Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-07-2020, 15:27   #1
Kivaro

Paid subscription anonymity

Since I was appreciative of the resources that I found on boards.ie when Covid19 broke out, I decided to purchase another boards subscription.
When it sent it me to Paypall, I was filling out my payment information (name, address etc.) and realised that my anonymity would possibly be void if the payment was processed. What information does Journal Media get upon receipt of payment?
Advertisement
14-07-2020, 16:14   #2
Boards.ie: Niamh
Boards.ie Community Manager

When a payment is made to our Paypal account we'll be able to see your Paypal account name, the email address used and amount paid.

The subscription is added automatically to your Boards account so unless there was a problem (e.g. sub didn't appear on your account), no one would need to look at your transaction.
14-07-2020, 16:45   #3
Kivaro

Thanks for the response Niamh.

What if I skip logging into PayPal and pay on their landing page directly, as that is an option i.e. just input the credit card info plus name/address? I'm curious if it would grab and send my name from that payment interface ....
Have no problem with my e-mail address being visible.
14-07-2020, 16:56   #4

I wasn't sure if that would work so I went through the subscription process on my personal account via the method you mentioned. Paypal won't process the transaction without your name, billing address (which we, as Journal Media do not receive), email address and a contact phone number (which we also don't receive). My username, real name and email address then appear on the transaction on the Boards.ie Paypal account.
14-07-2020, 17:06   #5
Kivaro

Got it.
Thank you for going through the process to confirm.
Advertisement
14-07-2020, 17:33   #6

No problem at all.
23-07-2020, 18:11   #7
Neowise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boards.ie: Niamh View Post
I wasn't sure if that would work so I went through the subscription process on my personal account via the method you mentioned. Paypal won't process the transaction without your name, billing address (which we, as Journal Media do not receive), email address and a contact phone number (which we also don't receive). My username, real name and email address then appear on the transaction on the Boards.ie Paypal account.
Quote:

Paypal won't process the transaction without your name,

billing address (which we, as Journal Media do not receive),

email address

and a contact phone number (which we also don't receive).
Its clear from the above that JM don't get billing address or phone number.
What is unclear is name.

Does the name provided to paypal get forwarded on to JM?
28-07-2020, 10:03   #8

Yes can see the name, as I mentioned in a previous post, username, real name and email address are shared with us on Paypal. It is not forwarded from the Paypal platform to anywhere else though if that is what you were asking.

In this case 'real name' refers to either the name on your Paypal account if you have logged in to Paypal or the name of the cardholder you have given if you do not log in to Paypal (some people may use a partner's card for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boards.ie: Niamh View Post
Thanks from:
28-07-2020, 11:33   #9
Metroid diorteM

PayPal need to offer reduced information purchasing for digital goods. It puts me off buying from some smaller sellers in general.

If theyre not posting a physical object, my home address should not be flashed around.
Advertisement
28-07-2020, 11:46   #10

Home address is not shared, they collect it themselves as the billing address of the card but do not pass it on.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion