Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should Ireland Re-Introduce the wolf?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why would wolves spend their time chasing small scrawny agile foxes or fast deer when there are millions of meaty slow moving cows and sheep all around the country.
    Bad idea

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It seems to be farmers who are most opposed to species reintroduction. And their concerns are valid but the ecotourism potential of beaver reintroduction could be considerable.

I also think shooting and poisoning reintroduced eagles is despicable and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. It seems we still have quite an immature attitude to wildlife here in Ireland.

1. Their concerns are valid because it's usually their property. Can we bring in tarantulas to the warm sitting rooms of Foxrock?

2. There is no beaver tourism. There is angling tourism, they might be concerned about the effect of beavers on watercourses.

3. Before prosecuting farmers, come to where I work. Look out the window. I can see the Reeks and part of the National Park. It's vast. And beyond that it stretches away to Waterville. I suspect it contains more than 10,000 people.

Now tell me...whodunit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Nift

1. Their concerns are valid because it's usually their property. Can we bring in tarantulas to the warm sitting rooms of Foxrock?

what?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Nift wrote: »
    It was World War One and its not why we exterminated Wolves.

Think you are over stretching with the danger angle there.

Yes that is true but I was using the ww1 point to highlight how dangerous they can be. We exterminated them because they were dangerous to livestock and people. Even this is the minor point, we just don't have the space. Look at the issues caused by pit bulls and dogs of that ilk (Great dogs btw, ****ty owner == ****ty dog). A wolf is a bigger, wild version of this animal with greater bite strength. If you can convince the wolf population not to hunt easy meat like livestock and pets then maybe its an idea.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Beaver tourism... probably not what you think it is.

• Advertisement

Pity people here are so ignorant of wolves in Ireland. The word wolf appears in many places.

‘Wolves in Ireland, A Natural and Cultural History’ by NUI Galway geographer Dr Kieran Hickey is worth a read.

Then people wouldn't be falling over themselves to rip the piss.

Long after wolves were killed in England and Scotland, our population remained.

I for one lament our boring mostly animal free land.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How does one go about "managing" an 85lb wild adult male wolf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭HughWotMVIII

I came into this thread thinking "the wolf" was a euphemism for some kind of sexual thing only Irish people knew about.

Don't ask me why. I am not sure if I am relieved or disappointed.

what?:rolleyes:

The farmers own their land. It's private property. And usually, it's their business as well. It's as private as a house in Dublin.

Did you really not get that point?

Where would you put these wolves, seeing as you refer to the ignorance of others?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Waste of money; they'll be hunted and shot when they prey on the farmstock. They'll be treated as wild dogs on the walking trails, and also probably shot.

• Advertisement

The farmers own their land. It's private property. And usually, it's their business as well. It's as private as a house in Dublin.

Did you really not get that point?

Where would you put these wolves, seeing as you refer to the ignorance of others?

No i was refering to Foxrock? What does that have to do with anything?

Farming or property rights gives farmers no right to poison endangered birds.

I know wolves will never be introduced. For loads of reasons, nimbyism being one of the main, typical Irish one's.

fizzypish wrote: »
    Yes that is true but I was using the ww1 point to highlight how dangerous they can be. We exterminated them because they were dangerous to livestock and people. Even this is the minor point, we just don't have the space. Look at the issues caused by pit bulls and dogs of that ilk (Great dogs btw, ****ty owner == ****ty dog). A wolf is a bigger, wild version of this animal with greater bite strength. If you can convince the wolf population not to hunt easy meat like livestock and pets then maybe its an idea.
    They were also killed as trophies and for sport.

So what if they took a few sheep, farmers would have to adapt and would be compensated for losses. It might reduce over stocking if farmers kept fewer sheep.

I know wolves will never be introduced. For loads of reasons, nimbyism being one of the main, typical Irish one's.

Do you keep one in your back yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭fizzypish

pg633 wrote: »
    They were also killed as trophies and for sport.

So what if they took a few sheep, farmers would have to adapt and would be compensated for losses. It might reduce over stocking if farmers kept fewer sheep.

