Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MacLysaght lookup request

• 12-06-2019 10:31am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have a copy of The Surnames of Ireland on hand?
    If so, would appreciate a look up. I'm away from my copy for a while.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Yes, I have the book on hand. What surname are you interested in?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Kinsley and specifically to see if it's a variant of Kinsella please.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Kingsley [not Kinsley] " an English toponymic used as a synonym for Kinsella"

Hmm.

Grenham doesn't connect Kinsley to Kinsella but under Kinsella has Kinseley as a variant.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Same as my version of the book. There's no entry for Kinsley but there is for Kingsley with the same description.

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks everyone. More homework required here then.

A recent discovered direct ancestor has this name. I have only 2 references to her using it (son's marriage and her own - no parents or same-named witnesses recorded) so am looking into variant possibilities.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

No mention of Kingsly in the Irish Families/ More Irish Families by MacLysaght. On Kinsella he has this - see image

Advertisement