Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Naas Chat Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

No. Will be travelling to our prepaid holiday accommodation on Monday

good on you but the guards might turn you back at a checkpoint unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

donfers wrote: »
    good on you but the guards might turn you back at a checkpoint unfortunately

I don’t think they have the powers to do that right now
    That might change however but I’m sure there is more than 1 road Out of Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I travelled from Naas to Lucan today and back and didn’t pass any checkpoint. Not sure if the gardaí will be out as much this time, could be wrong. It’s next to impossible to police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Newbie20 wrote: »
    I travelled from Naas to Lucan today and back and didn’t pass any checkpoint. Not sure if the gardaí will be out as much this time, could be wrong. It’s next to impossible to police.

Passed 2 checkpoints today from Naas to Newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭jasonb

Passed 2 checkpoints today from Naas to Newbridge

I presume when asked all you had to say was you're from Naas and you're going to Newbridge, as travel within the county isn't restricted?

• Advertisement

jasonb wrote: »
    I presume when asked all you had to say was you're from Naas and you're going to Newbridge, as travel within the county isn't restricted?

Yep. Just said I was going shopping. It was 2 checkpoints on the way down and the same 2 on the way back, everyone was getting stopped.

I’ve been saying it for years there should be a road block between here and Shelbyville :-)

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I’ve been saying it for years there should be a road block between here and Shelbyville :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭you2008

pad199207 wrote: »
    Maynooth, Naas, Celbridge, Leixlip, Kilcock, Clane, Straffan, Kill, Sallins, Johnstown would never be considered midland towns.

Agreed, I saw a few seagulls at Naas another day, free the midland three :o

Yep. Just said I was going shopping. It was 2 checkpoints on the way down and the same 2 on the way back, everyone was getting stopped.

at M7?

• Advertisement

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I find this the most distressing, no way could Naas be considered a midlands town....

Agreed, I saw a few seagulls at Naas another day, free the midland three

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

We've always been a midlands town. Damn those rotten Dubliners and their eastern ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The funny thing is that they can't stop you proceeding even if you said that you lived in Dublin and wanted to walk on Naas main Street because there's no penalty for not adhering to the regulations.

Aside from that, the number of people both on boards and other social media that seem to be self appointed covid police is ridiculous.

They squeal on people not adhering to THEIR understanding of regulations. They admonish any business that does not adhere to what THEY think should be done and they all seem to be effing experts on covid.

I wish all these people would shut the f up and crawl back into their sad holes.

BTW, no one on this thread has done this. Probably cos Naas People are Nice People. (I'm going to register that phrase now :)

I see the travellers are back illegally on the ring road. Will be interesting to see how quickly if at all the Guards act.

It went from 1 to 3 to 4 to 3 and this evening there are 5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Those travellers have been around the Naas Area since the beginning of the lockdown back in March. A few of them are blow ins from Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Caoimhe2010

Is anyone still awaiting a 1st yr secondary school place for their child?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Looks like the lockdown was too late going by the news from Naas hospital. Can't believe there is a 31 bed ward anywhere these days. A member of the cleaning staff has tested positive since yesterday.

wildwillow wrote: »
    Looks like the lockdown was too late going by the news from Naas hospital. Can't believe there is a 31 bed ward anywhere these days. A member of the cleaning staff has tested positive since yesterday.

It’s Naas we’re taking about here. The day procedure ward is pretty big- Maybe not 31 beds but certainly 15-20 anyway before lockdown. Definitely large 20+ wards elsewhere especially old part of hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

wildwillow wrote: »

There is one that is certainly 25+ - its in the very old part of the hospital. Its due to be knocked in the next building phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Does anyone know how reliable the buses are from Naas to Dublin City? It seems that JJ Kavanagh are not operating 737 bus at the moment and that seems to be the quickest. Does anyone know when that will commence again? Looking for jobs at the moment and most seem to be city centre based so trying to see if it's an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

A right spot for themselves, seen plenty of dogs around the site also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how reliable the buses are from Naas to Dublin City? It seems that JJ Kavanagh are not operating 737 bus at the moment and that seems to be the quickest. Does anyone know when that will commence again? Looking for jobs at the moment and most seem to be city centre based so trying to see if it's an option.
    126 is reliable enough, but sometimes it’s only every 40-50 minutes so not very frequent. And it also doesn’t have LEAP caps and is very expensive. Would take the train, as it’s integrated into the Dublin area transport system.

no checkpoints etc driving from Naas this morning to Dublin or back

apart from the usual car on the N7 south bound before Kill with the hair dryer

no checkpoints etc driving from Naas this morning to Dublin or back

apart from the usual car on the N7 south bound before Kill with the hair dryer

I'm actually regretting cancelling my staycation - I'd love to know exactly how many people are breaking the lockdown; I'd say many thousands.