Agreed that they were trophy hunted as well most likely. So what if they took a few sheep? Firstly, farmers aren't the wealthy lords people may think they are. Farmings hard and tough to make a living from. Those few sheep are your profit margin. Compensated for the losses, ok but we pay for that. Thats money out of our pocket and the cost of monitoring the wolf population. Probably would be a pretty penny too. Farmers would have to adapt? Someone else already said this but how would you adapt to a large predator being added to your workplace?

Russian Bear is best bear.

False.

Black bear.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ireland is so denuded of real wilderness that it's actually very sad. Of course, humans and human activity is to blame.

But there is a new plan to "re-wild" the Nephin Beg area of North Mayo as it is very sparsely populated and covers a decent enough area. I think it's a worthy initiative, to try to encourage native woodland to regenerate, rather than have sheep overgraze the land and destroy the ecosystem. And there is talk of species reintroduction.

Perhaps in 100 years, we will have successfully reforested and re-wilded quite a few places on this island and will look back in both bemusement and horror at the attitudes to wilderness that currently prevail among some quarters in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It wont work.
    As already said, we don't have enough unpopulated areas.
    My wife's village in the Tatras Mountains has wolves and bears in the forests and mountains around them.
    They occasionally come into the village if the winter is very bad! My in-laws often have out to us for walking at sunset on a summers evening on the edge of the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

One would need to fence off somewhere like Glenveagh national park for a reintroduction.

I will be going to Yellowstone later this year, looking forward to seeing the wolves and bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

sheep_zpsysgqiuuq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

How's about we start off with a werewolf as a test case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

This thread is mildly amusing.
    Firstly because there are farmers in Iceland and the Baltic states looking on in envy at the climate and land and growing season that we have here and how much food that we are able to produce.

Secondly we have whatever the opposite of farmers in this country is, looking at this land and wishing it was like Iceland and the Baltic states.

Maybe we should swap a few people around or do an exchange.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

RobertKK wrote: »
    One would need to fence off somewhere like Glenveagh national park for a reintroduction.

I will be going to Yellowstone later this year, looking forward to seeing the wolves and bears.

I've always wanted to go there. I hope you enjoy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Wolverine would be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I personally know lads who despise the proliferation of buzzards these days and want them shot despite knowing feck all about them."Sure,they fly away with lambs" or "They are killing the pheasants". Absolute bollix.You'd see more dead pheasants on the roadside after being hit by cars.Imagine if they had to deal with wolves.
    Ireland hasn't enough wilderness and large game to support wolves,livestock would be too easy a target.
    Wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone etc.to restore the balance of predator and prey,it was an easier way to control numbers and keep down overpopulation and weed out weaker animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

If the Wolves are a problem we can come up with a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I've always wanted to go there. I hope you enjoy it.

I wanted to go since I was 6 years old, and saw a picture of the Old faithful geyser in a book. Going there as part of a tour to see the solar eclipse.
    I should enjoy it, got an email yesterday saying one needs travel insurance (but that is a given) in case of things like personal injury, lost luggage and it then says 'run in with bears'.
    I hope you get there soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

RobertKK wrote: »
    I wanted to go since I was 6 years old, and saw a picture of the Old faithful geyser in a book. Going there as part of a tour to see the solar eclipse.
    I should enjoy it, got an email yesterday saying one needs travel insurance (but that is a given) in case of things like personal injury, lost luggage and it then says 'run in with bears'.
    I hope you get there soon too.

I'd say you can bearly contain yourself

*gets Coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

There's loads of werewolves on boards.ie already!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1763

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That video of Yellowstone was amazing, thanks for posting it. Sadly there's nowhere in Ireland large enough to do something like that but it would be lovely if there was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yes is the simple answer. From an ecological point of view it's not as simple as "there used to be X animal in a certain country". Reintroducing animals previously present in a country's fauna pool has been shown to have had positive effects. or instance, Yellowstone Park had a problem with the large amount of deer in the park completely stripping the trees and plants of leaves.
    Prior to this wolves used to keep the deer population under control. Until they were hunted to extinction that is.

A few years back wolves were reintroduced and the park is thriving. The deer population decreased, the trees have more foliage, beavers came back as a result of the new greenery and bears came back into the park. That's a remote example but it's indicative of the type of benefits that can come about.

Advertisement