Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Anybody know if this is HBO or showtime . and for us is it sky or boxnation ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO

HBO/Boxnation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Canelo Points

Box Nation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Burial. wrote: »
    HBO/Boxnation

Cheers man .

• Registered Users Posts: 54,588 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    The article saying Tyson had a lack of toughness is flat out wrong..you had to beat Mike to a standstill to get rid of him. If that is not toughness then what is. Excellent chin and tough as nails. Lacked a bit of discipline here and there, but did not lack toughness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Jose Miguel Cotto had Canelo wobbled big time.

I thought we put this to bed years ago. Maybe you weren't posting on the site at the time.

Either way, Alvarez was NOT "wobbled big time", in the sense of being really hurt. The exaggeration of that incident didn't last long and I never thought it would be used against him again.

If you ever notice highlight reel KOs, an awful lot of them are 'double power' KOs. What I mean is similar to car A crashing at 30mph into a tree, the impact is 30mph. However, car A crashing into car B with both doing 30mph has an impact of 60mph. When a boxer throws a left hook and is hit by a left hook that lands marginally before his he is moving into the punch and the impact is doubled. That's exactly what happened Canelo v Cotto. Cotto's hook landed just before Canelo's hook/uppercut would have - and he still didn't go down!! He even took a number of quick flush punches as Cotto tried to finish it and they didn't obviously bother him and he was blocking and slipping the remaining followup punches within a few seconds.

I firmly believe that incident actually showed how good his chin was rather than the opposite.

Canelo KO
    Spot on mega. And he was firing back within seconds whilst still taking clean shots. Excellent chin and composure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    My main reason would be his feet. He moves like he's underwater. GGG is tremendous at cutting the ring off and will constantly be on top of him. I'm not expecting a clean KO, more likely a stoppage with Canelo against the ropes taking a beating. Not saying it'll be early. Probably mid to late with Canelo taking a lot of punishment from the opening bell. This is a horrendous matchup for him.

I'm not saying Canelo is definitely going to win, but one of the reasons I think he'll do well is because this is a good style matchup for him.

The likes of Lara is a bad style for Alvarez as his slow feet mean constant difficulty getting into position. If Lara was a bit more positive in that fight he would have won it, instead he shamelessly ran and lost a fight he could have won. That won't be the case with Golovkin.

GGG will come straight at him, which is a dream come true for Canelo. He is possibly the best combination counter puncher in the game. He is extremely accurate and GGG's defense is well below average, meaning GGG is going to be hit - a lot. And I don't care how good his chin is, after a while on the receiving end of consistent hard punches he won't be quite so gung-ho to walk straight at Canelo. This could give Canelo the breaks in action he seems to need to fight at a less taxing pace, which negates the one worry I have, which is workrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    megadodge wrote: »
    My main reason would be his feet. He moves like he's underwater. GGG is tremendous at cutting the ring off and will constantly be on top of him. I'm not expecting a clean KO, more likely a stoppage with Canelo against the ropes taking a beating. Not saying it'll be early. Probably mid to late with Canelo taking a lot of punishment from the opening bell. This is a horrendous matchup for him.

I'm not saying Canelo is definitely going to win, but one of the reasons I think he'll do well is because this is a good style matchup for him.

The likes of Lara is a bad style for Alvarez as his slow feet mean constant difficulty getting into position. If Lara was a bit more positive in that fight he would have won it, instead he shamelessly ran and lost a fight he could have won. That won't be the case with Golovkin.

GGG will come straight at him, which is a dream come true for Canelo. He is possibly the best combination counter puncher in the game. He is extremely accurate and GGG's defense is well below average, meaning GGG is going to be hit - a lot. And I don't care how good his chin is, after a while on the receiving end of consistent hard punches he won't be quite so gung-ho to walk straight at Canelo. This could give Canelo the breaks in action he seems to need to fight at a less taxing pace, which negates the one worry I have, which is workrate.
    I think you've got the outcome the wrong way around tbh. If you think Canelo is going to throw his usual flashy combination punches I think you're well off. It'll be Canelo who'll be the gun shy one after he gets a sense of GGG's power.

