Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Woman convicted for false rape allegation against 12 men in Cyprus (Overturned in Jan22)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Good god almighty!
    hope you're well.

bye for now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Because i believe her.

And the boys acted appallingly when they returned to Israel. It very very was odd. When they returned to ben gurion aiport the israeli media reported they popped champagne and were chanting 'THE BRITON IS A WHORE' . it was filmed

I doubt the veracity of those videos since sharing them would be illegal.

See, here's the thing. Have you actually seen that video of them chanting that, or did someone you know said they know someone who saw it?

Theres a football ref called bobby madeley who came out last week to talk about an incident that saw him removed as a premier league referee. It was over a joke he texted to a mate. But in the course of the speculation last year, some people were saying he was sacked for having sex with a dog and that it was filmed. People were saying they saw the video. Problem is, it ever happened and there is no video..

Not saying that's what happened here and maybe there is a video you've seen, I havnt seen it ,but unless you've seen a video, I wouldnt assume it exists just because you hear it does..

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

Here we go... another thread for ILOVEYOURVIBES to spout her stupidity.

Seriously mods, I'm all for free speech, people voicing their opinion etc. But when every thread is polluted with her blatant utter stupidity, at some point you have to step in and get rid of this nonsense.

Get your act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

there is a series "Unbelievable" on netflix would be worth a watch strickingly similar and its a true story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

hope you're well.

Please make it stop. It's unfair to completely hijack threads with multiple posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Holly13

fergus1001 wrote: »
    there is a series "Unbelievable" on netflix would be worth a watch strickingly similar and its a true story

Yes, I found the first episode very hard to watch and wasn’t going to stick with. Glad I did though, excellent performances from the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That means if you have 4 brothers, one of them is a rapist!

**** I'm male and have 5 brothers!
    Does that mean that 1.5 of us are rapists?

The level of mental gymnastics on display in this thread would be amusing if it were not such a serious topic.

There were procedural issues with how the girls claimed were handled.
    But perhaps those errors occurred on foot of the police reviewing the evidence, the statements of the 12 accused and their mobile phones.

The move from the boys acquittal to the Woman's being charged was fairly fast.

Miscarriages of Justice happen, but in this particular instance there is something quite jarring about the incident.

Regret after pulling a train, does not equate to rape.
    As others have said, no-one comes out of this in good light I would be curious to see if the UK Home Office offers to review the evidence?
    Indeed given Cyprus is an EU member I would also be curious to see what escalation path the woman takes to clear her name.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Holly13

banie01 wrote: »
    **** I'm male and have 5 brothers!
    Does that mean that 1.5 of us are rapists?

The level of mental gymnastics on display in this thread would be amusing if it were not such a serious topic.

There were no procedural issues with how the girls claimed were handled.
    But perhaps those errors occurred on foot of the police reviewing the evidence, the statements of the 12 accused and their mobile phones.

The move from the boys acquittal to the Woman's being charged was fairly fast.

Miscarriages of Justice happen, but in this particular instance there is something quite jarring about the incident.

Regret after pulling a train, does not equate to rape.
    As others have said, no-one comes out of this in good light I would be curious to see if the UK Home Office offers to review the evidence?
    Indeed given Cyprus is an EU member I would also be curious to see what escalation path the woman takes to clear her name.

The UK government has been supportive of this girl for a reason. I don’t believe her conviction is safe.
    I find it worrying that people believe that if a woman consents to one man or indeed a threesome, that whatever happens next, she deserves.

Holly13 wrote: »
    The UK government has been supportive of this girl for a reason. I don’t believe her conviction is safe.
    I find it worrying that people believe that if a woman consents to one man or indeed a threesome, that whatever happens next, she deserves.

I haven't seen one person say that and if they did, I would happily condemn those words.

21% of people think sex without consent is ok sometimes.

How is without consent defined? Without specifically asking or after being specifically told no?

Because in the first instance , I'd say that's how most sexual encounters go. I've been in situations where the woman has instigated sex, should I have stopped her and asked her consent?

• Advertisement

How is without consent defined? Without specifically asking or after being specifically told no?

Because in the first instance , I'd say that's how most sexual encounters go. I've been in situations where the woman has instigated sex, should I have stopped her and asked her consent?

I wouldn't even engage chief. You may as well talk to a wall.

I haven't seen one person say that and if they did, I would happily condemn those words.

If you fail to win the argument then it’s time to make **** up.

It went when she wanted to castrate them even if they weren’t guilty.

Apt username is apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

hope you're well.

