Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Joyce’s tactics were absent tonight and he didn’t get going in time. He knew Zhang would be dangerous early on and he played into that. Zhang was so much stronger and couldn’t be bullied as much with volume. His tank isn’t great though so if Joe hadn’t led with his face he’d have easily won. But he did. He’s too open. I’ve always thought the overhand rigjt was the shot against him but that straight left destroyed him tonight. Frampton called it well for me. Not only did he have the eye issue but he was also hurt. Credit to him it was bad and he didn’t give in but at 37 he couldn’t. In interview he spoke very well afterwards. Dillian wasn’t long doing a runner after the fight, hadn’t much interest in fighting Zhang anyhow.

so should Joe take a rematch? Would be ballsy. His next fight is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not moving the goalposts, I score every fight and he was ahead on my card. I expect all cards from these judges to be the same or at least close over a whole fight.

If these judges were marking bigger shots over volume of scoring punches then they are doing their job wrong.

The compubox numbers back me up.

Round 1 Zhang had 14 scoring punches to 4 for Joyce.

Round 2 Zhang had 16 scoring punches to 15 for Joyce. In this situation you look at what you marked as bigger hits. Zhang landed 14 to 9 for Joyce.

Round 3 Joyce landed 23 to 15 for Zhang.

Round 4 Joyce 18 to 15 for Zhang

Round 5 Joyce 21 to 13 for Zhang

I said Zhang won 1 and 2 and Joyce won 3, 4 and 5. The numbers back up my scoring of the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I'd say that's the end of Joyce, he was shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

styles makes fights and he was just all wrong for Zhang sadly.

I would advise him to swerve the rematch and maybe fight Whyte hopefully get a flashy win and then maybe he might get a money fight with Joshua and Fury which he would not win but at least he would get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yeah that's a good shout to be fair , definitely swerve the rematch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just on the cards: I have no real issue with the cards, as I reckon Joyce was being rewarded purely for effort and workrate; and Zhang was taking breathers.

So on a rd to rd basis, Joyce was deserving of some rds. But as regards action, substance and superiority, it was Zhang clearly ahead. And it was Zhang’s punching that closed the eye and got the fight stopped!! So Joyce really was well beaten!!

Zhang was going to have to have knockdowns to be winning on points. I think it’s a toss up either one was winning 3-2. When Zhang had that big target thats all he needed to aim for. F*ck the rounds just dont be stupid and walk into anything big, no way that eye was making it through the fight. After 5 rounds one guy had to be pulled out of the fight, that;s about as convincing as it gets. Trying to argue otherwise is like arguing for Kahn against Canelo. Silliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

joyce was talking to talk sport in the ring after the fight and mentioned another fight before a possible rematch, his mum chirped in asking why the doctor was not called for dubois to check his eye and he gave her a little comment to be quiet

mums and their sons hey

on a serious not joyce took some serious shots and his head snapped back loads, i know people say he has great punch resistance but at 37 he needs to be careful using a face for defence, joyve is such a likeable guy but i am not sure what his best plan is from here, whyte stadium fight in the summer would make a few quid for him.

The internet isn’t for everyone

An AJ landing with full intent and a Wilder with intent would KO Joyce..

Usyk woukd run rings around him. Fury could beat him blindfolded.

Any of them watching that last night would adore a crack at him to look good.

Joyce needs to see about that eye before worrying about who he fights. Another loss and what’s left for him? Title shot is likely gone.

Anyone seen or heard from Whyte since? Like a rat up a drainpipe when the thing didn’t suit him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

His defence for that left hand was dreadful, wonder what he was doing in sparring. Certainly puts the brakes on his career for now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PJ2022

You have to know boxing scoring is not as simplistic as who landed the most?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭US3

He's an expert and anyone who disagrees is wrong. Same on the MMA threads.

george warren said they have a contract with zhang now which was a smart move

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭US3

Joyce should listen to eagle eye as he himself thinks he was losing the fight before the stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Now we can see why Zhang has been avoided by everyone! Clinical stuff altogether, the man hits like a train.

John Wayne the Quiet Man today hahaha

I dont remember much about him before about 5 years ago. I’m not sure he’s that unbeatable himself. No tank anyhow. I think all of the top guys should be beating him. I think Joyce himself would win the rematch. He got a mini lesson with Jennings when he got a sickener to the stomach and then he kept distance. Everyone else has been too easy. After Parker they should have been trying to improve his defence but instead he went again with the face first approach and got taught a real lesson last night. The fact that he picked up a couple of rounds is pretty meaningless because he had to really chase it knowing that eye was banjaxed. Next up he has to regroup and fight a knock over, I’d be very surprised if he goes with the rematch right away anyhow. But that takes him to a good 38, maybe it’s rematch or bust now.

Zhang has an Olympic silver and is huge and clearly knows what he’s at so maybe he’s had a hard time getting matched up with the big names. At this stage of his career he’s definitely beatable.

• Advertisement

Did you ever hear fighters saying they won fights after it was over and their opponents hand had been raised.

Basically it's impossible for a fighter to know how a fight is going.

Joyce took some big punches that hurt him so I can understand him thinking he was losing.

I see anybody trying to dismiss my views hasn't argued about compubox.

Was he really being avoided ? He hits like a train yes but a decent boxer would have good head movement 🤷‍♂️

people like Sam jones who used to manage Joe said joyce was being avoided too but realistically he was a fighter with little to offer financially for anyone and only when he became interim was he being spoken about by the bigger fighters

Post edited by OmegaGene on

Perhaps. He’s fought a lot in USA so he’s done all from his own end anyhow to try to force things. Him and Ortiz would have been a good contest back a. While ago. I never watched him much until recently. He’d have been dangerous for someone like Wlad but anyone good would box his head off as long as they avoided him. Easier said than done. He’s in the who needs him club I suppose

I wouldn’t dismiss your views, but more dismiss your excuses.

I had it 4-1 Zhang after 5, and wouldn’t argue against 3/2 Zhang. This based off pure 10-9 must system per rd.

The wider picture that I think you either can’t see, or don’t want to see is how Joyce was clearly inferior last night during the 15-18 mins of action against a good opponent (but not at all great).

Of the 15-18 mins when both were trying, Joyce was losing every minute… Joyce really only had his success when Zhang had to take breathers. That’s what I, and others clearly saw. He was outclassed

You will look a whole lot more credible if you admit to being completely wrong about this fight. Humble pie doesn’t taste great it seems. This I’m still right anyway nonsense is draining.

Zhang is no random journeyman bud he’s definitely more than a “decent boxer”. Just schooled one of the highest rated British heavyweights.

you didn’t read my post properly so I will try to explain it again

I’m saying Zhang hits like a train yes , but a decent boxer (not joyce) would have good head movement and moved out of the way

joyce just allowed him to land punches offering no defence at all it was a poor game plan from him to use his face as a defence

Joe last night made AJ look like Pea Whitaker!!!

Nah mate you didn’t type your post properly and that’s why you’re explaining it again, but that’s okay.

Still doesn’t have much relevance anyway you can’t let Joyce’s poor gameplan take away from what Zhang can do. If it was that easy to jab the eye off Joyce why hasnt anyone else done it?

• Advertisement

Who has he fought of note apart from a half finished Parker 🤷‍♂️ Zhang was the best boxer he has fought so far that’s why

joyce was never going to set the world on fire with that style for long in my opinion

Advertisement