Anyone who stands in front of GGG gets blasted out of there. Why should Canelo be any different? You're being very optimistic if you think Canelo will like it up close with GGG and is going to take his power and light him up with counter punches. I'll take GGG over any middleweight in the pocket.

People are getting badly fooled by the Jacobs fight imo. He's two inches taller than GGG, had a big reach advantage and has far more power, hand speed and better movement than Canelo. Jacobs was absolutely massive in there. A more difficult stylistic matchup for Golovkin compared to the smaller Canelo.

Canelo's power is massively overrated imo. Couldn't get a tiny Miguel Cotto out of there. Chavez Jr took punishment for 12 rounds yet you don't believe the iron chinned GGG can?

At what point did everyone start giving Canelo such a good chance in this fight? Nobody did a couple of years ago. Canelo has fought Khan, Liam Smith and the skeleton of Chavez Jr since. GGG has fought Brook and Jacobs, two good movers and polar opposite fighters to Canelo.

I may get egg on my face come fight night but I really don't think I will. Really struggling to understand what people picking Canelo are seeing.

Canelo Points
    megadodge wrote: »
    Jose Miguel Cotto had Canelo wobbled big time.

I thought we put this to bed years ago. Maybe you weren't posting on the site at the time.

Either way, Alvarez was NOT "wobbled big time", in the sense of being really hurt. The exaggeration of that incident didn't last long and I never thought it would be used against him again.

If you ever notice highlight reel KOs, an awful lot of them are 'double power' KOs. What I mean is similar to car A crashing at 30mph into a tree, the impact is 30mph. However, car A crashing into car B with both doing 30mph has an impact of 60mph. When a boxer throws a left hook and is hit by a left hook that lands marginally before his he is moving into the punch and the impact is doubled. That's exactly what happened Canelo v Cotto. Cotto's hook landed just before Canelo's hook/uppercut would have - and he still didn't go down!! He even took a number of quick flush punches as Cotto tried to finish it and they didn't obviously bother him and he was blocking and slipping the remaining followup punches within a few seconds.

I firmly believe that incident actually showed how good his chin was rather than the opposite.
    Maybe so. I wasn't using it as a stick to beat Canelo with tbh. Just using it as an example of a time he was wobbled, which he definitely was. I do rate his chin.

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    The Brook fight swayed me, and others I'd imagine. And rightly so..

GGG is not much bigger than Canelo, and for me Canelo presents more problems and more substance on offence than Brook. I also think that Canelo is underrated in the cute/slick/ring generalship sense. He's a very smart and intelligent fighter on offence and defense.

If he fights well he has to present GGG with problems. Sure, GGG could blast him away. GGG hits hard and if he connects clean he could end this.

Intriguing match. I just have a feeling my that Canelo will adapt better and will figure out more ways to both win on offence and defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    Nice posts megadodge

Canelo Points
    walshb wrote: »
    The Brook fight swayed me, and others I'd imagine. And rightly so..

I think that's the problem for me. You're using a fight in which GGG came up against a fighter with superior hand speed and good movement as a reason to pick Canelo who doesn't possess either of those traits. Where's the logic in that?

I honestly do believe GGG didn't feel any of Brook's power in that fight and was happy to walk through his punches and take some to give some. Made him look bad at times. Again, won't be the same against Canelo.
    GGG is not much bigger than Canelo

There's a decent size difference. The head to head at the London press conference showed it. GGG the clear bigger man. More of a difference than I expected to be honest.
    I just have a feeling my that Canelo will adapt better and will figure out more ways to both win on offence and defence.
    Where's the substance though? How does Canelo do it exactly? What does he do defensively to keep GGG off him? He can't run like Brook/Jacobs did.

Canelo KO
    You don't have to run to defend..

Canelo is not grease lightning, but he puts together altogether better combinations than Brook. Harder, more sustained, more varied and yes, as quick. And IMO faster hands and combinations than GGG. As I said earlier I feel he will be starting and finishing the exchanges better than GGG.

Canelo Points
    You don't have to run to defend..

