depends on what I want to do. For the back end:
      For something simple, PHP - once you throw frameworks like Laraval into the mix, it starts to become a PITA.
    • For cool stuff, node is interesting.
    • An awful lot of pre-existing stuff is Java-based so that's forced on you

For the front end, again, it depends
    • Much of what you'll do has to follow existing code, just like Java on the back end
    • React, GraphQL, etc. for the nice modern stuff. At least until next week when something else comes along
    • For my own stuff, whatever I come across on Codrops that interests me

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Being a Pythonista, I love Flask. Would tend to use React on the front end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

As a b/e dev (c#, .net core) I don't get to do f/e work - but recently I started doing some vue.js for a personal project and found it really nice. Probably not what the cool kids are using but really easy to get started with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

dazberry wrote: »
    As a b/e dev (c#, .net core) I don't get to do f/e work - but recently I started doing some vue.js for a personal project and found it really nice. Probably not what the cool kids are using but really easy to get started with.

Vue is cool and certainly on the rise. You see it more and more in job adverts. React seems to be where the jobs are at, and Angular isn't as popular as it was (although still loads of work out there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

It has got to be C# because of it's simplicity, the visual studio environment and TFS.
    I used to write in C++. but C# is capable of doing everything you need and has more stable libraries.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

I used to write in C++. but C# is capable of doing everything you need and has more stable libraries.

C++ used to have a really, really, terrible web development story.

Things have vastly improved in the past three years. We deployed a high performance REST API server with about two days of work. Not quite as nice as with Python, or .NET, or indeed anything else really, but it was surprisingly trouble free compared to a few years ago, and performance out of the box is superb - most of CPU time goes on JSON parsing or rendition, and that's hard to avoid :), but the thing happily scales across all 28 CPU cores and saturates a 40Gbps NIC with virtually no tuning effort from us. Nice.

I'm not sure what you mean about stable libraries. If anything they never change much, there are too many legacy libraries everywhere. You might be referring to ASIO, which has gained a number of showstopper bugs recently, but the fix is easy, just use an older ASIO and don't turn on C++ 20.

But otherwise I agree with everybody else above. C++ is a poor first choice for anything webby, unless you absolutely know for a fact you'll need to sustain > 100k/ops/core.

Niall

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

14ned wrote: »
    ...But otherwise I agree with everybody else above. C++ is a poor first choice for anything webby, unless you absolutely know for a fact you'll need to sustain > 100k/ops/core.

I've seen a web app hobbled together with Perl. The source was painful to read through, and the end product was just as ugly. So I used C# and ASP.net running on Windows Server 2012 and MSSQL. The original filthy hell spawn ran on HP-UX.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Spring-boot backend, Angular front-end (I pretty much only work on enterprise grade systems)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

Webassembly and specifically Blazor Webassembly. As much as I like Angular, I don't think I'm going to miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭gailforecast

Python generally. Although my current job requires a lot of work with Java and it’s been quite fun getting back to roots!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Webassembly and specifically Blazor Webassembly. As much as I like Angular, I don't think I'm going to miss it.

Definitely going to look into Blazor. I'm a C#/DotNet full stack dev, but my Web skills are very rusty these days.

Is Blazor used much in the industry? I've learned to be a bit wary of any MS hyped front end stuff.

Javascript / Node. Once you get promises and how the asynchronicity of it works, it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Definitely going to look into Blazor. I'm a C#/DotNet full stack dev, but my Web skills are very rusty these days.

Is Blazor used much in the industry? I've learned to be a bit wary of any MS hyped front end stuff.

Webassembly isn't new but Blazor Webassembly was only launched on May 19th so who knows how adoption will go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Usually I never had a choice on which language to use, as it depends on what legacy code needed to be supported. Saying that, I'll admit to a liking for PHP, which was quick to gain a working knowledge of and retro-fit functionality into existing code.
    YMMV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Really enjoying playing around with TALL Stack (Tailwind/Alpine/Laravel/Livewire) over the last few months.

Probably not the sexiest stack in the world, but holy crap can you get a working product over the line in a blisteringly quick amount of time.

For the corporate work, not so much fun stuff even when I do get to be hands on.

HTML 5 or Adobe Dreamweaver

Wish my Microsoft Office 2019 would be more web development centric than it is.

Advertisement