We won't be hearing from ILYV again it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

We won't be hearing from ILYV again it seems.

You can thank me later

I expect we will see someone with very similar opinions opening a new account. Until then, lets be thankful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Holly13 wrote: »

The level of support offered is quite interesting.
    Other than consular support and appeals for due process there has been no overriding drive from the UK for her release or acquittal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

She claims that her statement re-canting the rape allegation isn't that of a native english speaker. She says it was written by the police. Has anyone here read the statement? Do they have a link to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Albhabeth

I'm really surprised at the blind faith in the justice system evident in this thread. Re this case and the Paddy Jackson one. OJ was found not guilty by a jury...

I think her treatment by the police was definitely dodge and am interested to see where the challenges her team are planning in the higher courts turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    She claims that her statement re-canting the rape allegation isn't that of a native english speaker. She says it was written by the police. Has anyone here read the statement? Do they have a link to it?

DailyFail article I know, but you can read the statement here.

It looks highly suspicious to me, its not worded the way your average 19yr old would speak. Who says "doing sexual intercourse", for example? That doesn't make sense. Several language experts support the theory that she didn't write it herself and was coerced into signing it.

• Advertisement

Albhabeth wrote: »
    I'm really surprised at the blind faith in the justice system evident in this thread. Re this case and the Paddy Jackson one. OJ was found not guilty by a jury...

The same people that gave out about the verdict in the belfast case would have said everything was 100% right if they had been found guilty though.

I think her treatment by the police was definitely dodge and am interested to see where the challenges her team are planning in the higher courts turn out.

Really? Mike Tyson was found guilty of rape but has always protested his innocence. Do you think that perhaps he wasn't guilty or do you have blind faith in the justice system?

It seems that you are in the odd position of finding it more palatable and plausible that a woman was raped rather than think a woman might be a liar.

The same people that gave out about the verdict in the belfast case would have said everything was 100% right if they had been found guilty though.

I don't know enough about all those people to know if they would or wouldn't tbh

Really? Mike Tyson was found guilty of rape but has always protested his innocence. Do you think that perhaps he wasn't guilty or do you have blind faith in the justice system?

It seems that you are in the odd position of finding it more palatable and plausible that a woman was raped rather than think a woman might be a liar.

I don't know anything about Mike Tyson's case so can't actually comment.

And I don't know whether she's lying or not either! I just don't think the case is straight forward and I have criticisms about her treatment as a witness/victim. I would have issue with anyone not being fairly represented when questioned and then having their statements taken under possible duress or whatever used against them. Whether they were a man or woman, accused or accuser.

I don't know anything about Mike Tyson's case so can't actually comment.

And I don't know whether she's lying or not either! I just don't think the case is straight forward and I have criticisms about her treatment as a witness/victim. I would have issue with anyone not being fairly represented when questioned and then having their statements taken under possible duress or whatever used against them. Whether they were a man or woman, accused or accuser.

You know very little about this case too. You are believing what this woman, a convicted liar, is saying.

The people that knew all the facts made a judgement yet it is apparently blind faith to accept it.

You know very little about this case too. You are believing what this woman, a convicted liar, is saying.

The people that knew all the facts made a judgement yet it is apparently blind faith to accept it.

What? It's true that she didn't have a lawyer or interpreter present during 7 hours questioning. That's a fact, not just something she said. That is mistreatment by the police imo and I would question the reliability of information gathered in those stressful circumstances.

That's all I'm criticising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I don't necessarily believe her or disbelieve her, but I think there are a lot of extremely suspicious occurrences in this case.
    Reasonable questions have been raised about the legitimacy of her "confession" and of the conduct of the police during the investigation, not allowing her access to an interpreter or legal representation, etc.
    It isn't clear cut either way, no one is coming out of this smelling of roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's a pushback against the rather terrifying "guilt by accusation" paradigm a large swathe of identity politics advocates want to usher in - and have, in many cases, succeeded in ushering in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Its possible the statement was written down by an officer without good english , so the woman would have had to simplify and clarify statements for the person writing it. I cant think of any juristiction where a statement would be written by the person sitting the other side of the desk so thos is a likely explaination of why its poorly written, doesnt justify tyem not having an interpreter but ifs more likely than ‘the police fabricated the whole thing’

• Advertisement

It's a pushback against the rather terrifying "guilt by accusation" paradigm a large swathe of identity politics advocates want to usher in - and have, in many cases, succeeded in ushering in.

Are you honestly saying people are accepting a verdict of a false rape accusation as some sort of pushback?

Can it not just be because evidence has pointed towards it?

Advertisement