I'm actually regretting cancelling my staycation - I'd love to know exactly how many people are breaking the lockdown; I'd say many thousands.

I know some people who were told by their mobile home site that they had to leave the site last Monday as they were from Kildare

Never mind the fact they have had the mob home for many years and were at the site for nearly 4 weeks before this lockdown

I know what I would have told them

Can you imagine the scene if they didnt, pitchforks and torches outside their home at dawn on Monday morning to run them out...back to the leper colony you go...!!!

I know some people who were told by their mobile home site that they had to leave the site last Monday as they were from Kildare

Never mind the fact they have had the mob home for many years and were at the site for nearly 4 weeks before this lockdown

I know what I would have told them

Can you imagine the scene if they didnt, pitchforks and torches outside their home at dawn on Monday morning to run them out...back to the leper colony you go...!!!

I heard that story too- not sure how accurate it is, especially considering it was specifically called out that anyone currently holidaying outside of Kildare could continue to do so i.e. finish off their holiday.

It would be good to hear if people have been forced to cancel their bookings by the hotels themselves, once they know your address.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/midlands-lockdown-q-a-firstly-is-it-a-lockdown-or-not-1.4325746

And for residents of the three counties who have planned or are already on a holiday elsewhere?
    Elaina Fitzgerald Kane, president of the Irish Hotels Federation, said hotels are contacting anyone with an address in Kildare, Laois and Offaly who were booked to stay with them over the next fortnight to allow them cancel or move their booking.

Anyone already booked in can stay for the duration of their booking. One issue is people booking through online booking sites who may not have provided an address. Ms Fitzgerald Kane said hotels are contacting anyone for whom they don’t have an address by telephone or email to check they are not from the three counties where restrictions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Not sure if we are talking about the same caravan, but I was up in B&Q a few weeks ago and that right turn into the retail park ( after the tradesman's entrance ) there was a caravan parked there then. Surely traders cannot be too happy about this, not a pleasant greeting on entering the complex.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/565791/latest-thousands-of-euro-of-stock-stolen-from-harvey-norman-store-in-naas.html

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

It would be good to hear if people have been forced to cancel their bookings by the hotels themselves, once they know your address.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/midlands-lockdown-q-a-firstly-is-it-a-lockdown-or-not-1.4325746

And for residents of the three counties who have planned or are already on a holiday elsewhere?
    Elaina Fitzgerald Kane, president of the Irish Hotels Federation, said hotels are contacting anyone with an address in Kildare, Laois and Offaly who were booked to stay with them over the next fortnight to allow them cancel or move their booking.

Anyone already booked in can stay for the duration of their booking. One issue is people booking through online booking sites who may not have provided an address. Ms Fitzgerald Kane said hotels are contacting anyone for whom they don’t have an address by telephone or email to check they are not from the three counties where restrictions apply.
    We have some hotel bookings for down the country next week and intend on going. At least one has our address here but I haven't received any calls or emails...yet. That said I can't imagine any hotel wanting to cancel one night given whats coming for them this winter but we'll see.

There are some houses on a street in Graigecullen that are in Laois and in Carlow. To get to your house in Laois on the street you drive through Laois as you approach your street, then into the cul de sac where you pass about 8 houses in Carlow and the last 4 houses are back in Laois

There are a few examples of it down there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Coeus wrote: »
    We have some hotel bookings for down the country next week and intend on going. At least one has our address here but I haven't received any calls or emails...yet. That said I can't imagine any hotel wanting to cancel one night given whats coming for them this winter but we'll see.

just because you have a kildare address doesnt mean you are presently staying/living in kildare. you could have given your parents address in kildare on the booking form as thats still where your address for credit card you used to book and you havent yet changed the address since you moved out of parents house years ago. and you didnt want to cause confusion. When in fact you live in wicklow.

The hotel have covered themselves by contacting people and asking them to confirm if they are in a lockdown location. its not for the hotels to investigate to get proof.

On the moral issue, as long as your respect social distances, wear a face mask etc you are behaving ethically. Dublin isnt in lockdown but i hear there are houseparties with hundreds of people.

Advertisement