Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

J. Marston wrote: »
    Xavier Woods got an achilles tendon injury at a live show in Australia. Facing a long spell out with that.

It's ok, he can watch re-runs of The Golden Girls. (Skip to 3:07)

... The Golden Girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Loughc wrote: »
    At least he was hop around on the outside playing the trombone.

I wouldn't be surprised if they incorporate a wheelchair while having him handing out pancakes.

That is the first thing I thought they will do.

Big E to become a wheelchair pusher the biggest push he will every get in the WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

sirmanga wrote: »
    Something to Wrestle has been in the toilet since Prichard went back to WWE, but surely with these added responsibilities, Prichard will have to give up the podcast now. I can't see how he can keep it going.

I enjoyed it a lot more when it was WWE Network show last year. Seeing video footage while they talk really does add a lot to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

If the nxt rating keeps dropping this is the plan

https://twitter.com/tripleh/status/1186403338549637120?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I knw they will prob only be in the ring max 15/20 mins per night but still Gym work etc has to be done. Its the crew setting up the ring/ramps etc are the real victims

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/wwe-smackdown-stars-are-in-for-a-hectic-november

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I knw they will prob only be in the ring max 15/20 mins per night but still Gym work etc has to be done. Its the crew setting up the ring/ramps etc are the real victims

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/wwe-smackdown-stars-are-in-for-a-hectic-november

It’s fairly gruelling but I don’t feel too bad for them, that’s literally the life they chose. It’s essentially the same for when people pick up a guitar and decide they want to live on the road touring. Roadies and people who do setup at these things make the same decision, they weren’t kidnapped and forced into a life of slavery building and taking down sets. It’s a job they applied and interviewed for like. It’s arguably tougher for people who do it on the weekends for little to no money then go back to 40+ hour ‘real jobs’ and trying to raise families. At least WWE employees are given decent full-time wages for what they do, and now the Saudi shows seem to be opt-in I’d say they get offered a decent premium for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rollins at a recent Q&A said when Kenny Omega is done "playing around in the minor leagues" he'll be waiting for him in the biggest company with the most money on the biggest stage at Wrestlemania.

JR has returned fire with "Maybe someday he'll be over as his girlfriend."

https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1146675-jim-ross-seth-rollins-aew-over-girlfriend#2HLdX05y6Z5yxg0v.16

I love this stuff honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

That's what you call a mic drop by JR, no petty talk about dark matches or minor leagues. Just a good old fashioned put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I wonder who the 2 Hall Of Famers JR spoke to off the record?

He is right the WWE name is the draw now not the wrestlers that work for the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

That's some line by JR, when Ospreay & JR get the better of you it's time to stop trying to be clever & keep your head down.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I wonder who the 2 Hall Of Famers JR spoke to off the record?

I imagine Austin & maybe someone like Bully Ray or Edge. The latter is a pure guess but I'm fairly sure in private like a lot of guys on Legends deals like Austin are a lot more critical of WWE than they are in public as he is someone who actually does watch the product.

ERG89 wrote: »
    That's some line by JR, when Ospreay & JR get the better of you it's time to stop trying to be clever & keep your head down.

I imagine Austin & maybe someone like Bully Ray or Edge. The latter is a pure guess but I'm fairly sure in private like a lot of guys on Legends deals like Austin are a lot more critical of WWE than they are in public as he is someone who actually does watch the product.

I had forgotten that Rollins had been shot down by Will Ospreay.

Austin would be a good first guess, from what I remember of his podcast when he used to review PPV's (I don't know if he still does that), he didn't mince his words.

Becky getting involved now standing up for Seth making him look more of a little bitch than a face of the company

https://twitter.com/BeckyLynchWWE/status/1188225205203881984?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I dunno about you guys, but I’d much rather have Becky defending me than JR. Whatever you’re into though. And I agree Rollins is looking a bit of a twat lately for what it’s worth.

A lot of this is latent sexism though. JR’s comments are predicated on it being embarrassing for a woman to be better than you at something. AEW need to shut him down since they’re trying to be this progressive, forward-thinking company, he’s a liability in that regard, but it seems like the kinda place where any ‘legend’ gets to carry on however they like.

Seth has come off as a total idiot lately but all the fans but the whole backlash has been ott from most fans

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Becky and Seth would probably make decent heels but times have changed and they probably won’t turn them any time soon. I have no interest in Becky anymore. The peak of her run was the Raw invasion when she got her face smashed. The promos are cringe, in ring is average at best and wwe have milked/pushed the crap out of her with little return. The feud with Sasha could have been something but that was done in a couple of weeks

TimesArrow wrote: »
    Becky and Seth would probably make decent heels but times have changed and they probably won’t turn them any time soon. I have no interest in Becky anymore. The peak of her run was the Raw invasion when she got her face smashed. The promos are cringe, in ring is average at best and wwe have milked/pushed the crap out of her with little return. The feud with Sasha could have been something but that was done in a couple of weeks

She’s probably still the most over person in wrestling with crowds along with Cody so it’s still over to the majority

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

leggo wrote: »
    I dunno about you guys, but I’d much rather have Becky defending me than JR. Whatever you’re into though. And I agree Rollins is looking a bit of a twat lately for what it’s worth.