Canelo is not grease lightning, but he puts together altogether better combinations than Brook. Harder, more sustained, more varied and yes, as quick. And IMO faster hands and combinations than GGG. As I said earlier I feel he will be starting and finishing the exchanges better than GGG.
    I don't disagree that he can win exchanges. I think he probably will do early. It's doing it for 12 rounds against the P4P hardest hitting boxer in the sport that I have a problem getting my head around.

So you think Canelo can be the first fighter to consistently exchange in the pocket with GGG and make it through 12 rounds? You're fully entitled to your opinion but that's slightly bonkers to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Trying all day to get the $300 tickets but no luck. Rang the credit card number and the cheapest tickets right now are $1500.

So 4 ticket categories are gone: $300, $500, $850 and $1000:(

Very disappointed.

Canelo KO
    I don't disagree that he can win exchanges. I think he probably will do early. It's doing it for 12 rounds against the P4P hardest hitting boxer in the sport that I have a problem getting my head around.

So you think Canelo can be the first fighter to consistently exchange in the pocket with GGG and make it through 12 rounds? You're fully entitled to your opinion but that's slightly bonkers to my mind.

He does not have to be in the pocket too long..here and there here and there.

And are you maybe overestimating GGGs capacity to eat punches? Canelo has heavy enough hands. Add this to his accuracy and I think GGG may not be so eager to engage for the sake of it.

Canelo KO
    SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Trying all day to get the $300 tickets but no luck. Rang the credit card number and the cheapest tickets right now are $1500.

So 4 ticket categories are gone: $300, $500, $850 and $1000:(

Very disappointed.

Push the boat out. You know you want to.

Canelo Points

He does not have to be in the pocket too long..here and there here and there.

And are you maybe overestimating GGGs capacity to eat punches? Canelo has heavy enough hands. Add this to his accuracy and I think GGG may not be so eager to engage for the sake of it.
    But my point is that he doesn't have the footwork/speed to dictate that. GGG will be on top of him, making the ring small and Canelo won't have the legs to escape like Jacobs did. As the fight goes deeper and Canelo tires it's only going to become more pronounced.

Canelo's power is overrated enough as it is imo but now he's fighting a fully fledged middleweight I think it gets shown up further. If GGG doesn't like the power I think he can still fight like he did against Lemieux and win behind the jab. There are a number of tools in his arsenal that he can use to win imo.

But let's not forget who the puncher in this fight is, it's GGG. Exchanging in close suits the puncher. Eventually he's going to hurt Canelo and Canelo is going to become reluctant to throw and shell up which is where GGG takes over. Why the narrative being spun on here is that GGG will be the one to become reluctant I'm not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Canelo Points
    Wanna know how Canelo v GGG goes? Alvarez likes to go to the ropes yes? He gets pulverized. Center of the ring....pulverized......gassed and pulverized.

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    But my point is that he doesn't have the footwork/speed to dictate that. GGG will be on top of him, making the ring small and Canelo won't have the legs to escape like Jacobs did. As the fight goes deeper and Canelo tires it's only going to become more pronounced.

Canelo's power is overrated enough as it is imo but now he's fighting a fully fledged middleweight I think it gets shown up further. If GGG doesn't like the power I think he can still fight like he did against Lemieux and win behind the jab. There are a number of tools in his arsenal that he can use to win imo.

But let's not forget who the puncher in this fight is, it's GGG. Exchanging in close suits the puncher. Eventually he's going to hurt Canelo and Canelo is going to become reluctant to throw and shell up which is where GGG takes over. Why the narrative being spun on here is that GGG will be the one to become reluctant I'm not too sure.

Canelo hasn't got Floyd's legs, but watch more of him, he can move and he can move economically and effectively. He has very good ring generalship. Plus, I am of the opinion that his best defence is not necessarily his legs and moving, but more subtle changes in direction and his upper body and head movement. Kind of like Mayweather and Toney when in close. He has options because he has intelligence. That is his key.

Canelo KO
    I have made a consistent point that IF Canelo can "hurt" and stun GGG then this is where he can win. If he cannot then I think GGG probably gets to him mid rds for the stoppage, and I think via the body is his best route, hence why I said that this is the area that Canelo needs to work on for himself. Canelo hits and discourages GGG then Canelo can survive and win on points is my feeling.

I suppose I am thinking that anyone being quite confident of victory for either man is maybe going to be a bit surprised. Nobody should be overestimating or underestimating either man.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

GGG KO
    Is it going to be PPV on BoxNation or is that just for non-subscribers. I'm sure they've always said that they would never charge extra for fights. Looks like on the schedule on the website that its PPV

Canelo KO
    Chieftain wrote: »
    Is it going to be PPV on BoxNation or is that just for non-subscribers. I'm sure they've always said that they would never charge extra for fights. Looks like on the schedule on the website that its PPV

It will unlikely be PPV on BoxNation. They have never done this before and from memory they have had some pretty big fights.

Subscribe to BoxNation and it's yours. Best value for money in sports...

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

GGG KO
    It will unlikely be PPV on BoxNation. They have never done this before and from memory they have had some pretty big fights.

Subscribe to BoxNation and it's yours. Best value for money in sports...

Yeah I think its fantastic value alright....they do have some great fights. Just wondered because i'd never seen them mention PPV for a fight before

Canelo KO
    Yeah I think its fantastic value alright....they do have some great fights. Just wondered because i'd never seen them mention PPV for a fight before

There was a rumor that IF they got Pac-May that there would be a PPV side to it...But we all knew Sky would take that....

Things may change, but in the few years they have been on air never a PPV applied...

Canelo Points
    Canelo hasn't got Floyd's legs, but watch more of him, he can move and he can move economically and effectively. He has very good ring generalship. Plus, I am of the opinion that his best defence is not necessarily his legs and moving, but more subtle changes in direction and his upper body and head movement. Kind of like Mayweather and Toney when in close. He has options because he has intelligence. That is his key.

He's a bad mover imo. It's his biggest weakness. He's got good ring generalship against static fighters who have no idea of movement themselves. GGG will expose this weakness big time. Walking into the pocket and defending against GGG with head movement is suicide. Eventually Canelo is going to get caught clean. Not to forget GGG is a tremendous body puncher as well.
    I have made a consistent point that IF Canelo can "hurt" and stun GGG then this is where he can win. If he cannot then I think GGG probably gets to him mid rds for the stoppage, and I think via the body is his best route, hence why I said that this is the area that Canelo needs to work on for himself. Canelo hits and discourages GGG then Canelo can survive and win on points is my feeling.

I suppose I am thinking that anyone being quite confident of victory for either man is maybe going to be a bit surprised. Nobody should be overestimating or underestimating either man.

GGG has fought fighters who punch far harder than Canelo and never been hurt. I'm not sure why you think Canelo is the man to do this. He's never been stunned in nearly forty fights and he's now fighting one of the smaller fighters he's fought at middleweight and you think he can be stunned? Can't see it.

Obviously Canelo can win this but it's only an outside chance for me if he somehow evades GGG's shots for 12 rounds. I don't see a reasonable argument to pick him when the majority of the advantages are with Golovkin. Very confident Golovkin wins this.

Canelo Points

I'd be pretty confident it's going to be Boxnation/BT PPV. They'd have announced details by now if it was just a regular show.

I think they'll have Saunders fighting the same night in the UK and include it in the PPV package.

Canelo KO
    Eventually Canelo is going to get caught clean. Not to forget GGG is a tremendous body puncher as well.

A point I have made. I think it's the area that Canelo needs to work on, protecting from body shots.

For me it's a bit of a toss up.

One of the best style fights I can think of in a really long time. I juts hope it works itself into being an excellent fight.

One thing I thinks is that it won't be all that messy. Neither mad is messy. But maybe Canelo needs to be a little messy on defense to give himself a better chance.

• Advertisement

Canelo Points
    A point I have made. I think it's the area that Canelo needs to work on, protecting from body shots.

For me it's a bit of a toss up.

One of the best style fights I can think of in a really long time. I juts hope it works itself into being an excellent fight.

One thing I thinks is that it won't be all that messy. Neither mad is messy. But maybe Canelo needs to be a little messy on defense to give himself a better chance.
    How good a fight it is will be down to GGG I'd suspect. I wouldn't be surprised if he fights behind the jab against the smaller man and breaks Canelo down similar to the Lemieux fight. His jab is another clear advantage imo. Golovkin's definitely superior.

Advertisement