A lot of this is latent sexism though. JR’s comments are predicated on it being embarrassing for a woman to be better than you at something. AEW need to shut him down since they’re trying to be this progressive, forward-thinking company, he’s a liability in that regard, but it seems like the kinda place where any ‘legend’ gets to carry on however they like.
    "Legends carry on as the like" is a bit of hyperbole to say the least. Jr's comment was cringey but outside of that, it's hardly 2010 Impact as you're suggesting.

The only legend I can see in the place outside of JR is Jericho who continues to show why he is a said legend, so to me suggesting AEW are struggling to control their roster is bizarre.

And that's from someone who skips through highlights of AEW so I'm hardly a fanboy. I watch Impact and NWA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

TimesArrow wrote: »

The problem for Becky I think is that after feuding with Charlotte and Ronda, WWE did what they always do and cooled her off with terrible booking. Those were massive feuds for her and really helped her get over. After Wrestlemania she feuded with Lacey which was a step down for it. It was the equivalent of Daniel Bryan feuding with Kane after Wrestlemania 30 after his road to Wrestlemania story arc. Bryan was being cooled off by WWE back then too.

I don't see how she has cooled off really. She is a face and has been pushed super hard for over a year now and there is still no anti-establishment pushback from fans, who are more fickle than ever (me and my turn against Kofi is a testament to that). She stills gets big cheers and chants every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

See Jordan Myles, who won the NXT breakout tournament has been blasting WWE all weekend about the t shirt they designed for him. Way too many tweets to link but was back at it again today blasting ROH and calling Jay Lethal an uncle Tom.

WWE doubled down and said he was happy with the t-shirt before the release and was involved in all aspects of it being designed so something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

WWE doubled down and said he was happy with the t-shirt before the release and was involved in all aspects of it being designed so something along those lines.

Ah WWE using the Reid flair promo excuse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It get's worse; there's an SMS comment with Triple H said in a meeting that "he wants the letters more teethy"; that just about blows away any potential "Oh we did not think it looked the same" comments as well and Ach said the original design was on a white t-shirt (which makes quite a bit of difference).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

While trying to find details about the story, I saw another story about a house show in Puerto Rico
    https://whatculture.com/wwe/wwe-house-show-disaster-in-puerto-rico

Really sounds like one big ridiculous mess of a situation

https://twitter.com/gogomyles/status/1188829526727577605?s=21

He also called Jay Lethal an Uncle Tom.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/doa9jv/meta_jordan_myles_megathread/

There is the whole mess for anyone who feels like wading through it.

J. Marston wrote: »
    He also called Jay Lethal an Uncle Tom.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/doa9jv/meta_jordan_myles_megathread/

There is the whole mess for anyone who feels like wading through it.

Oh I didn’t know what Uncle Tom meant till just there

Found this scrolling through Twitter an hour ago.

Several WWE NXT Stars Are Seeking Their Release Because Of Low Pay And ‘Broken Promises’

https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakeoestriecher/2019/10/29/several-wwe-nxt-stars-are-seeking-their-release-due-to-low-pay-and-broken-promises/

An excerpt from the article
    Sports Business Journal reported earlier this year that NXT talents typically earn between $50,000 and $150,000 annually, with an average salary of roughly $80,000. That number pales in comparison to the reported WWE main roster average of $500,000 in 2015, a number that may be even higher now thanks to WWE’s substantial increase in revenue due to its blockbuster TV rights deals for Raw and SmackDown (which will net the company more than $540 million in annual TV rights fees by 2021) as well as its incredibly lucrative overseas shows in places like Australia and Saudi Arabia. While it’s important to note that main roster stars typically have to cover their own expenses while NXT stars don’t, that massive gap between the pay for NXT stars and those on Raw and SmackDown was bound to become a major point of contention eventually.

The article also mentions Finn's move back to NXT, which could potentially cause friction.
    It probably doesn’t help matters that Finn Balor, who was recently sent from SmackDown to NXT, is still under a main roster deal and will continue to receive that main roster pay, which is said to be about four times that of your typical NXT star and now with the advantage of Balor working a much more favorable schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And I'm sure they'll want to get their money's worth from Finn, taking time from others. I'm not saying him being on its a bad thing, but probably won't make other talent any happier.

Advertisement